Neo + Zwift and resistance

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I have only used an old Tacx booster trainer and then i bought Neo.
I run Zwift and be it i have not been riding or training since summer, but i am baffled that it feels so heavy.
I can't even run my 50T chainring at all. I am in the 36T all the time and probably never at the 12-11 at the cassette.
Am i missing something or?
I typed my weight, 85Kgs and 6.8Kgs as bike weight.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

mattr

by mattr

You're not as fit as you thought you were.
Get on some of the various zwift and/or high end trainer pages on facebook and you'll see dozens of people complaining of the same thing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I have notice i'm in bad shape/ fit. But still, never had an issue using a 50T. Used to ride 52T, but i figured i like higher cadence so the 52T was overkill for me.
However, this is ridiculous.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Jugi

by Jugi

Can't spin a 50T chainring in Zwift at all? Not even in a 6% descent?

ms6073

by ms6073

wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:59 pm
I can't even run my 50T chainring at all. I am in the 36T all the time and probably never at the 12-11 at the cassette.
Am i missing something or?
Not a Zwift user but I would ask if there was a setting for FTP in the Zwift user profile? Additionally, not sure when your Neo was manufactured, but have you checked to see if your Neo has the latest firmware? If not, install the Tacx Utility app on a smartphone and update the firmware, then use the Tacx utility to check the resistance level while riding the trainer.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

My Neo is produced during 2018 and has the latest firmware.
I use ERG mode. FTP, hm, what's that?
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

mattr

by mattr

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:04 pm
FTP, hm, what's that?
It's how fit you are.

guyc

by guyc

If you’re using ERG mode and have your FTP super high that might explain it. Hard to say without much more info.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Thanks how ERG works. if you can’t keep the cadence up, it increases the resistance. The increased resistance will fatigue your legs, causing your cadence to dip. Because your cadence dipped even more, the resistance continues to increase and eventually your legs come grinding to a halt. We call it the spiral of death. Either lower your FTP setting, learn to spin-up ahead of higher intensity intervals or turn off ERG for those intervals.

I personally rarely use ERG. I’d rather participate in structured training group rides or races.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I have not seen any settings other than ERG on/off. Regarding cadence, i usually am between 95-105. It's to heavy to pedal lower rpm.
Do you guys mean ERG mode is actually harder than skip it?
What is considered high FTP? A number would be nice!
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

MountainAddict

by MountainAddict

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:13 pm
I have not seen any settings other than ERG on/off. Regarding cadence, i usually am between 95-105. It's to heavy to pedal lower rpm.
Easier for a heavier rider to have a high FTP vs someone 10kg or 20 kg lighter.

Here's a good resource to check out: https://zwiftinsider.com/rider-categori ... -you-rank/

Better to use FTP as watts/kg than just your FTP. That way you can compare say a 65kg rider to an 85kg rider.

I hover around ~183 lbs/83kg and my FTP is 311 aka ~3.7 watts/kg. According to the Zwift Insider post that would put me in Cat 3. I just began racing last year, but to be honest I'll be lucky if I'm at all competitive in Cat 4 when I upgrade this season. The racing here in Colorado is some of the best in the States and is extremely competitive.

guyc

by guyc

There's no such thing as a generic FTP number. It's specific to you and the only way to find out yours is to take a test.

ERG mode is where you stay in gear and the trainer sets the resistance based on the workout demands. You can't stop pedalling and if it's asking you for 180w then you'll need to deliver that regardless of your cadence. It will maintain the power required from you. So, if you've told Zwift you have an FTP of 350w when it's really 240w, and start riding in ERG mode you're going to be in trouble because it will be asking more of you than you can maintain. Similarly, ig your FTP is 350w and Zwift is using 240w as your FTP setting you'll find workouts too easy.

I use ERG and find it very useful for structure but it can be a bit of a bastard as there's no coasting.

Can I suggest you read up more on both Zwift and the Neo settings. You've bought top-end kit so it makes sense to learn about it. ERG mode is set within a workout and can be toggled on or off, FTP is a global setting you apply in Zwift which it then uses for workouts etc.

MountainAddict

by MountainAddict

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:13 pm
Easier for a heavier rider to have a high FTP vs someone 10kg or 20 kg lighter.

Here's a good resource to check out: https://zwiftinsider.com/rider-categori ... -you-rank/

Better to use FTP as watts/kg than just your FTP. That way you can compare say a 65kg rider to an 85kg rider.

I hover around ~183 lbs/83kg and my FTP is 311 aka ~3.7 watts/kg. According to the Zwift Insider post that would put me in Cat 3. I just began racing last year, but to be honest I'll be lucky if I'm at all competitive in Cat 4 when I upgrade this season. The racing here in Colorado is some of the best in the States and is extremely competitive.

A "good" FTP is pretty subjective, but I'd say you'd want to be at least 3.0 watts/kg if you're moderately serious about training/racing/riding in general.
Last edited by MountainAddict on Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MountainAddict

by MountainAddict

Double post.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Thanks guys, i "heard" both of you.
I'll admit i have not been reading up sufficently at all.
I contacted Zwift and i was informed on how to lower the trainers resistance.
I will try that in ERG mode and with it turned off.
3*85 is like 255 in FTP. Puh, that seems much, but i'd better go through your tips aswell as lowering the trainers resistance.
I would really like to be able to shift more on my own.
That "set gear" mode is not for me. I am always shifting alot when i bike (for real).

Again, thanks for the insight :thumbup:
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)