2018 Wahoo Kickr or 2018 Tacx Neo?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ms6073

by ms6073

TonyM wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:46 pm
Go for the Kickr if you want to use the Kickr climb indoor grade simulator.
Still not understanding the appeal of the Kickr climb indoor grade simulator as my understanding is it is manually operated and does not interface with any of the popular training apps such as Road Grand Tours, Trainer Road, or Zwift.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

kytyree

by kytyree

The climb doesn’t appeal to me either but I think the new 2018 kickr is silent as well.

Which one would be easier to get customer service for where you live?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bilwit

by bilwit

I'd get the KICKR 2017 used tbh.. these things are going at an absolute STEAL on eBay, craigslist, etc. If you have a decent fan in front of you then the slight hum of the last gen KICKR isn't a big deal at all anyway.

Priit

by Priit

Why not consider Elite Drivo II? The most accurate and reliable optical powermeter 0.5%, Campagnolo freehub option available, silent, big flywheel with two belt system ensures very good road feel and no slips on low rpm.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Went with the 2018 Kickr. Great bit of kit but swear it reads lol (or I'm just very out of shape)...

It's pretty much silent, even on timber floorboards. Loudest thing is my breathing and the bikes drivechain.

One thing I really like about the Kickr is that it can stay attached to the bike, fold the legs in, and it takes up naff all space. Easy to move around with the handle. Solid bit of kit.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

wintershade

by wintershade

I had a Kickr 2017. Sold it because I wanted the ability to use Campy 12-speed cassettes.

Bought a Neo. It broke after 6 months of not particularly hard riding only 2-3x week. Starting making a grinding sound, apparently a magnet broke lose. I also found all the extra plastic of the bulky-ass star wars shaped device to be dman near impossible to mount my TT bike (Speedmax SLX) which has tight stays and horizantal drops. I sent it back to Bike Tires Direct who gave me a store credit (great guy, great service).

Bought a Kickr 2018. It's just as silent as the Neo. Smaller. More portable. I like it much better. You can't use Campy cassettes, but that's alright. I decided the 12 speed bike will be outdoors only and most of my bikes are 11 speed anyhow. The first Kickr 2018 did break after about 2 weeks -- starting making a weird noise. Wahoo sent me a replacement no questions asked. I'd still get the Wahoo. I also kind of prefer the feel of the flywheel to the simulated magnet flywheel.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

wintershade wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:55 pm
I also kind of prefer the feel of the flywheel to the simulated magnet flywheel.
Thanks for sharing your experience. It's something I've heard more often, I think GP Lama says the the same but I am not entirely sure.

I wonder how the Flux 2 (which has a flywheel) feels in comparison to the Neo. And I wonder even more why companies like Wahoo or Cycleops don't offer Campagnolo bodies for their trainers. It seems like a small effort with potentially large positive consequences, but I'm probably wrong.

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

Sjoerd wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:42 am
wintershade wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:55 pm
I also kind of prefer the feel of the flywheel to the simulated magnet flywheel.
Thanks for sharing your experience. It's something I've heard more often, I think GP Lama says the the same but I am not entirely sure.

I wonder how the Flux 2 (which has a flywheel) feels in comparison to the Neo. And I wonder even more why companies like Wahoo or Cycleops don't offer Campagnolo bodies for their trainers. It seems like a small effort with potentially large positive consequences, but I'm probably wrong.
I had a Flux 1 before my Neo and I prefer how the Flux felt with the flywheel, rather than the virtual flywheel.
It certainly made it feel a bit more realistic, so I would assume the Flux 2 will feel about the same.

The one good thing about the virtual flywheel is that you can do very small power intervals (For cool down etc).

Ivan

by Ivan

I have a Tacx Neo since a few weeks. Cannot comment on long term durability, only like 6 or 7 workouts on it with the longest being 4h. For now I can onyl say it works very good. The road feel might not be too realistic but that does not bother me. It is silent and that was important to me, the loudest things BY FAR are the chain and the cooling fan. The trainer is not really fixed, it allows for side to side movement and that is very realistic when doing sprints. It allows for movement but the trainer itself remains solid on the floor.
He ride a bike instead of a car I wanna be his friend
Golden Earring - Going to the run

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The Neo has one major failing. It does not have native thru-axle support. Instead it uses two sleeves inserted into your disc frame’s dropouts and a quick release skewer. This concerns me because that means the threads on your DS dropout are sitting on a sleeve. With proper QR clamping force, this might not be an issue, but if things get loose you really risk blunting/damaging the threads.

The KICKR 2018 is actually quieter than the Neo and doesn’t have that electronic hum to it.

The Neo’s main advantages now are how it doesn’t require calibration and it’s ability to operate without being plugged in. The frame flex may also benefit some users.

The KICKR has a better road feel, hardware level power matching, real TA support, and it’s cheaper.

Both products, including their latest incarnations have quality control issues. The Neo might have some clearance issues still with certain bike frames and derailleur cages. The KICKR has the best frame compatibility on the market.

If road feel is the biggest concern, the CycleOps H2 would be the trainer to get.

sychen

by sychen

Apparently the 2019 Neo fixes the thruaxle support issue.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

sychen wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:35 am

It does not. It simply comes with the existing adapter in the box. The adapter is a half-assed set of sleeves and a longer quick-release skewer.

sychen

by sychen

Apparently that's their "fix".
Lol happy to have my 2018 kickr.. It's great.
TobinHatesYou wrote:
sychen wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:35 am

It does not. It simply comes with the existing adapter in the box. The adapter is a half-assed set of sleeves and a longer quick-release skewer.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Owned a Neo since the day it came out and never an issue.. Im on the TDA beta test team and have abused mine on all the alpine video climbs at full resistance and it hasn't failed... very accurate as well..

madik

by madik

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:26 am
The Neo has one major failing. It does not have native thru-axle support. Instead it uses two sleeves inserted into your disc frame’s dropouts and a quick release skewer. This concerns me because that means the threads on your DS dropout are sitting on a sleeve. With proper QR clamping force, this might not be an issue, but if things get loose you really risk blunting/damaging the threads.
So they really didnt change it in the newest Neo model? Thats really retarded on their part.. you are right, the thread inside of dropout is getting damaged. All your weight is going thru the contact between the sleeve and thread...
Luckily I havent had a problem with it yet. Also the same sleeve on drive side is sitting on the outside of the frame's dropout which is no longer designed to by pressed by qiuck realease and it can be damaging derrailer hanger or chipping paint on some frames. And lastly its very inconvenient to use the quikc release adapter since you have to fully srew/unsrew the nut every time you are putting or taking a bike out of Neo. The most expensive trainer on the market with the shittest thru axle support system. :roll:

I think with Elite's trainers you can just use your own thru axle. Genious and so easy..
Functionality > Performance > Weight

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com