Eating while riding, what do you have?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Marin

by Marin

Up to 2h nothing, anything over, 70g of Maltodextrin / hr via water bottle.

I experimented with self-made rice cakes etc. but it's just too cumbersome and it feels like I have to constantly eat which I found super annoying.

TheKaptone

by TheKaptone

These are all great ideas for reading in the bike. So many great choices u might have to buy one of those kid towing trailers just to carry all the food

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dim

by dim

What I have been trying on longer rides is baby food ...

small pouches that fit in your back pocket and these are really good, especially the fruit ones

I've still to try these:

Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

flying

by flying

My wife makes my rice cakes once or twice a week. (about 16-18 cakes per batch)
They keep in a Tupperware in fridge as each are individually wrapper in a tiny 7x10cm Ziploc bags

She makes them with a tiny amount of coconut milk & raisins,...taste great

I eat roughly 100 cal per hour on rides over 2 hours

So I take a few rice cakes & a small banana or two. I have not eaten store bought bars or gels in years

She also makes no-cook peanut butter oat,raisin bars same size but freezes them & I eat as a snack at home :thumbup:

TheKaptone

by TheKaptone

flying wrote:My wife makes my rice cakes once or twice a week. (about 16-18 cakes per batch)
They keep in a Tupperware in fridge as each are individually wrapper in a tiny 7x10cm Ziploc bags

She makes them with a tiny amount of coconut milk & raisins,...taste great

I eat roughly 100 cal per hour on rides over 2 hours

So I take a few rice cakes & a small banana or two. I have not eaten store bought bars or gels in years

She also makes no-cook peanut butter oat,raisin bars same size but freezes them & I eat as a snack at home Image
Wow man they sound amazing. Almost need to add recipes to this thread

flying

by flying

TheKaptone wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:05 am
Wow man they sound amazing. Almost need to add recipes to this thread
Hahah well I dont mind listing the recipe as it is not difficult & she makes it in a regular
automatic electric rice cooker.

Rice Cakes
1-cup rice
1-tsp cinnamon
2-tbsp Brown Sugar
water to one cup line in cooker
about 1/4cup coconut milk
raisins to taste (wife uses about 1/3 cup)

After cooker is done let sit till cool then stir to mix it all up

She lines a small cookie sheet with saran wrap leaving excess wrap & puts all the rice on it
Then covers with the excess saran & shapes in a rectangle about 8"x10" about 1/2" thick

Puts in fridge overnight then in morning cuts into 3"x1.5" pieces that fit in those mini ziplocs I mentioned
then store in fridge in a tupperware usually you get 16-18 bars

You can also use parchment paper instead of ziplocs but we like these because rice cakes are not messy &
you can bring the empty ziplocs home & rinse/dry them getting 3-4 uses out of them & also no rubbish on rides

Peanut butter oat bars
3 cups rolled oats
1 Tbsp peanut butter
1 cup milk
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1/3 cup raisins
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Mix together in a bowl & do the same thing as you did with the rice cakes on pan with saran & shape into
8"x10"x0.5" thick rectangle

You can do refrigerate or freeze. I like freeze as it becomes similar to an ice cream (never gets rock hard but stays like a firm ice cream)
In morning cut to size then store bars in freezer (again 16-18 bars & we use the mini ziplocs for these too)

PS: About the shaping of the rice cake or oat bars into the main 8x10 rectangle
You can do the above way with saran wrap or another easy method is put the mixture in a
gallon size ziploc then pat/shape into the rectangle

We use to do this & it works well but in the morning you need to cut the bag open to cut up the squares
Seems wasteful & saran is what we use now
Last edited by flying on Sat May 04, 2019 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheKaptone

by TheKaptone

Thanks for that Flyin

Going to have a crack at those for sure

flying

by flying

TheKaptone wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:14 am
Thanks for that Flyin

Going to have a crack at those for sure
:beerchug:

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

What do people wrap their portables in? Skratch do parchment backed foil but getting my hands on the rolls of Reynolds parchment / foil in Australia is a PITA.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

fezi

by fezi

Nefarious86 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:06 am
What do people wrap their portables in? Skratch do parchment backed foil but getting my hands on the rolls of Reynolds parchment / foil in Australia is a PITA.

FE Sports do it in the lucky country

iamalex

by iamalex

I’ve been using Soreen malt loaf for a while now. I get the ‘lunchbox loaves’ and cut a small nick at each end of the wrappers so I can quickly open while on the bike. I really don’t get on with bars/gels and these have seen me through many a long ride. I supplement this with High Five Energy Drink in the bidons.

Otherwise... Mashed Sweet potato and cheese in a wrap fits pretty well in a jersey pocket. Got regulary ridiculed for it though! Batch of flapjacks in the freezer cut into small bite size pieces. Grab a handful when you get up and they thaw for the ride ahead. Tried and tested jam sandwich.

Tried feedzone rice cakes but was always hungry.

dastott

by dastott

Bananas and/or dates if I want to stop during a ride, or sweet potatoes if I don’t want to. Never bought a gel. Prefer real foods.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Gels and maybe some bars if riding hard with a group. Not fan of normal energy bars. On long training rides oat bars, raisins or I get something from shop.
Normally nothing if <60km ride.

flying, thanks! Going to test both.

dim

by dim

iamalex wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:46 am
I’ve been using Soreen malt loaf for a while now. I get the ‘lunchbox loaves’ and cut a small nick at each end of the wrappers so I can quickly open while on the bike. I really don’t get on with bars/gels and these have seen me through many a long ride. I supplement this with High Five Energy Drink in the bidons.

Otherwise... Mashed Sweet potato and cheese in a wrap fits pretty well in a jersey pocket. Got regulary ridiculed for it though! Batch of flapjacks in the freezer cut into small bite size pieces. Grab a handful when you get up and they thaw for the ride ahead. Tried and tested jam sandwich.

Tried feedzone rice cakes but was always hungry.
lots of guys who ride long distances (Audax) enjoy the Soreen loaves .... they also use Fijj chocolate milkshake:

Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

flying

by flying

Nefarious86 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:06 am

I was using just plain parchment (non-foil backed) & it works ok
but last year while riding in SE Asia I could not find any

So I started using these small 7x10cm Ziploc bags
brought a bunch back home with me

Works great as my rice cakes etc are usually 2-2.5 bites & easy to handle while riding
They are not messy too when you put the empties in your jersey
You can also reuse them 3-4 times too if you want...easily cleaned at home when you wash your bottles

Lastly it makes the rice cakes or what ever stay fresher longer in fridge
with parchment even in a Tupperware the rice cakes dry out pretty quick

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com