Stages PM grossly over-reading

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Hi
My single crank Stages PM is suddenly grossly over-reading.
It's about three years old Ultegra version and has worked flawlessly through wet winters. Garmin 520 is working fine.
It's suddenly reading far above what it should. Cruising at 700W and climbing at 1400!
I've recalibrated/zeroed a few times with "successful calibration" at 895 usually recorded. But then it immediately over-reads.
I took battery out for an hour in the hope of resetting.
Can't see anything on Stages FAQ.
Anyone have any suggestions before I send it for servicing? Could it be the Garmin?

Regards

Alan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Is the garmin reading it twice? Assuming its a dual sided stages?
try un pairing completely and repairing

or is it possible to reflash software? (Or even use the app to see what it's sending out?)

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Thanks
Single crank, I'll try unpairing.
will it send out to a phone?

mattr

by mattr

Yeah. Should connect to the stages app.
Or try another one of the (free) apps.

Jugi

by Jugi

Yes, it connects to smartphones via Bluetooth Smart. The StagesPower app is available for iOS and Android.

mcfarton

by mcfarton

If all else fails contact stages. They fixed mine and upgraded it to a 3rd gen for free. I did have to jump through some hoops but not to bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dim

by dim

Upgrade your Garmin to the latest version of software ....

un pair your stages, then recconect, calibrate, the ride and see if it has rectified the problem
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I had a Gen. 1 DA9000 Stages that was literally doing the exact same thing you're reporting, last September.... nothing would fix it. I ended up sending it to Stages and they repaired it and upgraded it to a Gen. 3... they did charge me a little bit, because it was well out of the warranty period, which I thought was perfecty fair.

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Thanks all. I realised that I had not updated the stages firmware for years so I've firstly done that via my phone. I'll check I have latest Garmin version too. If it is still faulty then I'll return to stages. Report to follow.

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:56 pm
I had a Gen. 1 DA9000 Stages that was literally doing the exact same thing you're reporting, last September.... nothing would fix it. I ended up sending it to Stages and they repaired it and upgraded it to a Gen. 3... they did charge me a little bit, because it was well out of the warranty period, which I thought was perfecty fair.
I have the same model. Mine is also well behaving exactly the same but when I contacted the UK stages dealer, I was told they wouldnt replace it even for a fee. All they did was offer me a poor discount on a brand new one. May I ask how you contacted stages and what price they charged you? Sorry for the hijack
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Can you try and pair with a friends device to see if still over-reading?
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

onemanpeloton wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:09 am
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
I have the same model. Mine is also well behaving exactly the same but when I contacted the UK stages dealer, I was told they wouldnt replace it even for a fee. All they did was offer me a poor discount on a brand new one. May I ask how you contacted stages and what price they charged you? Sorry for the hijack
I called them directly.

alanmclean

by alanmclean

I received very quick reply from Stages support. I sent some diagnostic shots of the PM and from the >Tools page of the Stages app.

It seems the PM is confused about crank length. They've given detailed instructions on how to reset crank length which I can apparently do myself via Stages app. (needs to be android and not apple phone) I hope it means that the PM itself is ok and it's just a simple calibration problem.

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

Will be interested to hear how you get on!
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

onemanpeloton wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:09 am
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
You can open a ticket through the Stages support website. They will walk you through the diagnostic process and provide you with instructions on replacing the crank arm (be it under warranty or by paying the upgrade). Once I had my PM, I never had to go through the dealer, again - and they may just be trying to get you to buy a new PM from them.