Haut Route

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wintershade

by wintershade

I'm looking to hear from people who have completed Haut Route events, as middle-of-the-pack finisher types. What's the vibe of these events? How does it compare to a large, well-run fondo like Phil's / Levi's, etc.? How well managed are logistics, transporation, etc? How much car traffic is there on routes? Are people working pretty hard in packs or just puttering along solo or with 1-2 friends. How far behind is support car? For those who have done multiple events, especially the 3-day vs 7-day would be curious to get your thoughts.

I'm thinking of doing Alps in the next year or so as part of my build up toward a 2020 or 2021 Ultraman (a 3-day triple-distance Ironman). Cost is not an issue, but taking a week of precious vacation time away from wife/son is a big sacrifce. Trying to figure out if it's worth it.

I'll most likley just do the San Francisco 3-day since it's local, to test it out before Alps, but I can't imagine a 3 day event on routes that I frequent on a normal basis will hold a candle to bucket-list type routes. I've never ridden in Europe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I asked all these questions of a buddy who did the event so my info is second hand. His response was that the event was extremely well done in all regards. I was particularely interested in how he faired because he is not is any way a strong rider - really quite weak. He had a very positive experience and was well treated and supported despite what I presume was a week on the front bumper of the broom wagon.

It's nice that you live in California. IMO the best place in North America to be a serious road cyclist. But until you get to the mountains in Europe, and I mean just about anywhere - France, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Austria, etc. - you just can't appreciate how fantastic it is. Go ride in Europe!
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

kode54

by kode54

A fellow rider did the Haut Route this year. He said it was spectacular in scenery...support was also fabulous. He couldn't stop talking about it. I would consider either disc brakes or alloy wheels for the decents. He said the decents were long and although he didn't feel like he was riding his brakes going down...he hit speeds he has never hit before.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

AlphaDogCycling

by AlphaDogCycling

WinterShade,

I've done two Haute Route's so far - 2017 Haute Route Rockies & 2018 Haute Route San Francisco - plus I'm a 2018 Haute Route ambassador, and will be a 2019 Elite Ambassador. Like you, I was a middle of the pack finisher for both.

Overall, Haute Route does a great job of the basics: organization, staging, mobile support, rest stops, etc. The big difference between Haute Route and just a Gran Fondo / Century is the multi-day nature, which besides significantly increasing the difficulty, leads to folks being more serious cyclists. But not a***holes. All of the people I met / rode with where really nice, and could ride a paceline, which made stages much more enjoyable than I've found Gran Fondos / Centuries.

If you have more specific questions, let me know. If you are going to do one, PM me early in 2019, as I'm waiting for my 2019 ambassador code, which is a 10% discount. Also, I'm in San Francisco, and will be leading Haute Route training rides in 2019, so be on the lookout for those.

Cheers

wintershade

by wintershade

Thanks AlphaDog. Please PM me know when you get your ambassador code. Maybe I'll do SF this year to feel things out before commiting to a weeklong version.

kode54

by kode54

AlphaDogCycling wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:52 pm
The big difference between Haute Route and just a Gran Fondo / Century is the multi-day nature, which besides significantly increasing the difficulty, leads to folks being more serious cyclists. But not a***holes. All of the people I met / rode with where really nice, and could ride a paceline, which made stages much more enjoyable than I've found Gran Fondos / Centuries.
i find that with most difficult rides...like the 150 mile B2VT ride which starts in MA and ends in VT. I only did one Gran Fondo and found that to be true with the quality of riders. You get everyone and anyone. The Haute Route sounds great and I didn't know they started to have them in the US.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

AlphaDogCycling

by AlphaDogCycling

@kode54,

If you are interested, there is an East Coast Haute Route in Asheville, NC

Haute Route Ambassador- ask me how to have one of the greatest experiences of your life

biwa

by biwa

How much training is required for completing a 3-day event? Also thinking to participate in some European events this year. Thanks.

kode54

by kode54

AlphaDogCycling wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:59 pm
@kode54,

If you are interested, there is an East Coast Haute Route in Asheville, NC

Haute Route Ambassador- ask me how to have one of the greatest experiences of your life
good to know. i suppose its global like the Gran Fondos. they pop up everywhere there are hills. i'll check it out. thx.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com