Neck pain - no matter the position

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jlok

by jlok

I solved similar problem by reducing the saddle to hood reach. I thought stack was the issue but in the end I reduced the stem length (cos I like the Aeronova, and it's super long) and lowered it.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zefs

by zefs

Miles253 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:08 pm
Previous bike fits suggested this size frame and smaller, so I'm not sure i really trust bike fitters to be able to get it spot on. I've also ridden a much bigger frame and still had neck issues...

Thanks

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Maybe the reason was that going for a bigger frame the reach, seat angle increased and stack was low if it was racing geometry so it created the same issues. That is why I recommended endurance or going custom, which will allow a bigger stack and lower reach on which you can also use a good stem length if needed for aesthetics. The recommended stack for your size is ~645 based on this website: https://bikedynamics.co.uk/bikesizingbd.htm

Miles253

by Miles253

zefs wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:22 am
Miles253 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:08 pm
Previous bike fits suggested this size frame and smaller, so I'm not sure i really trust bike fitters to be able to get it spot on. I've also ridden a much bigger frame and still had neck issues...

Thanks

Maybe the reason was that going for a bigger frame the reach, seat angle increased and stack was low if it was racing geometry so it created the same issues. That is why I recommended endurance or going custom, which will allow a bigger stack and lower reach on which you can also use a good stem length if needed for aesthetics. The recommended stack for your size is ~645 based on this website: https://bikedynamics.co.uk/bikesizingbd.htm
The other problem is the reach, if I go too short I get hunched and the problem is compounded. I've got a meeting with a bike fitter next week to help me determine the optimum reach, as I think that can be done in the studio just looking at my body (Arm positions etc). The neck is impossible to ascertain inside as it only happens after 50km or so.

"Sorry for all these long legged people, but this is the worst case for achieving an optimum bike fit. The long legs will mean a high saddle, so the bars become relatively far away. Long legs imply a short torso, so the reach to the bars becomes excessive. One could consider a shorter top tube, but this would also tend to come with a shorter head tube which is counter-productive. What tends to happen with very long legged people is that stems have to be short and as high as possible, often achieved by flipping them over as well as using all the available spacers. In many cases this is still not enough and the saddle also has to move further forwards than is ideal. Many people do not like the aesthetics of this stem configuration, in which case the best option is to select a bike with Sportive or Touring geometry, i.e. one with relatively long head tube or Stack for its size."

That's according to that site. I am tall with long legs so I see why this is prescribed. Problem is, as a racer i'm just not up for making this compromise and would prefer to work on the body strength to be able to cope with it and ride the bike I want to and like the look at. I'm still fairly young and this will likely be the last race bike I buy.

The deadlift comment from earlier is well received, maybe i'll buy that kettlebell afterall
Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Good luck with it all - hope you find a solution. It was me who messaged you on Instagram. SMP has worked wonders for me (at the moment). I think you look very long in the leg and have a long torso too - only from the images, and understand your point about cramping the trunk on the bike as all that does is push the shoulders into the neck.

Don't forget the first generation of the power saddle was considered by many to be too flat with little hip rotation. Gen 2 the power arc is a better saddle apparently.

I did 180 miles in 7 days last week and neck held up well, but I am 48 and ride a race bike like many other people here. I also train three x 45 minute sessions at the gym doing traps, back, chest, core work along with some foam rollering and stretching.

Do keep us updated on how this progresses buddy.

Thanks !

Miles253

by Miles253

Hi all,

I went to see my bike fitter buddy last night to get some insight. He would suggest my reach is reasonable but the drop will be causing the most issue. We've worked through the potential positional change to help remedy it (for the new bike).

Another bike fitter i've been in touch with has confirmed that snub nosed saddles are going to offer (broadly) the same ability to rotate the hips. Though I think i'll try the Power Arc to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for all your help so far

zefs

by zefs

The difference with the Arc saddle is that it arcs more on the sitbone area than the Power which is more flat. My guess is the arc helps people with big legs to not rub on the wings but that would probably happen in more upright/relaxed positions than sporty road positions.
Also it will release some pressure from the sitbones.

If using a lot of setback the Arc is probably a better choice, too so try it out and see which works best.

Miles253

by Miles253

zefs wrote:The difference with the Arc saddle is that it arcs more on the sitbone area than the Power which is more flat. My guess is the arc helps people with big legs to not rub on the wings but that would probably happen in more upright/relaxed positions than sporty road positions.
Also it will release some pressure from the sitbones.

If using a lot of setback the Arc is probably a better choice, too so try it out and see which works best.
I run a reasonable setback, so I think it's worth a try.

I've got long femurs so I often need to sit further back.

I'm also set on a 61cm frame, as it just gives me more options

filip00

by filip00

Looking at your pictures - I'd say you're a fair bit stretched out - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does put extra leverage and stress on your neck. I'd try to work on building the rear neck muscles (trapezius etc) and try to shorten the reach a bit, or maybe raise the drop a bit. A bike fitter should be able to help you find the best position that would suit you. In any case, I'd also hit the gym for some extra strength in the neck and upper back - it can't hurt.

Miles253

by Miles253

filip00 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:35 am
Looking at your pictures - I'd say you're a fair bit stretched out - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does put extra leverage and stress on your neck. I'd try to work on building the rear neck muscles (trapezius etc) and try to shorten the reach a bit, or maybe raise the drop a bit. A bike fitter should be able to help you find the best position that would suit you. In any case, I'd also hit the gym for some extra strength in the neck and upper back - it can't hurt.
Cheers, do you happen to have any loaded neck exercises I can do? I've got plenty of stretches but only a few strength building ones.

Thanks

filip00

by filip00

This one can be done with a towel, or with a weight plate (if you have one, you just hold the weight on the rear of your head, over something soft): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDLuqHit1wA
Here you have different trapezius exercises, which will help build upper back, that support neck muscles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYPDveEb1RQ

Bear in mind that with our daily lifestyle, we are always slouching and leaning in forward and closing in our chest, stretching our back and tightening our front. To counteract that, one should always work on strengthening the back muscles and stretching your front (front shoulder, pecs, abs). Having a strong back and good posture will help you prevent nearly all pain that comes with bad posture, weak spine muscles, weak neck muscles, aggresive position on a bike, etc.

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Miles253 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:34 am
filip00 wrote:
Cheers, do you happen to have any loaded neck exercises I can do? I've got plenty of stretches but only a few strength building ones.

Thanks
Don a grey tracksuit bottom and Reebok classics and get yourself down to Argos :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8036124

Very good little tool and cheap as chips. Whap one under the door or under your feet, fold and use the middle and use to strengthen the neck. :thumbup:

Miles253

by Miles253

diegogarcia wrote:
Miles253 wrote:
filip00 wrote:

Thanks
Don a grey tracksuit bottom and Reebok classics and get yourself down to Argos Image Image Image

Very good little tool and cheap as chips. Whap one under the door or under your feet, fold and use the middle and use to strengthen the neck. Image
I actually have a set of these already , no tracksuits required!

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Miles253 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:17 pm
diegogarcia wrote:
Miles253 wrote:
filip00 wrote:

Thanks
Don a grey tracksuit bottom and Reebok classics and get yourself down to Argos Image Image Image

Very good little tool and cheap as chips. Whap one under the door or under your feet, fold and use the middle and use to strengthen the neck. Image
I actually have a set of these already , no tracksuits required!

Stan Smiths or Gazelle for me, but the latter are a bit narrow :thumbup:

Soccer casual :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: ( being ironic of course. I live in South Devon an area bereft of footballing genius on the whole ).

On a serious side, 68 miles today. 4,300 feet of climbing and neck, traps all good again.

Miles253

by Miles253

Hi all,

Little update on this. Following another check up bike fit with a prefessional friend of mine, i've ascertained it is wise to go big on my next frame.

I've been chatting to a guy based out of Bicycle in Richmond, London. He seems very knowledgable and helpful but his fit is £400 which i'm finding difficult to justify. Especially as I have to get there and back from the South-East

Any thoughts on this? He's called @bikefitjames on Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/bikefitjames/

Cheers

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

There is a few videos on YouTube that he has done with Francis Cade if you search for bikefitjames.

Andy Fenn is also working at Bicycle Richmond doing bike fitting.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com