I just don't &@#%ing understand

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

filip00

by filip00

I have one very simple straightforward advice for you. If you want to ride faster and get stronger - go ride with guys stronger than you. Ask them for advice and ride with them as much as you can. It's mindblowing how fast you can progress when you constantly ride with guys who are stronger than you are.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Simple training tips:
1. Get a power meter and a heart rate strap if you don't have them already.
2. Figure out your FTP and power to weight ratio.
3. Get your hydration and nutrition sorted correctly (I often get this wrong).
4. Use Stava and something like https://intervals.icu/ to montior your freshness, fitness and fatigue.
5. If your power to weight is over 4, don't stress being slower than anyone else, you are very fit. The other guys are machines CAT1s or Neo-pros and deserve your respect (or they're cheating).

:thumbup:

by Weenie

otoman

by otoman

Clearly anyone that passed you was on an e-bike.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

claus

by claus

"power to weight over 4" refers to "FTP", right?

"don't stress being slower": why shouldn't someone "stress" in that case?
I "stress being slower" when someone overtakes me and I can't follow when I want to do it.

Marin

by Marin

What's your age, weight and the max VAM (vertical m / hr) you've done for about 20min? You can see this in your Strava segement results.

TheRich

by TheRich

filip00 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:25 pm
I have one very simple straightforward advice for you. If you want to ride faster and get stronger - go ride with guys stronger than you. Ask them for advice and ride with them as much as you can. It's mindblowing how fast you can progress when you constantly ride with guys who are stronger than you are.
Distilled down to the basic truth, since most group rides are dick swinging contests and far from the "training" they're claimed to be:

I have one very simple straightforward advice for you, ride as much as you can. It's mindblowing how fast you can progress when you constantly ride.

Ride your bike, ride with intent, dedication and purpose while still keeping it fun, and do it consistently.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

claus wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:11 pm
"power to weight over 4" refers to "FTP", right?

"don't stress being slower": why shouldn't someone "stress" in that case?
I "stress being slower" when someone overtakes me and I can't follow when I want to do it.
Power to weight ratio. Mine is an FTP of 300w and weight 75kg. Power to weight is therefore 4. I'm happy with this for my age (44). I could get better but I'd need a coach and really work at it, but I think that would start to be unenjoyable.

A power to weight ratio of 2-3 is beginner.
4 is good/club rider.
5 is excellent cat1 and neo-pro.
6 or higher pro.

So you've just got to get the tools, measure your capability. Then don't 'stress out' over the fact that someone if quicker than you if they are super-human. People like Phil Gaimon and Chris Froome can hold 450w watts for 30 minutes or more. That's amazing, we can enjoy watching and why would you stress out over that? You just have to say chapeau.

It could be that your power to weight ratio is 3.5, yet you think you are super fit. Possibily you don't understand your potential or the level other people are at or both, but you first need to quantify where you are at.

I was riding on Gran Canaria in February, and I was overtaken and couldn't hang with the guy, I had a look at him and saw it was Simon Yates on a training ride. :lol: