2018 Wahoo Kickr or 2018 Tacx Neo?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Looking to buy one of these for my winter training, upgrading from my Kickr Snap.

Which would you go for and why?

Cheers!
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

sychen

by sychen

Just did the same but only for the back half of my winter. Waited for the 2018 Kickr and got that instead of the Tacx Neo smart.

For me I have a disc bike and it's got all that's needed to start out of the box without buying more parts. Comes with thruaxle kit and cassette. Neo you have to get both separately. Neo thruaxle kit also more fiddly to set up like it was an after thought. Kickr is nice and simple.. Just well thought out and up to date.

Neo is slightly nicer to ride but annoying to move and store due to the nature of the design. For me it was simple as noise level is about the same.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Another option- Cyclops Hammer.
new models just announced, so should be some good deals about on older stock.
Official cafe stop tester

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

I've got a Neo 2018 but given the choice I would have probably gone for the Kickr.
The intergration with the climb and headwind would be good and having an actual flywheel instead of none would make the lower cadence higher torque efforts be more natural (the Neo suffers from "trainer slip" when it's used for that)

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I've ordered in the new Kickr 2018 model... Should be in the shop on Wednesday.

Speaking to a few cycling friends, they said the Neo is great but the road feel option actually makes the unit rather loud.

I live in a terraced house so have neighbours either side, and a quiet trainer is of high importance.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ryanw wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:40 pm
I've ordered in the new Kickr 2018 model... Should be in the shop on Wednesday.

Speaking to a few cycling friends, they said the Neo is great but the road feel option actually makes the unit rather loud.

I live in a terraced house so have neighbours either side, and a quiet trainer is of high importance.

road feel can be turned off you know.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

rawjunk

by rawjunk

Is there a reason to choose Kickr 2018 over Kickr Core?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

rawjunk wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:03 pm
Not being a dick, but I can put down more power than the Core can measaure (1,800w).

Also the Kickr can be folded up smaller than the core and I can hide it easier from the Mrs...

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

Dannnnn wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:24 pm
I've got a Neo 2018 but given the choice I would have probably gone for the Kickr.
The intergration with the climb and headwind would be good and having an actual flywheel instead of none would make the lower cadence higher torque efforts be more natural (the Neo suffers from "trainer slip" when it's used for that)
I was also debating the choice between Kickr and Neo, until I found out I don't have an option. I ride Campa so it will be a Neo. But the thing you address concerns me. At what kind of power does this problem arise? I doubt my FTP is more than 250 watts, but I do want to use the Neo for climbing simulations. Will I encounter any problems in this regard?

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

Sjoerd wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:06 am
Dannnnn wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:24 pm
I was also debating the choice between Kickr and Neo, until I found out I don't have an option. I ride Campa so it will be a Neo. But the thing you address concerns me. At what kind of power does this problem arise? I doubt my FTP is more than 250 watts, but I do want to use the Neo for climbing simulations. Will I encounter any problems in this regard?
It's generally when you are less than 60rpm and at high gradient applications.
I couldn't guess what the wattages are though. If you are a spinner more than grinder you won't feel it as it's all linked to the "flywheel" speed.

My FTP is about that too and I very rarely feel it, it's just a minor point but something to consider.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I read quite a bit about this, and being an 85kg sprinter, not ideal for me.

No good news on the Kickr, supplier now saying 2-3 days....

moyboy

by moyboy

So i've owned both the Neo and 2018 Kickr.

I have sold the Neo and am using the 2018 kickr with the climb.
Reason being the disc brake caliper clearance is much bigger for the Kickr than the Neo

I have all disc brake bikes and the 2018 kickr accomidates them all without any axle adapters as you can use the thru axles from the bike on it.
Also the 2018 Kickr is quieter.

moyboy

by moyboy

Kickr 2018 vs Core 2018

Higher Resistance
Adjustable feet
Comes with a Cassette (Shimano 105 11-28)
Folds up nicer
rawjunk wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:03 pm

kytyree

by kytyree

As a Campy user the shifting over a shimano cassette when using a KICKR is good enough for me. I don't think I'd live with it on the road but unless you were really into racing on Zwift so that you were shifting more often I don't think it's that big of a deal.

If you're like me and ride the KICKR almost exclusively in erg mode you hardly ever shift. But I do also use my old bike...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Go for the Tacx Neo if you want to have a quiet silent smart trainer.

Go for the Kickr if you want to use the Kickr climb indoor grade simulator.