Neck pain - no matter the position

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DavG

by DavG

I'm familiar with this problem, I'm taking a recovery course before I start training and preparing for a marathon. There is so much information here, thank you for sharing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nohands83

by Nohands83

I do quite a lot of off-the-bike work - yoga, core, free weight a few times a week and I've still struggled with neck pain in the last year on all my bikes.

I think (and hope) I've resolved recently it by actually increasing my setback to reduce the amount of weight on my hands. Though similar could probably be achieved by increasing stack, I didn't want to potentially compromise handling so I didn't do this.

But if you are wanting a good lower back workout this is very good - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOTvaRaDjI

Miles253

by Miles253

Nohands83 wrote:I do quite a lot of off-the-bike work - yoga, core, free weight a few times a week and I've still struggled with neck pain in the last year on all my bikes.

I think (and hope) I've resolved recently it by actually increasing my setback to reduce the amount of weight on my hands. Though similar could probably be achieved by increasing stack, I didn't want to potentially compromise handling so I didn't do this.

But if you are wanting a good lower back workout this is very good - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOTvaRaDjI
I could certainly use a low back workout. Feeling tender as we speak. I'm in need to a refinement to my routine, to get in yoga and core a couple or times per week

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

fruitfly

by fruitfly

Saw something on another thread, where the poster said te tried to remember to tuck his chin which stretched his neck and make it easier to keep a flat back. I find this trick, plus reminding myself to keep my shoulders low, is very helpful. Completely agree about most of my issues starting in my lower back, which means I don't rotate my pelvis as much as I could/should. I am trying an SMP saddle at the moment, which I find encourages pelvic rotation, with beneficial effects all up my back and neck.
Factor Ostro

customtune

by customtune

Miles253 wrote:Hi All,

I've always suffered from neck pain when riding, through my entire riding career and on very few ocassions have I actually got rid of it. I'm trying to pinpoint where it originates from and if it's solvable through a means other than a bike fit - as i've had many.

So some context. After about 50-60km I'll start to get some discomfort in my neck, normally regardless of the ride, or the bike. I've had bikes of various sizes, reaches, drops and nothing seems to have solved it. I am reasonably flexibile, can touch the toes for example. I'm 6' 3" (192cm), saddle height of 85cm.

Image of me on my racier bike, obviously I am not always trying to get aero and I still have discomfort. This is an XL Canyon...not sure what size that is, 60?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BubxR2SB38I/

• Can this be solved/helped by position? If so is it a longer/ shorter stem or more stack?
• Can this be solved by strength training? Is it a core weakness or a shoulder weakness putting pressure on the smaller neck muscles?

Any insight I can attain would be helpful. Looking to buy a new bike this year and don't want to punt for the smaller frame size if it could be a fit issue (bike fits have always told me I should be on a 58/59) instead i'll go for the bigger option, so a 60/61 in my case.

Thanks!
Looks like a fair amount of extension is coming from lower cervical levels. I’d get someone to assess the extension in the mid cervicals passively. If it’s stiff and you can make some improvement the joint and muscle task of the lower cervicals may improve. Following that I’d be building neck strength. You can try pushing your head back against a towel in a chin-tuck motion holding 10sec x3, building to 30sec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

customtune

by customtune

Miles253 wrote:Hi All,

I've always suffered from neck pain when riding, through my entire riding career and on very few ocassions have I actually got rid of it. I'm trying to pinpoint where it originates from and if it's solvable through a means other than a bike fit - as i've had many.

So some context. After about 50-60km I'll start to get some discomfort in my neck, normally regardless of the ride, or the bike. I've had bikes of various sizes, reaches, drops and nothing seems to have solved it. I am reasonably flexibile, can touch the toes for example. I'm 6' 3" (192cm), saddle height of 85cm.

Image of me on my racier bike, obviously I am not always trying to get aero and I still have discomfort. This is an XL Canyon...not sure what size that is, 60?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BubxR2SB38I/

• Can this be solved/helped by position? If so is it a longer/ shorter stem or more stack?
• Can this be solved by strength training? Is it a core weakness or a shoulder weakness putting pressure on the smaller neck muscles?

Any insight I can attain would be helpful. Looking to buy a new bike this year and don't want to punt for the smaller frame size if it could be a fit issue (bike fits have always told me I should be on a 58/59) instead i'll go for the bigger option, so a 60/61 in my case.

Thanks!
Looks like a fair amount of extension is coming from lower cervical levels. I’d get someone to assess the extension in the mid cervicals passively. If it’s stiff and you can make some improvement the joint and muscle task of the lower cervicals may improve. Following that I’d be building neck strength. You can try pushing your head back against a towel in a chin-tuck motion holding 10sec x3, building to 30sec.

customtune

by customtune

Here’s a podcast covering some of the rationale and strength exercises:

https://www.clinicaledge.co/podcast/phy ... podcast/73

Miles253

by Miles253

customtune wrote:Here’s a podcast covering some of the rationale and strength exercises:

Thanks for the feedback, when you mention the cervical, which part of the spine is that?

Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

otoman

by otoman

The neck part.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

customtune

by customtune

Cervicals is neck (7 vertebrae), thoracic is the mid back with the ribs (12), lumbar is lower back (5), sacrum is between your pelvis and 5 vertebrae fused together, coccyx is your tail bone with 4 tiny fused vertebrae.

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Miles253 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:04 pm
customtune wrote:Here’s a podcast covering some of the rationale and strength exercises:

Thanks for the feedback, when you mention the cervical, which part of the spine is that?

Hi buddy. Long time no post. So here's a thought using myself as an example. I spent 19 months riding an SLR Domane in the end. Bought the frame Sept 19. Last month I built a himod disc stiff race bike and yes my neck issues are back but I manage it.

But here's the thing I wonder if it comes from the rear of the bike. My fitter set me up with an online seat post and my inseam shorter than my torso like many men. I've started to wonder if the buzz travels up the spine. In terms of reach, drop, bar, width, type and so on well within the parameters of a good fit so logically I can only think it's the rear of the bike or simply the effect of stiff carbon. The Domane has both front and back decoupler and is a magical ride just a bit laboured climbing.

What bike are you on now? Food for thought.

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Sorry to write again but in the interests of others I think I finally cracked it.

After reviewing loads of old photos of my bikes. Analytical bike fit data and so on I decided to put a 25mm set back seat post in and use my preferred saddle the Bontrager aeolus. Obviously I lowered it to combat the move backwards and somewhat incredibly adding set back has effectively removed my neck pain which often migrated to the traps. Incredible. Oddly the set back post has made the bike feel smaller not longer and can sit in the hoods all day long. Testament to this is a 14 hour week logged and 200 miles bagged with tomorrow still to come. There is a noticeable increase in lumbar rotation which I suspect is taking the load and firing the glutes whilst taking the loads off hands arms and shoulders into neck.

As others have aluded to on here increasing set back can yeild a massive result. Dissatisfied with bike fitters who kept telling me to shorten my reach and change bikes I found a bit of detective work has paid off. The challenge now is to find a nice carbon 20 / 25mm set back post.

👍😊

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Moving back simply reduced the amount of weight on your hands which it now appears was the cause of the neck pain. Glad you got it sorted out. No substitute for being properly balanced fore and aft. Every riders' body will be different and a fitter with a protractor won't necessarily be able to put you in the correct position.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Could anyone please recommend some good neck stretching/strengthening exercises.

I am comfortable riding in drops from a arms/back perspective, but find stretching my neck looking up at the road and into the distance quickly tires out my neck muscles. More so in a TT helmet, which is obviously heavier.

I've tried some neck stretches from YouTube, but no improvement. Any suggestions would be welcome!
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress