Neck pain - no matter the position

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

zefs

by zefs

I would also mention the reach issue when going for a bigger frame (to gain on stack) that is racing geometry, which means shorter stem etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Hi mate, sorry to interject again but worth keeping you up to date on my fit.

Sad to say that the SMP was not the miracle cure and the neck ache / strain came back afert 5,500 feet in 51 miles on Dartmoor last week. But I have changed my bar to the new Giant d-fuse handlebar

https://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/gian ... y1EALw_wcB

which I got for £35 as my LBS had some from a stripped bike. The flex when pushing / in the hoods and are stiff when pulling. My fitter thinks my old bars ( see ropey phone pic) a classic d shape Ritchey bar were a bad choice as I was dropping to the front and then rotating to get into the hoods which had the effect of elongating my reach. Also, I took a punt on the Shimano Pro stealth snub saddle as read good things about it.

In the end I could not bring myself to impart with £185 on an SMP saddle just yet. I have fettled the new kit on to the bike and ride tomorrow - took the weekend off as training peaks CTL and ATL was up but feel good ready to get some miles in tomorrow and will report back.

I hope your issues sort themselves out as neck ache really takes the joy out of riding. Being honest for me if this fails, the next step is endurance geo - short reach taller HT etc. Could be my days of overtly stiff bikes are behind me. I do not 'feel' reach the issue now, more stiffness.

Miles253

by Miles253

ALAN Carbon+ wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:11 am
There is a few videos on YouTube that he has done with Francis Cade if you search for bikefitjames.

Andy Fenn is also working at Bicycle Richmond doing bike fitting.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
I've seen him in a number of Francis' videos, seems very knowledgable and I don't doubt his ability. I just wonder how he compares to other bike fitters, as it seems VERY expensive!
Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

His cost seems pretty similar to other similarly qualified fitters in the UK - 200-300GBP seems to the average rate. James is a level 3 IBFI certified fitter. https://ibfi-certification.com/find-a-fitter/# there are 11 level 4 fitters in the UK.

I like the idea of fits done on a jig rather on a bike, so the fitter is not bound by the limitations of the current bike, the focus is on the position of the contact points and how they feel. Also, it is a lot quicker than swapping stems/bars etc on a bike.

Investing 300 quid on a bike fit is nothing if you're contemplating a new bike, particularly if you plan to spend a couple of grand.

Miles253

by Miles253

ALAN Carbon+ wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:09 am
His cost seems pretty similar to other similarly qualified fitters in the UK - 200-300GBP seems to the average rate. James is a level 3 IBFI certified fitter. https://ibfi-certification.com/find-a-fitter/# there are 11 level 4 fitters in the UK.

I like the idea of fits done on a jig rather on a bike, so the fitter is not bound by the limitations of the current bike, the focus is on the position of the contact points and how they feel. Also, it is a lot quicker than swapping stems/bars etc on a bike.

Investing 300 quid on a bike fit is nothing if you're contemplating a new bike, particularly if you plan to spend a couple of grand.
I admit, i'm on the edge. But on the basis that a bike fit does not necerssarily solve your issues and James is a 4 hour round trip and £400 of my hard earned, i'm struggling.

I've had 2-3 bike fits in the past, never so expensive and never on a rig, but none that have worked.

zefs

by zefs

If the bike doesn't allow to set it up in a way to achieve the comfort your body needs to avoid neck pain, don't expect for the fit to work even if you had more bike fits. That is why the proper way is to do it on a jig then purchase the bike size and geometry based on the fit results.

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

zefs wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:13 pm
If the bike doesn't allow to set it up in a way to achieve the comfort your body needs to avoid neck pain, don't expect for the fit to work even if you had more bike fits. That is why the proper way is to do it on a jig then purchase the bike size and geometry based on the fit results.
This
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

liam7020

by liam7020

ALAN Carbon+ wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:11 am
Andy Fenn is also working at Bicycle Richmond doing bike fitting.
Is this the result of the Aqua Blue shambles? Good rider Andy Fenn, he got some very decent results in Belgium. Sorry to see him left high and dry without a seat for this season.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Miles253

by Miles253

zefs wrote:
A fair point and well considered.

I'll look to book in with them, unless anyone in the South East of the UK can recommend a fitter?

mattr

by mattr

The go to in that end of the country seems to be the bike whisperer/Scherrit Knoesen, but he seems to be further from you than Richmond. Newbury i think.

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

mattr wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:24 pm
The go to in that end of the country seems to be the bike whisperer/Scherrit Knoesen, but he seems to be further from you than Richmond. Newbury i think.
Heard good things, but based on the Steve Hogg bike fit which is loved and loathed in equal measure. But as long as a rider ends up in the same place there are several ways to skin a rabbit.

One thing I am wondering about for the OP is 'stiffness'. I note carbon aero bars and a stiff bike. I looked at that and bought a pair of the new Giant dfuse bars as a test as literally paid £35 all in and fettled them on. Now I would have thought a nice carbon bar more compliant but far more dosh. I did 43 'fast' miles solo on Tuesday on rough roads riding from South Devon to North Devon ( read battered ) and the bars are very good. Flex going down, stiff pulling up. I hit mile 40 at 2 hours and noted no apparent neck pain which like the OP would usually kick in at mile 24. NP was 217 watts so I pretty much 'pedalled on the rivet' all the way there. I have ordered some Specialized Roubaix wide bartape which my mechanic will wrap for me and I will wrap it tight as not a fan of 3.5mm tape but again it may help.

If in the end, it is not fit related then Miles it might be worth looking at Domane, Roubaix ( the new gen ) and co. Still fast capable bikes that are for more forgiving on the posture. But as ever rest assured that there are a legoin of bike riders suffering the same issues as you mate.

StevenH72

by StevenH72

Miles253 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:00 pm
zefs wrote:

I'll look to book in with them, unless anyone in the South East of the UK can recommend a fitter?
I might be a bit late to this Miles, so apologies if this is of no use.

James is really knowledgable and I'm sure is an excellent fitter. I have used Elliot at Superdomestique (Shoreditch) and have been really happy. I'd seen fitters previously and had never quite been able to sort out a knee issue, but Elliot has worked wonders for me.

SLightly cheaper too at £295. Still hefty, but an investment worth making imo

Miles253

by Miles253

StevenH72 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:07 pm
Miles253 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:00 pm
zefs wrote:

I might be a bit late to this Miles, so apologies if this is of no use.

James is really knowledgable and I'm sure is an excellent fitter. I have used Elliot at Superdomestique (Shoreditch) and have been really happy. I'd seen fitters previously and had never quite been able to sort out a knee issue, but Elliot has worked wonders for me.

SLightly cheaper too at £295. Still hefty, but an investment worth making imo
Never too late, thanks for your input. I'm actually going to book in with James as I do think it's worth having his eye

It's going to be a mission of a day, as it's an hour and 45 drive each way! But hopefully worth it in confidence when I make the new bike purchase.

Thanks

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Hope it goes well.

Keep us posted.

I have a TREK Domane SLR in the basket. Cannot get rid of my neck ache. Did 140 miles last weekend and by Tuesday I was in half. Shame, as I love riding. :|

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

diegogarcia wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:41 pm
Hope it goes well.

Keep us posted.

I have a TREK Domane SLR in the basket. Cannot get rid of my neck ache. Did 140 miles last weekend and by Tuesday I was in half. Shame, as I love riding. :|
Too far forward position/ saddle, placing stress on arms, hands and ultimately neck?
Too high saddle forcing body tilt?
Cramped or too much reach?

Just noted the pic of your bike.
Why not change handlebars, using a flat horizontal top section, a slight raise of shifters, where you place hands (when on hoods).
Maximum 5 degree. This make you avoid pain in ulnar nerve.
This to be in accordance with your natural arch of wrist and hands on hoods.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com