Eating while riding, what do you have?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

TheKaptone

by TheKaptone

Having come from a running background where Gels were always in my back pocket I was wondering if any one uses these or any other favorites

I carry a banana if I remember and perhaps a muesli bar but don't really like the taste during a ride.

Interested to see what people eat while riding. Might get some new ideas

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Bananas, bars. And gummy bears which are a lot cheaper than gels. I buy a 3 pound package and then carry a bunch in a sandwich bag during the ride.

TonyM

by TonyM

For me usually nothing for rides less than 3 hours. For longer rides bars. And for very long rides many many bars.
If you race it looks however much different....

The gummy bears are a good ideas indeed for those who need gels.

TheRich

by TheRich

Gummy bears from Costco, 80cals and $.30-.35 a package.

Gels are for racing.

TheKaptone

by TheKaptone

Love the idea of Gummy bears. I would have to have them in the shed with the bike so I don't just eat them on the couch.

Grabs keys heads straight for Costco

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Lol, grabbing my keys too....
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TonyM

by TonyM

On my list for Costco also!!

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I really try not to bring food with me on the bike. I try to plan my rides around rest stops. If that's not possible i stick to a banana or bring some nuts and dried fruit. any local route i do has at least a deli stop or two along the way where i can grab something
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

3Pio

by 3Pio

Im ussually bringing some recovery bars, or Snickers bars (if not too hot to be melted). Banana also works...

But on most rides there is some stops where i can get some food/water... Just for comparation, yesterday i rode 115 km, 3050 m climb (3300 calories burned).. I had with me 3 Recovery bars (and in the part i needed food there was no stops where to buy more). 4 recovery bars would be perfect for that ride, but i was ok with 3 i had (until i got to the nearest stop where i got 2 Banana, 1 x Coca Cola (i drink this Coke only on this kind of ride), some salty snacks..) After this stop i was ready for another 1100 m climb....

TheKaptone

by TheKaptone

3Pio wrote:Im ussually bringing some recovery bars, or Snickers bars (if not too hot to be melted). Banana also works...

But on most rides there is some stops where i can get some food/water... Just for comparation, yesterday i rode 115 km, 3050 m climb (3300 calories burned).. I had with me 3 Recovery bars (and in the part i needed food there was no stops where to buy more). 4 recovery bars would be perfect for that ride, but i was ok with 3 i had (until i got to the nearest stop where i got 2 Banana, 1 x Coca Cola (i drink this Coke only on this kind of ride), some salty snacks..) After this stop i was ready for another 1100 m climb....
I used to have coke during some ultra running events, there is nothing like the taste of it when your depleted.

I must also remember that I can ride into a shop and get stuff as well

3Pio

by 3Pio

TheKaptone wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:54 am
3Pio wrote:Im ussually bringing some recovery bars, or Snickers bars (if not too hot to be melted). Banana also works...

I used to have coke during some ultra running events, there is nothing like the taste of it when your depleted.

I must also remember that I can ride into a shop and get stuff as well

I put reminder on my Garmin Edge 520 to remind me to eat something on every 2100 calories burned.....

IvanZg

by IvanZg

If I go for long rides without too much climbing i take 2 small bananas and a gel for a backup if things go south. But usually do not eat gel if there is a shop where i can get a can of coke or more bananas. If ride mostly consists of climbs with my avg hr at 165+ bpm I can’t eat anything but gels. Tried haribos few times but felt tummy ache after only few of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IvanZg

by IvanZg

Btw, anybody had an issue with getting hooked on gels and not being able to ride properly without having them all the time?

AJS914

by AJS914

Maybe you get hooked because you ride better with a constant drip of carbohydrate?

Or, it's just the placebo effect...

Personally I've been eating more on rides and it really helps with recovery and not having dead legs the next day.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IvanZg

by IvanZg

I think it was placebo caused simply by gel ingestion and not eating anything else. I am ok this year after riding quite a lot on zwift and not having any gels for few months. Mixing different foods for few months now seems to work well as I need half the gels for long koms compared to last year while my fitness seems to be on a similar level