Who's doing what this winter - TrainerRoad, Zwift, Sufferfest, Xert etc?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shrike

by Shrike

Just been training myself lately but started to feel motivated to get back to something structured. Did TrainerRoad's Sweetspot Base I&II High last winter and am considering it again now though it's hard to see past Zwift as it's definitely a more engaging experience.

What you guys up to? Anyone going all in on Xert? :P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

Xerter here. Just love the MPA concept that describe your above TP work capacity and real-time Garmin CIQ data field. It's like cheating :)
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

commendatore

by commendatore

I went all in on xert a few months back. The concept is good, but I found it really lacking since it basically ignores all work below threshold. Following their prescribed workouts did not make me faster and I actually lost fitness.

zscs

by zscs

I'm only an amateur XCM racer, just over 40 yrs who started MTBing ~11 yrs ago (and racing for only ~5 years). Nevertheless, I like racing so much, this sport (XCM) added a big boost to my health in overall. (After 10 years, dropped almost 10 kgs, no more issues with my blood pressure, etc.) 2 years ago, I started to train with a professional training coach so I have an annual plan now, starting in november 1st with a 3-week break (no cycling). After 3 weeks of resting I start with basic endurance (mostly on an indoor trainer) combined with gym workouts. Zwift, Sufferfest and others doesn't bother me somehow (however I'm curious a bit), but I like to watch movies during indoor workouts (movies that I have missed during the last 15 years). So far that's enough to make exercises a bit less boring. ;) Endurance indoor training in the first 2 months is about building up basic endurance with fat burn, so I do quite a lot in Zone2 (56-75% of my FTP) with short(er) Zone3 intervals after a few weeks.
Nevertheless, last year I realized that, Gym has quite a big factor improving my cycling performance. So twice a week I have Gym workouts. I train my entire body, combined with special leg exercises like barbell squat (starting with 3x10RM, after a few weeks 3x8RM and ending up with 4x6RM, 5x3RM), deadlift, one-legged hip flexion and leg curl+leg extension. After I reached a plateu in 2015, 2016 2017 with FTP 345-348 Watts, suddenly my FTP boosted up to 360+ to year 2018 (~4.9 W/kg), after only ~32-35 (during 4.5 months) Gym sessions - I highly recommend it to anyone! ;)
Hope this information helps to you, to survive those dark winter days and, especially hitting the Gym will also give plenty of boost to your fitness! ;-)

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

I'm using Zwift, 4th winter starting now. I tried TR and it's a great work-out but i just enjoy those grouprides on Zwift.

On Monday i have a 2hr base ride, wednesday an easy groupride, thursday a race or a structured workout and on sunday i do the Fondo or something else that's on the menu. I dont race so for me it's not about the perfect workout, just about having a good time and staying fit. And it's easier to stay motivated when you're having fun :)!

glepore

by glepore

commendatore wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:45 pm
I went all in on xert a few months back. The concept is good, but I found it really lacking since it basically ignores all work below threshold. Following their prescribed workouts did not make me faster and I actually lost fitness.
I'll echo this. The performance tracking is very good. The workouts are meh. Given that Golden Cheetah is free, I probably won't re up. Can do enough interval work with either ergvideo or just veloreality that its not needed.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

mattr

by mattr

Zwift for me.
Tacx Neo, fastish gaming laptop, spotify and i'm set. Might even get it on the projector once i get the house rearranged.

Oh, studded tyres on the MTB as well.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Last Season i was using TrainerRoad and very satisfied...

This season mix between riding outside and TrainerRoad again.. I gave a chance to SufferFest, but i prefer Traineroad..

Zwift is boring to me, and actually dont motivate me...

Just because of interest i made a trial account on XERT when it started, but i did not own a powermeter then so i just checked and did not use it at all.. When i got a PowerMeter, i wanted to try it.. I explain to XERT support that i never used trial because i did not own powermeter then, and would like to have a chance to try it before buy, and as first they replied something like ok, then their reply was a bit arogant.... So i decide to dont give them suppport at all...Now when i see that Xert Compared to TraineRoad actually dont make u fitter, seem that TR still best choice for real training on Trainer...

Also dont use Smart Trainer, i use Kinetic Road Machine which is perefect for what i need (thanks to WW members and their posts about usefull discussion Smart vs NonSmart Trainer)

Shrike

by Shrike

Commets above about Xert's workouts mirror my own experience. I loved the analysis but the workouts just weren't doing it for me. Really hope that area gets a big revision coming into 2019 along with a better UI for their mobile app. Being able to integrate/sync everything with TrainingPeaks and Zwift would be excellent. Really think there should be a way for your workout of the day to automatically sync over to Zwift as Zwift really is the most engaging experience for a lot of people.

That said, I've made my decision today. Going back to TrainerRoad again. Did the Ramp test today and see it's all working nicely since the last time I beta tested it. Auto updates FTP on the spot. Very nice and quite enjoyable compared to trad 20minute testing.

The Zwift plans just weren't quite where I wanted them to be, though I was considering just training myself this year as it has all the workouts available to do that and I can manage my own fatigue levels fine these days. Zwift definitely is the no.1 app IMO. Nothing is close to it. Racing, group workouts... just unbeatable. Workouts fly in when done in a group, I love it.

In the end going back to TR is simply because I wanted to compare like for like. To see how I perform doing the same plan as last year as I ended up making a mess of it last year by dieting too hard :P

Just need to find a way to keep entertained doing the longer efforts now :o

calleking

by calleking

I'm using Xert for the analysis and doing the type of intervals Seilers study prescribes. Polarized approach with 4x8 at 105-110% of FTP. I've used TrainerRoad before but the workouts there are no better or worse than the ones in Xert. There's just more of them and the research shows that keeping it simple works. Will give Xert some more time but I have a feeling I'll stick to Golden Cheetah + Zwift as I think the races are great to mix in every now and then.
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

robertbb

by robertbb

calleking wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:03 pm
I'm using Xert for the analysis and doing the type of intervals Seilers study prescribes. Polarized approach with 4x8 at 105-110% of FTP. I've used TrainerRoad before but the workouts there are no better or worse than the ones in Xert. There's just more of them and the research shows that keeping it simple works. Will give Xert some more time but I have a feeling I'll stick to Golden Cheetah + Zwift as I think the races are great to mix in every now and then.
Is that 4 intervals of 8 min, or 8 intervals of 4 min?

calleking

by calleking

Yes, 4 intervals of 8 minutes. There are many sources for the study. Here is one: http://www.bikepartsreview.com/Polarize ... _nbUzlwGdM
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

robertbb

by robertbb

Awesome link, thank you!

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I’ve been using Xert for 1 ½ years now. Although not following their plans during summer it’s the best analysis tool, especially live tracking. During winter I use training programs but mostly I do distance outside and race on Zwift.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

xDOMx

by xDOMx

Zwift with some customised structured workouts, races, and group rides thrown in for good measure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com