Does Xert just completely ignore all activity done without a power meter?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shrike

by Shrike

Haven't used a power meter since mid Jan, (been training on my gravel bike - endurance and some threshold work on hills etc using HR) and decided tonight to pop back on Xert to see what progress they've made. Just seen it gave me a 60 watt FTP drop as it was uploading rides. Went and had a look at my progress chart and after mid Jan it's blank and has a predicted FTP and form line which explains the 60 watt drop.

I know Xert wants you to use a power meter, but it does upload all Strava activities and has that estimated power on them. Take it it just ignores all this in it's actual calculations though?

Basically if doing a lot of work on the gravel bike I need to take out a bike with a power meter once a week and do a hard ride to keep it up to date?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SloRacer

by SloRacer

Yep, I think so. It's a power based software, for calculations with power data. So I guess they ignore non power meter rides. Bad planning on their part.

calleking

by calleking

You can change the decay method so that your FTP doesn't get lower and lower while riding with HR only. As far as the TSS goes (XSS) you can check your hrTSS with the Elevate chrome plugin for Strava. Not sure if Today's Plan or Training Peaks free editions give you a TSS indication from heart rate only. There's always Golden Cheetah :)

Xert said they're working on incorporating HR but it's not ready yet.

On the Xert Users group on facebook there's a guy who has managed to make custom Garmin CIQ data field for Xert that translates HR to Power. Naturally it doesn't work well for spiky efforts where your HR is delayed but for your commuting or longer endurance rides it works pretty good.

Take a look here: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/fc90 ... _Hs-8ibsSU
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

Shrike

by Shrike

Ah righty thanks. Shame. I'll keep an eye out for their HR implementation and try again if they get round to it.

That Garmin app is class :P

TheRich

by TheRich

calleking wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:01 am
You can change the decay method so that your FTP doesn't get lower and lower while riding with HR only. As far as the TSS goes (XSS) you can check your hrTSS with the Elevate chrome plugin for Strava. Not sure if Today's Plan or Training Peaks free editions give you a TSS indication from heart rate only. There's always Golden Cheetah :)

Xert said they're working on incorporating HR but it's not ready yet.

On the Xert Users group on facebook there's a guy who has managed to make custom Garmin CIQ data field for Xert that translates HR to Power. Naturally it doesn't work well for spiky efforts where your HR is delayed but for your commuting or longer endurance rides it works pretty good.

Take a look here: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/fc90 ... _Hs-8ibsSU
HR has been implimented into Xert, which raises a question...

Training Peaks HrTSS is wildly inflated compared to Elevate and Xert...and it's not as if Elevate's HSS matches PSS or TSS for rides with power data. Who to believe?