Stages PM grossly over-reading

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

FIJIGabe wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:10 pm
onemanpeloton wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:09 am
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:56 pm
I had a Gen. 1 DA9000 Stages that was literally doing the exact same thing you're reporting, last September.... nothing would fix it. I ended up sending it to Stages and they repaired it and upgraded it to a Gen. 3... they did charge me a little bit, because it was well out of the warranty period, which I thought was perfecty fair.
I have the same model. Mine is also well behaving exactly the same but when I contacted the UK stages dealer, I was told they wouldnt replace it even for a fee. All they did was offer me a poor discount on a brand new one. May I ask how you contacted stages and what price they charged you? Sorry for the hijack
You can open a ticket through the Stages support website. They will walk you through the diagnostic process and provide you with instructions on replacing the crank arm (be it under warranty or by paying the upgrade). Once I had my PM, I never had to go through the dealer, again - and they may just be trying to get you to buy a new PM from them.
I did that with them and they passed me straight on to the supplier. It might be because when I sent them a picture of the unit they identified a hairline crack in the housing. They just quickly attributed my issues to this crack but it sounds like other people are having the same issues. I've contacted Stages again anyway just in case they're feeling charitable
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

If that's the case, then it's unfortunate. They probably don't want to deal with the issue, thinking it's a case of abuse and not malfunction. Good luck, I hope they are able to resolve your issues.

alanmclean

by alanmclean

I received a very quick and helpful response from the company. I sent them screenshots from the Tools page on the app. They sent me instructions on how to reset my crank length which had set to 862mm which explained why my power readings were about 4 times normal. Well done stages, all good now.
Only issue was needing to use an Android phone.

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

alanmclean wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:41 am
I received a very quick and helpful response from the company. I sent them screenshots from the Tools page on the app. They sent me instructions on how to reset my crank length which had set to 862mm which explained why my power readings were about 4 times normal. Well done stages, all good now.
Only issue was needing to use an Android phone.
Would you be able to share how you reset the crank length? That's exactly the problem I'm having
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

alanmclean

by alanmclean

You need to connect to the crank with Stages app on an Android phone.
Then <Tools page. (I presume you can see your crank length is wrong on this page)
Then swipe left to right four times and you should be able select correct crack length from a drop down menu at bottom of page : 165/170/whatever.
You'll need to ensure firmware is up to date.
I know nothing about IT but it worked.
I suggest you raise a ticket with Stages support in case it is something else. They are very quick.
Alan

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

alanmclean wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:08 pm
You need to connect to the crank with Stages app on an Android phone.
Then <Tools page. (I presume you can see your crank length is wrong on this page)
Then swipe left to right four times and you should be able select correct crack length from a drop down menu at bottom of page : 165/170/whatever.
You'll need to ensure firmware is up to date.
I know nothing about IT but it worked.
I suggest you raise a ticket with Stages support in case it is something else. They are very quick.
Alan
Thanks a lot for the guide. Ive managed to change the crank length. Will see how it reads tomorrow, fingers crossed! Bit disappointed that Stages didnt offer me the same advice since i sent them a screenshot of the tools page and they wouldve seen the crank length was way off. I didnt notice it so Im glad you posted up!
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

Fixed! It seems to have worked, and now I have realistic power measurements again. Thanks so much, you just saved me a whole lot of money!
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

alanmclean

by alanmclean

You’re welcome but I was only the monkey pulling the levers.
I was very impressed with Stages support, shame they could not do the same for you.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

alanmclean wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:35 pm
You’re welcome but I was only the monkey pulling the levers.
I was very impressed with Stages support, shame they could not do the same for you.
I've been using Stages since 2014 and I've had to deal with support 3 or 4 times and they've always gone above and beyond.

mattr

by mattr

It'll depend on who the local support is and the contracts/relationship they have with the international distributor and manufacturer. If they are just a box shifting organisation, they may rely on the manufacturer for tech support and warranty advice, if they are trying to be a "full service supplier" they may have their own. Which can be massively variable. Some have very strict guidelines from the manufacturer, others don't.

I know of one who used to just reject every single warranty claim from shop => importer without even reviewing. (They said they reviewed, but they didn't.) So the shop always had to carry the can (EU law).
I think they eventually lost the distribution deal as no one would buy from them due to crap support.

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

I emailed Stages yesterday with a little complaint/feedback and said I was unhappy that I'd been pushed towards buying a replacement instead of fixing my current one.

They quickly replied to say that given my photos showed a crack in the housing, they considered it not possible to be fixed. Its a shame that they jumped to this conclusion rather than working through possible fixes first.

They also said that return for repair is only possible in north america, basically because the costs of shipping from outside the US doesn't make the repair an affordable option, which is fair enough. They also said that Saddleback (their UK distributor who I dealt with) could basically decide what to do for themselves and Stages could not compel them to replace the unit for me since it was about a month outside of the warranty period.

So, to summarise, Stages were quick to diagnose a worst case scenario and pass me on to distributors who's only interest is in selling me a new one with a bad discount.
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL