Using an electric motor on rollers

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wlbm

by wlbm

Hello forum,

Today I was mulling over how to get better training on my rollers, and suddenly had a brainwave about grabbing an old electric motor from work and coupling it to the front roller via a belt.
It seems to my simple brain that I should be able to generate electricity and read off the amount generated on a meter for some idea of the volume of work I'm doing. Maybe even feed it to a phone charger or a battery and inverter to do something useful. Maybe even vary the load dynamically based on a program?
Is this something others have attempted? I've seen articles on making bike-based generators, but nothing to do with training on rollers.

Or am I crazy?

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

You're probably crazy, but I am interested in what you come up with.

It annoys me that I have to plug in and switch on a computer, and a smart trainer, drawing power to nulify the power I am putting out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

Not 100% pertinent, but I belive one of the mid-range Elite trainers runs on the power you generate.

ms6073

by ms6073

The legacy Tacx Genius was designed to return excess energy to the grid when the users power output exceeded the input. Also, the Tacx Flux/Flux S/Neo/Neo 2 can all be used un-plugged with only a Garmin or Wahoo head unit.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

jfranci3

by jfranci3

wlbm wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:38 am
Hello forum,

Today I was mulling over how to get better training on my rollers, and suddenly had a brainwave about grabbing an old electric motor from work and coupling it to the front roller via a belt.
It seems to my simple brain that I should be able to generate electricity and read off the amount generated on a meter for some idea of the volume of work I'm doing. Maybe even feed it to a phone charger or a battery and inverter to do something useful. Maybe even vary the load dynamically based on a program?
Is this something others have attempted? I've seen articles on making bike-based generators, but nothing to do with training on rollers.

Or am I crazy?
It'll give you something to think about while you're on the rollers. If you had a fixed trainer you could actually fiddle with it while you exercised. . Seems like it'd be easier to just grab a smart trainer resistance unit and cable that up to the roller - https://www.ebay.com/itm/TACX-RECONDITI ... :rk:5:pf:0 You'd then have resistance too.

I think this is just a hall effect sensor you could try - https://amzn.to/2EfuXvF It is said to work with Elite's rollers - https://www.probikekit.com/turbo-traine ... lsrc=aw.ds