How seriously do you take 'form' on Strava or TrainingPeaks if doing traditional base?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shrike

by Shrike

Usually I watch it and take a decent amount of rest when it gets too low. Sometimes I intentionally drag it unto the dirt then take longer breaks. I actually find Form on Strava & the equivalent on TrainingPeaks to be quite accurate in terms of how I'm feeling, but that's usually with higher intensity training. If form gets low, it's hard to finish a VO2 or hard threshold interval.

If you're doing predominantly endurance training, does it work differently? Different type of stress is being done, so maybe watching form isn't as necessary? Maybe it's even good for your endurance to keep riding when legs are tired. Heart is fine, right?

I'll usually go as low as -40ish then rest up, wondering if it's okay to go much lower if I'm doing endurance rides. Looking for some comparison with other riders here. Maybe I'm being too cautious :P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mcfarton

by mcfarton

The one on Strava I find to be a joke. It starts every week on Monday, so if I had a hard 200 mile weekend it doesn’t count. So I never pay the total number on Strava any attention.

The only other program I use is Xert. If I have been on a regular training plan it is really close on my form. But things like work, sleep, diet are all not accounted for. I recently had PRK surgery and was off the bike for a week. I got back on last Friday and have had four good workouts every day since. I feel that I am ready for a day off, but my total stress score is just above zero based on how much time I spend on the bike historically.

I have a toddler and an infant so I don’t have time to train for endurance lol. I ride with a successful tri athlete and he manages his rides much better than me. So I don’t know about endurance lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jefftillack

by jefftillack

I use Training Peaks (and also Polar Flow for running) and find the graphs to best method to keep on eye on my fitness. The fatigue line (and form to an extent) I find to be very accurate with how I'm feeling (Polar Flow is not as detailed but it gives me a good indication of how many days to take off etc). Once my fatigue gets up to about 90-100 I take a few days off and then find once it goes down to about 20-30 I can hammer out a good ride (or run) and still feel great at the end. I haven't "paid up" for Strava for ages now and never really believed the "form" scores etc, so couldn't justify the outlay.

robertbb

by robertbb

Everyone's body will behave/respond differently when ATL, CTL and TSB are at given numbers. The key with these is to pay attention and see what works for *you*. They are not silver bullets by themselves - how you feel is an important 4th metric.

Just as heart rate is an important metric even if using a power meter...

You look at *all* the data in front of you and ultimately you determine if you're on a good day or a shit one :)