£2000 to spend on a trainer..what would you get?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

quango2k

by quango2k

Hi all,

Need some advice as above.

I was dead set on getting a full Wahoo setup ( kickr 18, climb, headwind, mat and desk but after reading on forums about the problems with the speed sensors blowing up, the noise from the key on the kickr and the climb belts snapping leaving one guy with chipped teeth...I'm edging away from Wahoo.

Any comments on the above, also any insight on the Tacx Neo 2, the cyclops Hammer or even the Wattbike Atom.

I already have a TV on a stand, computer in the room etc so my budget is for the unit itself and any subsiduary parts.

peted76

by peted76

Why not just get a Wattbike Pro and be done with it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rudi

by Rudi

If you read any forum about trainers they are all basically death traps or a waste of money. Obviously they aren't, but people generally go on forums to complain or find answers to problems.

DCrainmaker or GPlama are generally well balanced reviewers of products.

I didn't hear a lot of positives about the Atom when it first landed but not sure if they have improved that. I assume you want a smart trainer and that is why you haven't mentioned the Wattbike itself. If you just want a fantastic platform with enough watts for a GB sprinter then it is the way to go. Not so much if you want Erg mode though.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

quango2k

by quango2k

peted76 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:03 pm
Why not just get a Wattbike Pro and be done with it.
Its a little out of budget but certainly dooable. I just want to know from any users that have one and what they think. I want a trainer mainly for Zwift racing and training.

quango2k

by quango2k

Rudi wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:05 pm
If you read any forum about trainers they are all basically death traps or a waste of money. Obviously they aren't, but people generally go on forums to complain or find answers to problems.

DCrainmaker or GPlama are generally well balanced reviewers of products.

I didn't hear a lot of positives about the Atom when it first landed but not sure if they have improved that. I assume you want a smart trainer and that is why you haven't mentioned the Wattbike itself. If you just want a fantastic platform with enough watts for a GB sprinter then it is the way to go. Not so much if you want Erg mode though.
I Agree, but there seems to be a LOT of complaints about the kickr 18..I wonder if they have solved the problems yet. I know any of them can have issues, I'd just rather start off in the right place.

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

Elite (Drivo), Tacx (Neo, I think, looks like something out of Star Wars) all cost around 1000 EUR and, to my knowledge, get raving reviews. It will leave you with plenty of money to spend on something else.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

I’ve got a Kickr 1 and a Wattbike Atom. The Kickr feels better and you get to ride your bike and use the gears. That’s cool. But.....

The Wattbike can be used by different users really simply. The computer ‘finds’ the Wattbike immediately, not always the way with the Kickr, as there are multiple sensors (Kickr, then search the cadence sensor). That’s a huge disadvantage when you want to do a 30 min workout and 10 mins are wasted trying to find the trainer.

Also, riding Kickr, i am conscious of the QR needing to be torqued down properly and the twisting on the frame, which ‘might’ be fine, but the frame wasn’t really designed for that. On the Wattbike I really like that I am using something built for purpose. It feels boss and solid. I’m not worried so much about sweat. The footprint is also a lot smaller - important to me.

It’s kept in the house and I have kids. That the chain and dirty bits are enclosed so it is clean. I don’t need to worry about anything getting caught in the chain (dropping your towel / headphones is a great way to jam your drivetrain).

Finally, when I want to actually ride, I hop on my bike and go. I don’t have to take it off the trainer, fit a wheel etc. No big deal, but it means more riding time is spent riding not messing.

FelixTheCat

by FelixTheCat

I just purchased a Tacx Neo 2, super easy to set up and worked perfectly out of the box (just need to buy a cassette).

Will update over the the next couple of weeks/months.

apex

by apex

I have had Neo for over two years and if it died I would replace it with another. I really want to had a Wahoo fan to my enviroment but the price is scaring me off.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

apex wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:14 pm
I have had Neo for over two years and if it died I would replace it with another.
Same here.

(also, I'm liking the TACX Desktop App (films and custom workouts better) more than Zwift (workout menu better).)

mcfarton

by mcfarton

I have a gen 1 kickr and it has been solid. It was damaged when it was shipped to me and wahoo got me another one very quickly. I had a problem with the power spiking on zwift and it turned out to be my Bluetooth headphones. Wahoo helped me find the problem and move forward. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from wahoo again.

They have had some problems with the kickr 18 but they have taken care of their customers. Also it was something like less than 5% of them had problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MountainAddict

by MountainAddict

Neo - I bought the first generation for a great discount with the Gen 2 being out now. After all the reviews I read/watched online, the Neo seemed to be the most accurate, proven, and reliable trainer out there. It's been absolutely flawless.

I bought a Wahoo desk used off a local Cyling Buy/Sell/Trade group, and already had a trainer mat and a spare fan.

If I were you, I'd get a Neo (original) for under $1,000: link, a knockoff Wahoo desk for around $100-150: link 1 or link 2, and use the leftover in your budget for a cassette, trainer mat, and a fan. If Google currency converter is accurate, you still should have about 1,000 pounds left over (don't tell the Wife) to use on other bike gear/upgrades.

mattr

by mattr

Same ^^^^^^ can't see anything else that world justify spending more than the price of a neo.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I think I'd rather buy a holiday than £2000 on a trainer. I would not even spend 2000 bolivars in one. It's nice outside now you know. In fact we seems to have a different countries weather.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scapie

by scapie

+1 for actual trainer bike, Wattbike Pro, Atom or Tacx Neo Bike.

RTW is spot on. Clipping your bike on and off the trainer is a PITA. Just treat yourself.