Starting with 0 fitness after injury

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SloRacer

by SloRacer

*First post*

So I earlier used to train at around 400-600 TSS/week. Got a fracture, and thus couldn't ride for 2.5 months. So basically fitness/CTL is 0 now.

So my question is, what should be the starting TSS of my first week? TrainingPeaks and TrainerRoad both recommend a ramp rate of 5-7.

So my concern is, if I start with 200 TSS/week from 0 TSS/week, my ramp rate will be almost 30. And then if I build on that 200 TSS in the forthcomming weeks, will I be over training?

What TSS do I start proper training with? 50/week? 150/week? 250/week?

I'm confused. Please help.

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

SloRacer wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:20 am
*First post*

So I earlier used to train at around 400-600 TSS/week. Got a fracture, and thus couldn't ride for 2.5 months. So basically fitness/CTL is 0 now.

So my question is, what should be the starting TSS of my first week? TrainingPeaks and TrainerRoad both recommend a ramp rate of 5-7.

So my concern is, if I start with 200 TSS/week from 0 TSS/week, my ramp rate will be almost 30. And then if I build on that 200 TSS in the forthcomming weeks, will I be over training?

Thanks.

Last season i broke my wrist and i was about 4 weeks in Plaster Cast, and another 3 weeks off the bike... While in plaster cast i was doing some long walks, InDoor Trainer, and as soon as removed the cast, i start running uphill on local mountain so tried to mainten my fitness..

Anyway even doing that my fitness level was much much lower then before (lets say 0) After initial 7 weeks off bike, i start riding as much as i can (first 5-10 rides i had a problem using the brakes, but in same time using the brakes was best excersise to get my wrist back in shape..)

After just few rides i done first 125 km ride (i really had trouble to get back, but i did..).. And after that few rides, my fitness and power increased dramaticly (seem that probably i was over trained, and that off bike period help me to get a lot of sleep....)

So i really pushed in rides after that..Few more then 200 km rides very soon after that, and tss increment big margin, and also kilometers per month... As u can see my ramp rate was much higher then what TrainingPeaks suggest and I think this is very personal, so just check how ur body feel and increase the riding in the margin u feel improvement and feel fine....

Wish u fast recovery...

TheRich

by TheRich

SloRacer wrote:
*First post*

Thanks.
The big question is what did you fracture? You aren't going to be able to accurately track TSS after being off the bike for so long, but "overtraining" is probably going to show up as an inability to perform instead of something more serious so it's probably safe to just go for it and adjust as you go.

sychen

by sychen

TheRich wrote:
The big question is what did you fracture? You aren't going to be able to accurately track TSS after being off the bike for so long, but "overtraining" is probably going to show up as an inability to perform instead of something more serious so it's probably safe to just go for it and adjust as you go.
Ya depending on the injury...

I broke my tibia 2 years ago.. No weight bearing for 6 months.. Leg wasted into nothing.

Had to retrain to walk /run before any serious bike training could be done.
So many muscles had to be retrained for either under use or over use. That's an extreme case...full year to get off rehab mode.

Sounds like a less sever injury for you which is good. Listen to your body/doctor/physio.

If you have a coach.. It would be good to track your stats as you ramp up... Can't say where you start from.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

AJS914

by AJS914

In the other topic you started, you were asking how to build 1 minute power?

I would just start with very slow base miles. Do some rides and see how you feel. Increase it a little bit per week if everything feels good. I don't see how anyone here could give you a TSS number to shoot for.

SloRacer

by SloRacer

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:57 pm
In the other topic you started, you were asking how to build 1 minute power?
Haha I was planning ahead.

SloRacer

by SloRacer

TheRich wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:52 pm
SloRacer wrote:
*First post*

Thanks.
It (was) an hairline fracture, in the tibia. Very small, happened due to me crashing into a football (soccer?) post while playing.

sychen

by sychen

SloRacer wrote:
It (was) an hairline fracture, in the tibia. Very small, happened due to me crashing into a football (soccer?) post while playing.
Lol.. Mine was football too.. Snapped right in two, shin meets kneecap.. Shin loses even with pads.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SloRacer

by SloRacer

sychen wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:43 am
SloRacer wrote:
Lol.. Mine was football too.. Snapped right in two, shin meets kneecap.. Shin loses even with pads.

But I managed to score, so extra points for me :D