Who's doing what this winter - TrainerRoad, Zwift, Sufferfest, Xert etc?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

otoman

by otoman

Link?
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

bilwit

by bilwit

LeDuke wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:38 pm
One thing that Zwift doesn’t/can’t account for (yet) is the actual elevation of the rider.

I realize there are multiple, slightly different ways of attempting to calculate the impact of altitude on wattage at LT. But, pick one, do an average of several, whatever.

It was a little frustrating doing 340w+ at 7,200ft, watching some sea level guys slowly pulling away. And not all realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Richie Porte said a couple years ago that when was constantly getting dropped on Box Hill he knew Zwift wasn't for him :lol: TBF it's supposed to be a primarily a training stimulus and not a 1:1 real life race simulator

by Weenie

robertbb

by robertbb

eeney wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:37 am

I've since found group coaching, where you sign up for coaching as part of an online group at a fraction of the price of usual coaching. The coach gives weekly workout schedules as part of a plan (usually 12 weeks), the workouts can be downloaded as Zwift, TR, etc. The coach also provides forum based advice and responses to questions. I've found the coaching really good, but so much more motivating as part of a group. I tend to do the workouts in Zwift, and then incorporate a couple of Zwift and outdoor group rides per week.
Do you have a URL or forum link?

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

I've been using Sufferfest mainly this winter.
Really enjoying it, the videos and music are pretty good and the workouts are tough.

Definitely managed to maintain my weight and possibly lose a bit as well.
Got another 3 weeks left of my training plan and then a 4dp retest.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

simoncx

by simoncx

I just started using zwift since upgraging to a h3 smart trainer and so far really like it, definitely keeps me from getting bored. The A race is a good workout but one thing I did notice is power between riders in a race is a bit off. After the race looking at the results one thing that stuck out was some of the guys in the top 15 had low average power about 210-225 but 5w/kg+ for 60mins, which I kind of find it hard to believe they actually weight 40-42kg.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I never see Cat A winners with watts that low. About 240W is as low as it gets in random A races. In the bigger race series, it's way higher than that.

jimboqu

by jimboqu

Doing a fair bit of Zwift. I'm riding the Etape this year, so have been trying to do the Build me Up program. The problem is I've got sucked into the Tour de Zwift, which has affected things a bit.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

So I'm doing Sufferfest right now (5x/wk, 3 hard days + 1 Tempo Zwift day)

I gotta say SF is well thought out. My last training program was Trainerroad 3yrs ago. In all fairness a lot has changed since then, but I'm enjoying the suffering @ SF.

It's probably boring for older users but I see there's a solid following on social media. The videos are a bit outdated but it doesnt bother me much (2014 to 2016?)

DC41

by DC41

robertbb wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:24 am
eeney wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:37 am

I've since found group coaching, where you sign up for coaching as part of an online group at a fraction of the price of usual coaching. The coach gives weekly workout schedules as part of a plan (usually 12 weeks), the workouts can be downloaded as Zwift, TR, etc. The coach also provides forum based advice and responses to questions. I've found the coaching really good, but so much more motivating as part of a group. I tend to do the workouts in Zwift, and then incorporate a couple of Zwift and outdoor group rides per week.
Do you have a URL or forum link?
Just found this thread. Bought a Kickr Core a month ago and have only tried Zwift. I see eeney hasn't responded to the requests for links to group coaching. I did a bit of searching and found this. https://www.cyclecoach.com/group-coaching Never heard of them before, but I might give their 12 week group coaching a try. HTH
Self-Proclaimed Resident Master Fattie - Vicious DC Slither

jlok

by jlok

Here is a post about the Xert user's reflection/review on why they're still on the platform.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/XertUse ... 300697137/
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

g32ecs

by g32ecs

2 mos later from my post above -

Im thoroughly enjoying Zwift. Ive raced a few times (went from D to C in a month w/ 2 wins) and increased my FTP. I think I will pay for another month until May, but will stop after that unless this pandemic gets worse and my government bans outdoor rides.

I just couldn't justify paying for 2 programs at the moment. I will still recommend Sufferfest for the training programs 100% though. Perhaps winter I will just have to pay for 2 programs.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

g32ecs wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:04 pm

Im thoroughly enjoying Zwift. Ive raced a few times (went from D to C in a month w/ 2 wins) and increased my FTP. I think I will pay for another month until May, but will stop after that unless this pandemic gets worse and my government bans outdoor rides.

I just couldn't justify paying for 2 programs at the moment. I will still recommend Sufferfest for the training programs 100% though. Perhaps winter I will just have to pay for 2 programs.

The C19 pandemic and a canceled race season has resulted in 100% of my training being on Zwift instead of mostly on fast group rides. I've boosted my FT by 10W in 3 weeks.

Yoln

by Yoln

g32ecs wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:04 pm

Same, definitely would recommend Sufferfest for training. I am realizing that I am more and more doing the GCN training rides though, especially after the addon of 6 more of their trainings. I like the fact that they are more simple in their structure, it makes me hit them harder than the more erratic Sufferfest ones, where it feels more like a race where you are trying to keep up while still keep some amo left for the unknown end... Also I prefer GCN's humour/talks than the weird Sufferfest ones...
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160943

Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161550

Yoln

by Yoln

g32ecs wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:42 am
So I'm doing Sufferfest right now (5x/wk, 3 hard days + 1 Tempo Zwift day)

I gotta say SF is well thought out. My last training program was Trainerroad 3yrs ago. In all fairness a lot has changed since then, but I'm enjoying the suffering @ SF.

It's probably boring for older users but I see there's a solid following on social media. The videos are a bit outdated but it doesnt bother me much (2014 to 2016?)
I don't see them at all on social medias (at least compared to Zwift or TrainerRoads), what are you talking about?
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160943

Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161550

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

I'm now bouncing between sufferfest and zwift again
Suff videos and the music on them definitely motivate me more than zwift, especially when it's a tough fast workout and you're attacking a race.

Always struggle to find a workout I want to do on zwift as well.

Zwift races are great though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie