Deployed training

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

So as the title states I am getting ready to deploy for 120days and am curious if bike machines or spin machines at the gym would actually improve my performance. I am not sure what kinds they have there yet but hoping they have a good machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

07stuntin6r wrote:So as the title states I am getting ready to deploy for 120days and am curious if bike machines or spin machines at the gym would actually improve my performance. I am not sure what kinds they have there yet but hoping they have a good machine.

I came back from AFG, living at 7,000ft, with a 5w/kg threshold.

Given the length of your deployment, I’m assuming Air Force? You’ll probably have a much better gym than we had.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

LeDuke wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:So as the title states I am getting ready to deploy for 120days and am curious if bike machines or spin machines at the gym would actually improve my performance. I am not sure what kinds they have there yet but hoping they have a good machine.

I came back from AFG, living at 7,000ft, with a 5w/kg threshold.

Given the length of your deployment, I’m assuming Air Force? You’ll probably have a much better gym than we had.

Yeah cause I fall on a Jort. Just curious if I can come back in better cycling shape then when I left. I understand I’ll be able to lift etc but that’s a little different that cycling daily on my own bike seeing results week to week.

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

Depends on your current level of fitness and training I suppose. A gym bike is better than nothing
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

bilwit

by bilwit

07stuntin6r wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:32 am
that’s a little different that cycling daily on my own bike seeing results week to week.
This all depends on what kind of riding you're doing right now. If you're just going out and smashing it whenever you can, you'll hit a plateau eventually, so you can actually come back in way better shape than before by doing proper, quality training at the bikes at the gym while you're deployed if they have a power meter or even if you just have a heart rate monitor.

LouisN

by LouisN

Divide the stay in 4 X 30 days blocks to work on specific stuff (maybe your limiters).
Takes motivation though.
Not as fun as riding outside, or with your own bike and Zwift,etc...

Louis :)

mattr

by mattr

07stuntin6r wrote:
I understand I’ll be able to lift etc but that’s a little different that cycling daily on my own bike seeing results week to week.
Have a look for cycling specific weight programs. I know one of my best cluster of seasons was off the back of lots of steady commuting miles through the winter (which you can do on a spinning bike) and a decent amount of "cycling specific" weight training.

Time Crunched Cyclist might be useful as well.

Also depends where you are going. Mate of mine gets deployed to places like Cyprus, so he gets loads of cycling in. Afghanistan, not so much........

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

mattr wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:
I understand I’ll be able to lift etc but that’s a little different that cycling daily on my own bike seeing results week to week.
Have a look for cycling specific weight programs. I know one of my best cluster of seasons was off the back of lots of steady commuting miles through the winter (which you can do on a spinning bike) and a decent amount of "cycling specific" weight training.

Time Crunched Cyclist might be useful as well.

Also depends where you are going. Mate of mine gets deployed to places like Cyprus, so he gets loads of cycling in. Afghanistan, not so much........
Thanks,

Yeah well I was suppose to be sent to Germany which I was excited about and was going to take my bike. Now I’m getting sent to a place where I won’t be able to ride.

Hellgate

by Hellgate

120 days is a deployment? During my two 18 month Iraq deployments in '05-'06, and '09-'10, I tried to ride the exercise bike three times a week for 50 to 60 minutes. I took up running, and hit the weights, focusing on legs. When I got back I spun for several weeks to get my legs used to actual riding again.

Just stay fit and don't worry about it, 120 days it a blink of an eye.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

I have a pair of SPD shoes for travel. Most exercise bikes in the US and Europe have SPD pedals.

AeroObsessive

by AeroObsessive

In addition to the above. Something is better than nothing, and fitness can be maintained on surprisingly little. Various types of circuit with a "cycling" focus can work well. In the gym try to emphasize unilateral exercises. Plyometrics are also worthwhile IF you have the previous training history to do them without undue risk of injury. Endlessly plugging away on a crappy gym bike may have limitations hence the circuits may help to break this up. Depending on training goals, training history, available training time and ability to recover will impact how you can structure things.

Uphill running has good transfer to cycling, as does rucking uphill.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

otoman

by otoman

+1 a cycling specific weight routine. Sufferfest has a good series of progressive workouts that are excellent for strength and core. They also do great focused workouts you could adapt to the gym bike if you’d like.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill