Garmin 530 v wahoo elemnt bolt

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

3Pio

by 3Pio

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:17 am
Will do but my next ride is more than two weeks away. I just had an ankle surgery last week and I need at least two more weeks of healing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks in advance.. Wish u a quick healing and to get on bike as soon as possible..Cheers

by Weenie

SuperSix2018

by SuperSix2018

Thanks for everyones views. Im still uncertain which one to get.
I run the follwoing sensors:
- Power meter
- Garmin Fenix 5 Plus watch
- Wahoo kickr trainer

Does anyone have any coments on whether a Garmin 530 or a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt will be better suited?

guyc

by guyc

It makes no difference. Pick the one you like the look of the most. They’ll both do the job and then some.

jlok

by jlok

I'd go for the 530 as I rely on some cool CIQ apps like Xert Player and Xert Datafields.
Litespeed T1sl Disc / BMC TM02 < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

dim

by dim

I've got a Garmin Edge 1000 and am looking for a 2nd unit as a backup to be used on long tours (wild camping/fishing) aswell as long Audax rides

The Edge has bugs but I always get to where I indent to, be it a few wrong turns (especially at crossroads) and sometimes it cannot find the sattelite

I'm keen for a Wahoo Element Bolt but a quick question:

do I have to have it connected to my phone all the time, and if not, can I download rides etc using a cable from my computer without syncing to my phone?
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

pdlpsher1 wrote:They are apples and oranges. Do you need turn by turn navigation? I don’t think the Bolt provides it unless you pay RideWithGps and use them to generate the TBT guidance.
You don’t need a paid RideWithGPS account to get TBT directions with the Bolt. It works fine with the free account.

Now, Strava maps are a different story. You will not get tbt if your map was made in Strava (regardless of whether you have a paid Strava account or not). However, Wahoo has announced that Strava maps tbt support is coming soon (if not already out). I’ve long since migrated all my maps to RideWithGPS, so it doesn’t matter to me.
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

dim wrote: I'm keen for a Wahoo Element Bolt but a quick question:

do I have to have it connected to my phone all the time, and if not, can I download rides etc using a cable from my computer without syncing to my phone?
The Bolt does not need to be connected to a phone at all while riding. You will lose Live Tracking ability without a mobile connection, though. However, navigation works fine.

You can download maps to you Bolt over USB from you laptop.

https://wahoofitness.yonyx.com/y/conver ... 764e10d166
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The 530 is a far superior piece of hardware so the only reason to get the BOLT is if you are particularly hooked on the way Wahoo handles data screens. I've found that simply creating 8 or so different data screens on my Garmins and scrolling to the one I want for a particular task is sufficient.

In the meantime the 530/830 boots faster, has a great color screen, has Cycling Dynamics for Assioma and Vector users, has hydration/nutrition tracking, FirstBeat, aerobic/anaerobic TE, TSS, TrailForks, better navigation, etc.

Adjusted for release date/age, the 530/830 are the best computers ever released IMO.

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

I love the simplicity of my bolt, it works great and is so easy to use. I have had several Garmins over the years and thier software is quite poor IMO.
Pain is my friend!