Wahoo Kickr Snap stopped working

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MDey

by MDey

So I have an issue and maybe someone has been through it before and can help. I’ve seen other threads on the Snap’s issues, but none that match what I’m facing.

I’ve been using my Wahoo Kickr Snap without issue for several months now. I’ve had no major issues until yesterday. My Snap is paired with Zwift and the problem happened after about 1 hour of steady riding (about as hard as I usually ride). Suddenly, all my riding data disappeared and the Snap was no longer interpreting the power of my pedal strokes.

So I shut everything down and came back an hour later when the unit had cooled. I powered it up and zwift and... nothing. The snap still turns on. It still pairs with zwift. It still has tension in the barrel.

So I eliminated zwift from consideration and opened the wahoo utility app (and fitness app). Indeed, I had to download new firmware and did that. I also updated my IOS and deleted and reinstalled the wahoo apps.

Still nothing. What I mean by nothing is when I attempt to perform a spin down in the wahoo app (or zwift), I spin the pedals, feel tension, but when I see (km per hr or mph) I get nothing. Therefore, the zwift avatar doesn’t move, I gather no data for distance or power, etc. Nothing, though the snap powers up and is communicating with my apps.

Wahoo’s troubleshooting page directed me to clean the sensor (there’s no sensor tape... hmmmm). And that seems iffy as it requires use a hex wrench to open the unit and wipe down a sensor. Hmmm.

Ideas and suggestions welcome.

hambini

by hambini

you may want to check the speed sensor. there is an optical sensor that checks the speed from the flywheel. Make sure it's clean and the reflector is also clean.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mcfarton

by mcfarton

Email them,they were super helpful with any issue I have had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDey

by MDey

Okay. Cleaned the sensor (I think) according to Wahoo’s instructions. Still nothing.

Where is the reflector?

hambini

by hambini

on the flywheel there will be a white sticker, make sure that is clean. I swapped mine for a piece of tin foil.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

MDey

by MDey

Can you tell me where that is? Photo perhaps?

MDey

by MDey

By the way, here is what Wahoo recommends in case anyone here has issues. Unfortunately the below did not work for me so I’m still looking for a fix.

Thanks for contacting Wahoo Fitness and I'm sorry for your troubles.
Try these steps to reset your KICKR’s Bluetooth connection:

1. Un-pair your KICKR from all apps you’ve connected to.

2. Forget the KICKR if it is listed under your Bluetooth settings
3. Toggle Bluetooth off. Please note, this needs to be done from within the Bluetooth menu of the Settings app. Doing this in the Control Center does not fully turn off BT.
4. Turn off your phone
5. Reset your KICKR (unplug for 30 seconds, plug back in)
6. Turn on your phone
7. Turn on Bluetooth
8. Open the Wahoo Fitness app
9. Go to the Sensors page
10. Choose the option to add your KICKR

11. Make sure the KICKR is awake
12. Choose the KICKR and save it

When you've gone through all of this, please attempt a regular spindown in the Wahoo Fitness app.

hambini

by hambini

MDey wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:54 am
Can you tell me where that is? Photo perhaps?
If you have a look on my youtube channel for kickr power spike fix, it's in there.

MDey

by MDey

Thanks. Tried everything and then called Wahoo. Got to praise them here: they’re sending me a new trainer. Ideally, my old one would have responded to the suggested fixes. This is a good outcome, too.

mcfarton

by mcfarton

They did the same for me when I had trouble. Great customer service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com