Weightlifting question

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

mattr wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:41 pm
Just noticed the OP is doing 6 or 7 sessions a week :shock:

You'll need a couple of years to work up to that, no job to go to and probably 12 hours complete rest a day. i.e. flat on your back either asleep or doing nothing but reading/surfing.

4 or 5 sessions (including one "active recovery") would be more than enough for someone with a proper job to go to.
Uh oh. Think I've been doing too much. I have Friels "Fast After Fifty" as I am also 52. Read it four years ago. Think I need to dust it off.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

robertbb

by robertbb

Have already responded earlier RE: diet but thought I would add: get a power meter if you don't have one and learn how to read and manage your Fatigue and Form, vis-a-vis Fitness. You'll learn what ramp rate works for you, and how much fatigue you can hold for a given block of training.

Shameless plug: try my spreadsheet (see signature). It does everything the paid-for sites do, for free.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Thanks RobertBB!

boots2000

by boots2000

So you are over 50?
You need the strength work as much or more than you need the cycling.
Eat more, eat better, sleep more- also experiment with your weight days and cyclng days.
You may find that you do better combining those days so that you have more recovery in between.

What are the specifics of your gym day?

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

boots2000 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:58 pm
So you are over 50?
You need the strength work as much or more than you need the cycling.
Eat more, eat better, sleep more- also experiment with your weight days and cyclng days.
You may find that you do better combining those days so that you have more recovery in between.

What are the specifics of your gym day?
Just easy stuff in the living room of my house, but was doing a pretty ridiculous amount of reps by the end. 10 lb dumbbells........seated isolated curls......80 reps each arm........single arm military press......60 reps, try to do push-ups but have recently had collarbone fixation surgery and they are uncomfortable to do for me, but can squeeze out about 30. Then 80 wrist curls each arm. Two sets of 50 old fashioned military sit-ups.......about 1/3 of them with rotating/twisting. Was doing this every other day regardless of cycling schedule.

To update and thank everyone, I haven't done weights in four days and am already feeling better on the bike.

robertbb

by robertbb

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I've spent significant time under a barbell playing Aussie rules football in Uni days. I'd scrap the isolation exercises entirely - no curls, no single arm press, no situps... waste of time.

Find a gym that has Olympic lifting equipment, or if you have a few hunred $ to invest, pick up an Olympic bar and 2x each of 5kg, 10kg plates. Also get a set of fractional plates (which in include: 0.25kg, 0.5kg, 1kg and 2.5kg).

This will give you all balanced combinations of weights from 20kg in 0.5kg increments all the way up to 50kg.

Do the following compound exercises only:

Deadlift
Squat
Overhead press
Bench Press

You might want to get a chinup bar for a pulling exercise..

These will work your entire body in proportion, including developing a strong core. Feel free to PM me if you want some guidance on how to structure reps, sets and weights for manageable progression. You only need to do it twice a week *if* you do it properly.

liam7020

by liam7020

Good plan Stan! To the OP - old style sit-ups, don't go there.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

bw987

by bw987

Your low weight high rep routine is only activating slower twitch muscle fiber and weakening your fast twitch power muscle fibers.

The key for cyclists is to gain strength without gaining size. You are not stressing the muscle enough to improve maximum strength and power of your fast twitch muscles.

There is a place for your type of training under the anatomical adaptation phase of lifting weights. But at some time you need to work on maximizing strength. And yes it can be done with as little as 2 w/o a week in the gym.