Scratches and bruises on specific spot after indoor session

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ivan

by Ivan

Hi all,

I am having this problem with my bibs after long indoor sessions. I get scratches/bruises on my skin sometimes to the point of bleeding. It only happens on one specific spot on my right leg and is caused by the seam of the chamois. I've tried different brands of bibs but they all have the chamois sewn to them so they all cause the irritation. Are there any bibs out there with a chamois with soft edges and bonded to the bibs rather than sewn ?

Thanks
He ride a bike instead of a car I wanna be his friend
Golden Earring - Going to the run

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

Assos s7 bibs have what they call a "golden gate." Basically this means the pad is sewn to the bibs at the front and rear of the pad. The sides are not attached. The lack of attachment at the sides allows the pad to move with the body (so less rubbing against your skin). This sounds like what you need.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

mcfarton

by mcfarton

Try some cream also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivan

by Ivan

I tried cream, didn't work for me.

@LiquidCooled: You have any first hand experiance with this assos bib ? Assos is a famous brand but some people are complaining that the chamois (because it is loose) works his way between your you-know-what.

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

I have two Assos bibs, an S7 and the previous generation S5 (which does not have the golden gate design). Both are very comfortable--so much so that I don't even think about trying non-Assos bibs anymore. I don't really feel the benefit of the golden gate per se, but I also don't have the specific problem that you are suffering. So perhaps the golden gate design would help you, perhaps not. But if any bibs were designed to specifically address your issue, it seems like the S7 bibs are it.

As to the problem of the pad being somehow loose and giving you a wedgie, I've never had that problem. I don't even know how that's possible. I mean the pad's sides are not fixed in place but it's not like the whole pad is floating around all over the place. Any movement is extremely subtle compared to a traditional pad. It's still anchored in the front and back. I wonder if the folks getting wedgies are wearing too large a size and so everything is too loose down there.
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Some of my sore spots after indoor training aren’t actually from seams and fabric, but from salt build-up. The amount of salt that builds up around my core, my sternum and front of my neck ends up making the skin feel raw, and can sometimes even result in the skin breaking / a rashy spot.

This is despite using a 20” Air Master pointed in my direction.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Check to see how level your bike is. I suspect your bars a few CM higher or lower than they would be on the road.

zefs

by zefs

LiquidCooled wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:24 am
Assos s7 bibs have what they call a "golden gate." Basically this means the pad is sewn to the bibs at the front and rear of the pad. The sides are not attached. The lack of attachment at the sides allows the pad to move with the body (so less rubbing against your skin). This sounds like what you need.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Same with DHB aeron bibs, as far as sides go. @ OP, do you use the correct bib size and saddle width for your sit bones? Try to pull the chamois (by pulling the bibs from the hips upwards) as far as close to you possible so there are no empty spots so that it becomes one with you basically.

Ivan

by Ivan

Thanks for all recommendations.
Bike geometry is indeed not exactly as on road. When buying my new tacx neo I've played with the heigth of the front wheel support but never really felt a major difference. Then again, I did not "scientfically" compare different heights, just went by feel. Maybe this is an option too.

I tried different brands of bibs but all of them are more or less same size. Some of them are more loose then other mostly because they are older and thus are more stretched. The ones I had laying around all caused the bruises. I am now using the ones that (to my opinion) cause the least amount of bruises (if that make sense).

I am up to the point that I am willing to pay $$ for an assos bib. I am reading reviews on assos bibs and the onyl real downside they say is the price.

zefs

by zefs

Might also be worth looking at a saddle with more padding just for trainer use, along with a lower saddle height.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Ivan wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:49 pm
Thanks for all recommendations.
Bike geometry is indeed not exactly as on road. When buying my new tacx neo I've played with the heigth of the front wheel support but never really felt a major difference. Then again, I did not "scientfically" compare different heights, just went by feel. Maybe this is an option too.
Yeah but if the front wheel is lower you'll be effectively lowering your bars and putting more weight on the front of your saddle. Try putting something under your front tire support to lift the front end a few CM and give it a few rides.

You also don't change position much on the trainer. Maybe it's a good idea to swap between two different types of bibs to move the pressure points around.

Ivan

by Ivan

zefs wrote:Might also be worth looking at a saddle with more padding just for trainer use, along with a lower saddle height.
I am using a brooks leather saddle and actually, my sitbones are just fine. Even after 4 hr on the trainer they don't hurt at all. It really is one specific spot on my right buttock/leg.

I have the impression that my front wheels is now even a bit higher than on the road.

I try to get out of the saddle for a few moments every 10 minutes. It helps.

zefs

by zefs

Is it a standard, 175mm wide? If so could be too wide for you. Have you measured your sit bones?

simoncx

by simoncx

I had a similar problem with shorts this year where I would get a bruise on my right side about 1 cm higher then the edge of the chamois. After checking position and going over everthing I found the chamois on one of my bibs came apart from the inside just enough to cause a pinch effect. The shorts almost new and it was hard to spot but it was just enough to cause problems, stopped using those bibs and the problem went away.

AJS914

by AJS914

Ivan wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:05 pm
I am using a brooks leather saddle and actually, my sitbones are just fine. Even after 4 hr on the trainer they don't hurt at all. It really is one specific spot on my right buttock/leg.
You sit on the trainer for 4 hours? Wow!

I have all sorts of little discomforts that I don't get out on the road.

One thing that has helped is using my riser block on the tallest setting. Since there is no aerodynamic need to get low this seems to allow me to sit more upright and be more comfortable.

The best thing for me is to just keep the trainer sessions short and to the point.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com