shoe covers for cold?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

simoncx

by simoncx

Any recommendations on really warm shoe covers for riding on the road? After years of suffering and getting worse I finally got diagnosed with pretty bad raynauds in the feet. I have about 8 different shoes covers and different socks that I've tried and none seem to keep my feet warm enough for 2-3hrs, price doesnt really matter anymore I just want to stay warm and keep my toes. Only other option is going to be getting a smart trainer and zwift for riding indoors around freezing which I'm not too happy about. Another problem that makes things worse is I cant wear wool, so most warm cycling socks are a no go.

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

Get some really thick neoprene ones. If that does not help you can always try some chemical warmers. An example:
https://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Toe-Warm ... B0043VN05Y

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Get warm shoes first.
Most of the major manufacturers make at least one insulated model.
Then a normal sock with a meraklon liner underneath. I can do 2+ hours at -15 without any ill effects.
My ex-wife suffers a bit more so she uses some heavy duty (5mm) neoprene shimano overshoes as well as all the other stuff. They've been discontinued for several years now though. Something like this https://www.gripgrab.com/products/arctic would be a suitable alternative i think.

Beyond that, you're into electrically heated soles.

Don't neglect your leg covering, no point in having well insulated feet if the blood getting to them is cold.

(Have now completed my 12th winter in Sweden, quite a warm one this year, coldest ride was only -6)

TonyM

by TonyM

Get specific winter shoes.

I have some (from Mavic) and they are so much warmer than my regular shoes+neopren etc.....

And taking these specific winter shoes in a bigger size you can wear winter socks etc....without squeezing your feet.

simoncx

by simoncx

I have 2 sets of neoprene ones from dexshell and there waterproof socks and another from assos which worked good until about 33-35 degrees and then my feet went cold anyway. The last cold ride that was alittle below freezing I had high heat embro on legs and feet, 2 pairs of shoes covers one thermal fleece and a gore windproof cover with chemical warmers inbetween it was ok for about 90mins, the next hour my feet went cold and had a very bad flare up that put me in the docs office. I'm starting to consider getting northwave winter shoes and using them with shoes covers and chemical warmers inbetween, if that fails not sure what options are left after that. The odd thing is my hands, upperbody or legs never get cold and its the opposite usually I'm way too warm even if dressed light in freezing weather. Luckily winter is almost over but I really dont want to go through the same next year and hoping my feet dont get worse.

TonyM

by TonyM

Try some specific winter shoes which are a size up so that you can have warm socks inside (that was a game changer for me!!). You can then of course add some overshoes indeed. Not sure about neoprene as you will have some sweat inside and you get cold. I have also the Assos winter overshoes Fugubooties S7 (that’s the one for the coldest temperatures) and they are really great. And better than neoprene. Some of my friends use feet warmers between the shoe and the overshoe also.

mattr

by mattr

Embrocation doesn't do anything. If anything, it'll make your core colder.
Waterproof socks don't help much either (Holds the sweat against your skin, which can then cool you down.)

Hope none of this stuff you are wearing is too tight, thats another killer for getting cold.

You've probably spent more than a decent pair of winter shoes on shit that doesn't work. I've done the same.

AJS914

by AJS914

Last year I was riding in 35F degree weather and I could do about two hours before my toes got cold and that was with regular mtb shoes, shoe covers, wool socks and toe warmers. The next step would have been dedicated winter shoes as recommended above.

simoncx

by simoncx

The past couple years have been a learning curve with the condition getting alot worse this year. I've only used the waterproof socks 2-3 times and they werent bad but they werent good either so I only use them in the rain nowadays. Shoes are ok because I have a pair of the same shoes I normally use in 1 size bigger to be able to wear thicker socks. The difficult part is what worked last year or 2 years in the same temps doesnt work anymore and I have to add different layers of thick and thin shoe covers and socks but that doesnt aways workout like planned. I was looking at northwave winter shoes before winter but was hesitate because I figured it would the same as thick shoes covers but I think I will give them a try.

robertbb

by robertbb

Wrap silver foil (the stuff you use for cooking/baking) around the front of your foot (over your sock). Just a few layers, then squeeze it and it wil mold to your shape.

Provided your shoes aren't light and airy "summer" shoes, this combined with a good set of toe warmers or booties will do the trick.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Separate the task of blocking wind and insulating your feet. Use a shoe cover as a wind blocker and wear appropriately warm socks. A key component of this is getting distance between the wind layer and your foot, so nothing thin. Bring a 2nd pair of warm socks if they get moist and swap them back and forth as needed. Keep your lower leg warm too

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

After spending most of my life on ski hills, multiple bouts of frost bite have left my toes with no ability to heat themselves. They can go numb even in cool conditions and it can be painful. The only real option is to keep your toes very warm all the time. The solution for me and for you is simple. As mentioned above chemical toe warmers will work magic. This: https://www.amazon.ca/Grabber-Performan ... hpc&sr=1-3 I buy them by the case.

They must be placed on top of the toes - not underneath as the package directions may indicate.

Then on top of the shoe, a Defeet oversock, and on top of that any insulated shoe cover that you like. I can spend 5 hours in low single digit temps with feet that are literally hot. No need for special shoes. Even with a winter shoe, if you have a real issue, you will still need the chemical heaters. Another thing about the chemical heaters is that you can control the burn rate by controlling the amount of air that can get to them. More permeable shoe covers will result in a hotter toe warmer but one that will not burn as long.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

bilwit

by bilwit

I picked up some Giro Winter Proof Shoe covers as my Rapha ones I've been using died out and couldn't be more happier. It's been around 0C with off/on freezing rain for the past month or so and the quality, effectiveness, and durability of these ones are tenfold that of Rapha whose accessories are now seen as pure garbage in my eyes.

I'm not very sensitive to cold weather though in terms of my core and toes/feet so possibly not the same experience with the same kit as you. My fingers on the other hand..

pedale

by pedale

Leaving in a nordic country, I ditched all my shoes covers (last one being a BBB in neoprene) for a dedicated Fizik winter boot. I don't regret it one second. A key factor of those is the impermeability that is always fiddly with a simple shoe cover. Specialized winter shoes also receive good press too.

Buy them during summer if you can, as they're often half price and if you consider the price still too high, consider that you won't be ruining your nice summer shoes.

Other advices of laying up and reflecting heat still apply, so you can size up a bit for a bigger/many socks

mattr

by mattr

FWIW, i just had a quick look for electrically heated insoles, they've got really cheap lately.
Last time i looked you were looking at a minimum of ~€200 euros, and battery packs clipped to your legs/shoes. Or more expense and fewer ancillaries.

You can now get a remote controlled, self contained, rechargeable insole for about €150.......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com