Eating while riding, what do you have?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

3Pio

by 3Pio

IvanZg wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:33 pm
I think it was placebo caused simply by gel ingestion and not eating anything else. I am ok this year after riding quite a lot on zwift and not having any gels for few months. Mixing different foods for few months now seems to work well as I need half the gels for long koms compared to last year while my fitness seems to be on a similar level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Believe it or not, i never used or bought a gel...

AJS914

by AJS914

I don't buy gels because I'm cheap and really I don't need the added convenience. For big rides I eat a extra big breakfast with slow aborbing carbs like oats and fruit. I did a 3.5 hour group ride yesterday and took:

1 banana - 100 calories
1 bar - 200 calories
300 calories of gummies

Strava said my ride was 1600kJ.

by Weenie

TheRich

by TheRich

IvanZg wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:47 pm
Btw, anybody had an issue with getting hooked on gels and not being able to ride properly without having them all the time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Depends if they have caffeine or not, I can perform much better (like almost 10% higher average power) with caffeine and the motivation of competition vs just out riding for fun/training.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Personally, anything under 2 hrs I don't even bring anything. Passed that point, I do the ocassional gel and mostly bars at a rate of about 1/hr. I like BonkBreakers. They are about the only solid thing I'll tolerate while riding. They have expanded their flavor selection, so many to choose from. Believe it or not, the one thing most people I know would vomit at the sight of or couldn't stand their taste (Powerbars) is another I can tolerate well. Go figure. I like the Gu gels as well. For drinking, I make up my own diluted Gatorade. Mostly to give it some taste with lower sugar.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

I eat anything as long as it doesnt get my hands too sticky:
Yesterday I did a 185kms, 7 hour ride with 3500m climbing, which TP reckoned was 7000 cals. and I ate:
2x High-C Gels (I think they were well past their sell by date), plus some other random gel I found in the bottom of my car
Flapjack
Date Bar
"Energy" lolipop
packet of Malteasers
Bacon Sandwich
Coke, Sprite, 3x waters

Its like I say to my wife about the dogs (and the kids), if they are hungry enough, anything tastes fine

TheRich

by TheRich

dgasmd wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:42 pm
Personally, anything under 2 hrs I don't even bring anything. Passed that point, I do the ocassional gel and mostly bars at a rate of about 1/hr. I like BonkBreakers. They are about the only solid thing I'll tolerate while riding. They have expanded their flavor selection, so many to choose from. Believe it or not, the one thing most people I know would vomit at the sight of or couldn't stand their taste (Powerbars) is another I can tolerate well. Go figure. I like the Gu gels as well. For drinking, I make up my own diluted Gatorade. Mostly to give it some taste with lower sugar.
What if you change your mind about what you want to do?

There's nothing wrong with eating an extra 100-200 calories while out on a ride, and the sugar boost shouldn't be discounted. That's why I like the cheap gummys, they aren't "special" like gels, or take any prep like an energy drink, I just toss a few in my pocket and periodically eat them just like I was on a more serious ride.

Because of what they are, cheap and plentiful (65 in a box!) they end up everywhere...in my Camelback, in my fanny pack (both mtb only, obviously), in the milk crate with my road stuff, so even if I forget, I still have food.

TheKaptone

by TheKaptone

'I put reminder on my Garmin Edge 520 to remind me to eat something on every 2100 calories burned.....'

How do you set that up on the Garmin I didn't know it could do that. Very interesting

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dgasmd

by dgasmd

TheRich wrote:
dgasmd wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:42 pm
What if you change your mind about what you want to do?

There's nothing wrong with eating an extra 100-200 calories while out on a ride, and the sugar boost shouldn't be discounted. That's why I like the cheap gummys
I always know how long of a ride I’ll be doing, so I pack accordingly. Nothing wrong with gummy bears, but brace yourself: I don’t like them!! ImageImageImageImage

gurk700

by gurk700

1 hour or less on trainer:
Nothing

1 hour ride:
Love Clif Blocks or equivalents from other brands. I take 2 every ~20 minutes.

if more than an hour add:
Couple rice cakes (the brand I get that I can't recall the name of makes cylindrical ones) OR a bar 1.5 hour or so into the ride.

if more than 2.5 hours or so add:
Chips or something salty and more caloric + can of coke 3 hours or so into the ride.

if any longer add:
Continue with Clif Blocks after that.

peted76

by peted76

Fig rolls are my go to food for longer rides.
Or stroopwaffles if I'm feeling a bit exotic.
Also bananas & peanut butter sandwiches.

Crave salt on long rides also, a packet of S&V crisps does the trick.

TheKaptone

by TheKaptone

peted76 wrote:Fig rolls are my go to food for longer rides.
Or stroopwaffles if I'm feeling a bit exotic.
Also bananas & peanut butter sandwiches.

Crave salt on long rides also, a packet of S&V crisps does the trick.
Excuse my ignorance but what is a stroopwaffle?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

peted76

by peted76

A Dutch delicacy, found in supermarkets all over Europe. Basically treacle sandwiched inbetween two thin layers of cookie dough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroopwafel

I've noticed there's a 'energy company' marketing these in bike shops now as the latest kind of energy bar.. I nearly fell over when I saw they were £4/$5.2 /€4.6/$7.4AUD each!

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Stroopwafels rule.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I always pack a Clif bar and an energy gel with me, regardless of how long the ride is. I've gotten hungry on rides, and I notice my performance drops when that happens, so a Gu or equivalent, will comes with me.

Also, you never know who might need something during a ride. I've had a couple of times where I've had to provide someone with an energy gel, when they started bonking (especially riders who are trying to "diet" while putting in a hard effort). Gu's are great, because they are easy to open while riding, and provide a quick boost of energy.
Madone 9 https://goo.gl/7UwZpV
Emonda SLR https://bit.ly/2UK5FP8

Crockett, Madone 5, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

Hellgate

by Hellgate

Fig bars from Costco, banana, or PBJs. If I'm blowing up, I stop at a gas station for a Red Bull and a Snickers bar.

by Weenie