Garmin Index Scale

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

3Pio

by 3Pio

Yesterday i bought a new Garmin Index scale, since im using Garmin Connect and Garmin Edge 520 device (where im satisfied). Also have Assioma Favero Power Meter (DUO version), and wanted to have auto upload of measurings and hoped that is more accurate then my cheap digital smart scale (Which have own Android software, but not upload to garmin connect automaticaly, even i tried using different software as proxy between).

Also hoped with Garmin scale (since its 4-5 more expensive then cheap scale i had), to be more accurate in BodyFat%, BodyWater%, BoneMass, and MuscleMass.....

And guess what? While beeing more accurate in weight (cheap scale i had show 300-400 gm less then real), every other value is less accurate (and cheap scale shows even more data's)...

I have latest firmware on Garmin scale (3.10), and even this update process was not that user friendly, i done it without big problems (i just needed to reset the scale after i first set with mobile phone, and to do settings from begining using PC with Garmin Express and ANT+)

This morning i had Medicine examination on Sport Medicine clinic, where they use more professional devices to determine BodyFat, BodyWater, BoneMass etc...

And guess what? Cheap scale was very close to values they measure this morning, and Garmin way off...

For example:

BodyFat%, Garmin shows 10.5%, while reality is 20.5%

BodyWater% Garmin Shows 65%, while reality is around 50%

BoneMass, Garmin shows 5.2 kg, in reality is 3.2

Accurate is only Weight, BMI (but this is calculate using formula, so no some technology here), and SceletalMusculeMass (this not that accurate, but not way off as other values)

Any other experiences with this scale? AutoUpload to Garmin Connect is nice thing, but definetely not worth 4-5 times more then cheap scale i allready have (and also beeing more accurate)

Can i improve the accuracy somehow? I read that Activity Level setting is important at least for BodyFat%, and i have setting 8 (i ride avg 14 hours per week in last 4 weeks)

Any hints? Or i just bought marketing gimmik with GARMIN name of it?

UPDATE: I changed activity level from 8 to 4, and now at least BodyFat% is more accurate (almost on pair with examinitaion today, BodyWaterPercentage also changed (now 20% highter then today measurement), and bone mass more accurate (but still of real)

What else this activity level settings change in garmin ecosystem? Does this affect Vo2Max or something else maybe? Should i change this settings until i got values on pair with measurement today? And should i leave them there (if i got that kind of values), or i need to again change this in near future? Does this scale have some learning algorithm?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kevinw

by kevinw

I actually like my garmin index - but bought it mainly for the automatic uploads to garmin connect.

Your activity level of 8 does seem high - I'd be tempted to lower that until you get results closer to the measurements you expect.

The guide chart for activity level on the garmin website isn't particulay helpful as it only lists example timescales for excersize and not intensity so is only half the picture.

If only garmin connect somehow had access to your real excersize data so it could tell you what your activity level was... oh wait.

3Pio

by 3Pio

kevinw wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:34 pm
I actually like my garmin index - but bought it mainly for the automatic uploads to garmin connect.

Your activity level of 8 does seem high - I'd be tempted to lower that until you get results closer to the measurements you expect.

The guide chart for activity level on the garmin website isn't particulay helpful as it only lists example timescales for excersize and not intensity so is only half the picture.

If only garmin connect somehow had access to your real excersize data so it could tell you what your activity level was... oh wait.

I have about 300-500 km per week, and ride at lest 5 days in week (except when im ill and sore thorad like now :) ), and more then 11 hours per week (per their chart activity class is 7-11 hours per week). And a lot of minutes from this are intense minutes..

I put now activity level 7 (not big difference from 4), but big difference from 8, since 8 trigger special metabolism/activity rate (they have some name for this, but forgot the name and quick google while drinking first coffee dont help :) )

And also activity class should be something dynamic.. For example, there were months where i had about 1800-1900 km ridden, and months with only 600 km ridden (probably this month will be like that since my throat is sore for a week).

And seem that all those calculation are based on FitBit algorithms, which are not fully implemented at Garmin Side (for example still not syncing all activities from different Garmin devices and calculating on Cloud Side, but calculating at device side.. This should be solved with TrueUp compatible devices, but still not working properly based from what i read...)

Anyway, since im using Garmin Connect, it's good to have this scale which automaticly upload my weight everyday without to need to start some app for that, or to add manualy...

One big negative is that u can have just one weight per day...

And sometimes i want to weight my self, but without adding that measuring to Garmin Connect.. Is it possible to use it just as stupid scale? Stap on, see the weight and to dont upload that measuring in Garmin?

One idea i have is to create Ghost User , and to add this measuring to that account.. But that complicate thing to just check ur weight without adding anywhere measured value...

Conza

by Conza

I actually want something like this... but DC'd review put me off:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/02/gar ... eview.html

I think it's crazy that it hasn't been updated in years, and actually been 'nailed' properly. Geezus, if they do I will jump on it.

Or someone coming up with something similar.. auto upload, MORE than one measurement a day etc..
It's all about the adventure :o .