Homemade rocking rollers: has anyone done it?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

prebsy

by prebsy

I've always been interested in adding some rocking motion to my rollers so I can confidently get out of the saddle and save my poor bum. Lots of solutions like e-motion or a homemade bungee cord box don't interest me b/c I need a foldable set. The tacx galaxia motion is very intriging but they don't fold and don't offer enough resistance so they aren't an off the shelf solution.
Has anyone attempted to mimic the form factor of the Galaxia ie 'rocking' rollers? is this sort of rocking foot made for any product outside these rollers?

naylor343

by naylor343

Deleted

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hogehoge

by hogehoge

prebsy wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:36 am
I've always been interested in adding some rocking motion to my rollers so I can confidently get out of the saddle and save my poor bum. Lots of solutions like e-motion or a homemade bungee cord box don't interest me b/c I need a foldable set. The tacx galaxia motion is very intriging but they don't fold and don't offer enough resistance so they aren't an off the shelf solution.
Has anyone attempted to mimic the form factor of the Galaxia ie 'rocking' rollers? is this sort of rocking foot made for any product outside these rollers?

The cams on this rockerplate could be the part you need https://bikechimps.de/diy-rockerplate-v2
I have a set of Elite Quick-Motion rollers which fold, rock and have resistance but I never use them because I also have a set TruTrainer rollers with load bar I prefer much more.

prebsy

by prebsy

wow those could work perfectly. Do you think i could put one cam at the front roller and one at the back or run 2 in the rear and wheels in the front like the galaxia?

mattr

by mattr

The galaxia i have downstairs is folded.
Or at least, slid in on itself.

There is apparently a hack to add a resistance unit, which I looked at before buying a direct drive smart trainer.

prebsy

by prebsy

a bolt on resistance unit would be awesome with the galaxias. I looked at this solution but it looked like minoura was the only one that made them and they haven't been in production for many years

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Depending on how wide your existing rollers are, you could buy the SportCrafters OverDrive drum and bolt it on.

https://www.sportcrafters.com/products/ ... drive-drum

Per their literature, it offers more resistance than their old magnetic unit, which I've had on SC rollers for 10+ years now.

Now, re: the DIY rockers, that's awesome. It would be nice not to have to worry about balancing while doing standing intervals on the rollers in my garage. Definitely considering doing something like this.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

This doesn't answer the op's questions, but is a hearty endorsement for the Tacx Galaxia. I have ridden regular Cyclops aluminum drum rollers for six years or so, and attempting to stand always felt so unnatural to me. I very much enjoyed riding them, but the concentration required limited my time to about 40 minutes or so. Bought the Galaxia a couple of months ago, and they are a total game changer. The rocking motion paired with parabolic drums makes riding rollers almost a no-brainer. I can stand naturally, with full weight on bars, look around, look behind me, etc. These are such a pleasure that I have taken to riding them four mornings a week, regardless of the weather. Just some easy, additional time in the saddle. They are fun, super easy to ride (if you know how to ride rollers of course), and really work as advertised for such a simple idea.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

prebsy

by prebsy

I really wanted to make this project happen but got a screaming deal on a set of older e-motions. They are very much worth it but I'd be interested to see the results if anyone tried to pursue this

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

You don’t have to go crazy. Just bolt some cheap hardware store steel wheels to your roller frame. You don’t anything else. You won’t roll across the house. The misalignment of the wheels and the construction of the wheels will add enough friction. If you want, you can put a towel or something down to stop you. I did this on hardwood floors and commercial carpeting last year.