Neck pain - no matter the position

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

OK so in terms of my neck, shoulder and trap ache I have sorted it. I was ready to drop the money on a Domane SLR which would have been lovely, but I managed to find after advice from a TREK dealer about Emonda sizing, a 54cm Project one 2019 Emonda SLR with £1300 off the RRP ( customer did not like his colour pallette - neon yellow ) so I bought it and had it built by a local TREK dealer. We transplanted the parts from my 56cm to my 54cm and the difference if startling. I have done 170 miles this week. No pain, nothing - and the longer this continues the more my over reaching pain will fade. What I do find remarkable is how what literally 1/2 centimetre in reach has done. Naturally, the 54cm has a steeper seat tube and mildly lower stack and headtube, but I feel in the bike, not on the bike and could ride for days. Over reach is the killer, not 'drop'. What I would say is part of this is down to natural ageing. I was riding 56cm 40cm reach bikes 9 years ago no problem, but ebbing towards 50 and apparent that the body changes. BUT I am delighted with the outcome and the new build is wonderful.

I wonder how the OP is getting on - anyupdates buddy ?
Last edited by diegogarcia on Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miles253

by Miles253

No updates I'm afraid, but I'm glad you've found your fix.

I've been trying to get an appointment with some of the London bike fitters. I'll be able to post back after that.

I've got a feeling it's not going to solve it for me...but I wonder if a physio is important too/ instead. Still, I feel like I need to rule out the premium bike fit first as physio is usually more long term and costly

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Miles253 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:59 pm
No updates I'm afraid, but I'm glad you've found your fix.

I've been trying to get an appointment with some of the London bike fitters. I'll be able to post back after that.

I've got a feeling it's not going to solve it for me...but I wonder if a physio is important too/ instead. Still, I feel like I need to rule out the premium bike fit first as physio is usually more long term and costly

Could be. It is all chicken and the egg, but I think it all helps. Weights, stretching, rollering, pyhsio and fit. In some order too. But over the years various magazines have eluded to the fact that some are better suited to endurance geo and some race based on body geometry. I train at the gym three times a week with all the female love Island types doing butt exercises and the males just taking selfies :noidea: :D :D :D

The crazy thing it that the Emonda as an exmaple has large cross over in terms of sizing at 5'9 so tricky.

But, keep on trucking mate - even if your neck hurts you are a handsome bugger. Sadly I have a face for radio :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Miles253

by Miles253

Hi guys, a little update for you.

I had a brilliant bike fit with James at Bicycle in Richmond today. It really was the full works, from flexibility through to new bike geo.

So my position on my bike has been adjusted, though it seems from a trial and error basis, that reach is my limiting factor rather than the stack.

I've yet to trail the position as I need to change my bars and shorted the reach by 4cm with a shorter stem and a shorter reach bar.

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

Glad you had a good fit with James, hopefully the suggested changes help solve your neck issues.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Miles253

by Miles253

Here's some of the fit data in case anyone was interested.Image

Ant

by Ant

Did the new fit fix the neck issues?

bobbybrown

by bobbybrown

Hello everybody!
I have a canondale supersix evo 54 that probably is a bit small for me.
I am 1.84cm 89mm in seam measured with bike shoes on.
In the shimano bikefitting program you can choose Racing/sport/confort.
We chose sport.
I can't see a way to attach the pic of bikefitting...
Anyway based on these mesurements the stem of my current bike was 4cm lower!!!

I tried to understand which measurements are the most important for choosing a bike, and i concluded the most important is the stack followed by reach. Based on my bikefitting program i neen a 590mm stack and a 379mm reach.
Then i checked the geometry of many different manufactures and noticed a controversy.
In most bikes i am about 56/58 or L/XL based on the stack and 50 or S based on the reach....
Anybody can explain the reason of this controversy? Do i have long legs compared to the rest of my body maybe? Does anyone have similar measurements?

bobbybrown

by bobbybrown

I forgot to explain the reason of my post, neck pain in 1/3 of my rides and lumbar pain in 1/20.

Ant

by Ant

I am 185cm and 90.5 inseam. The calculators do not work for people outside the curve. I can comfortably ride a 58cm Cannondale with the stem slammed (with anything from a 110 to 130 stem), I've just bought a Medium Ridley Fenix and am fine on that with the stem slammed to.

I'd be very tempted to try and ride a bigger bike to see how you get on. The short reach part is bogus, because we have shorter bodies there is less weight above the hips so we need less saddle setback in order to be comfortable. Get your position stretched out and see how you feel. I spent years and years thinking like you based on people's advice and expensive fittings.

bobbybrown

by bobbybrown

I'll buy a canyon ultimate L tomorrow. It has a 58 stack and a 40 reach. I' ll tell you if i see any difference.
I am also curious on trying endurance geometry bikes that seem more adapt on my body, but I am a bit worried that they may be less responsive, less stiff maybe...

Ant

by Ant

You might find the handlebars wont go low enough on the Canyon. Also you have to really think about your general back health, I stretch several times a day, especially low back stretch, it took weeks of doing this to feel a benefit but it resolved a lot of my issues.

Ant

by Ant

bobbybrown wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:05 pm
I'll buy a canyon ultimate L tomorrow. It has a 58 stack and a 40 reach. I' ll tell you if i see any difference.
I am also curious on trying endurance geometry bikes that seem more adapt on my body, but I am a bit worried that they may be less responsive, less stiff maybe...
How's the new bike?

bobbybrown

by bobbybrown

The canyon deal is off, probably not a serious seller. But i just bought a cervelo R5 :) I hope to ride it next week.
Can you post some exercises for back stretching that helped you? Gym's are still closed here and and my back muscles are going through fatty degeneration...

Miles253

by Miles253

Ant wrote:Did the new fit fix the neck issues?
Unfortunately it didn't no, so a short reach wasn't the saviour either!

I suspect it's all in body conditioning. Strengthening core, stretching, neck health and hygiene etc.

Keen if anyone here has solved or improved a similar issue with body conditioning (I really hate core work outs...)

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com