Campy SR12 compatibility with Smart Trainer

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

audioblazer

by audioblazer

Anybody has tested the compatibility of SR12 with smart trainer eg Wahoo Kickr? I have checked with Wahoo& they can’t confirm Wahoo Kickr compatibility with SR12 :roll:

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Kickr is only compatible with sram/shimano cassettes 10/11sp. I believe they have a free hub option for lower gears. They ARE NOT compatible with Campy at all, which is a mute point is you allow the trainer to (erg mode) to set/change the resistance = no shifting. 12 so Campy adds a new problem as the chain is thinner and I pressume narrower! So, I’d say not really!
Last edited by dgasmd on Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audioblazer

by audioblazer

I have been using Chorus SR11 with Kickr on Shimano 11s casette . No prob at all . Thanks

dgasmd

by dgasmd

audioblazer wrote:I have been using Chorus SR11 with Kickr on Shimano 11s casette . No prob at all . Thanks
Yes, I also use 10 sp and 11 sp Campy on 10 and 11 sp sram/shimano cassettes on mine, but as said before, I also rarely shift.

kode54

by kode54

i think you can get a Campy freehub for the Kickr.
dgasmd wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:42 pm
Kickr is only compatible with sram/shimano cassettes 10/11sp. I believe they have a free hub option for lower gears. They ARE NOT compatible with Campy at all, which is a mute point is you allow the trainer to (erg mode) to set/change the resistance = no shifting. 12 so Campy adds a new problem as the chain is thinner and I pressume narrower! So, I’d say not really!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

dgasmd

by dgasmd

kode54 wrote:i think you can get a Campy freehub for the Kickr.
That was only for the first generation. The current generation of Kickr DO NOT have an adaptor. I found out the hard way after ordering one. Not only are they no longer available, but they do not fit the current kickr

audioblazer

by audioblazer

Checked with Wahoo & is surprised that they couldn’t tell me about it’s compatibility

avispa

by avispa

audioblazer wrote:Posted this in training thread . Anybody has any idea whether SR12 is compatible with Wahoo Kickr trainer ? Any issue in using it with the trainer since we hardly do any shifting in trainer . Currently using Chorus on a Kickr with Shimano casette without any problem
I'm posting here in case you didn't see it on the Campy 12 thread:

If you are using a KICKR16 w the Campy freehub body, yes, it is compatible... remember the Campy 12 speed free hub is identical to those from 10 speed till current. Wahoo's Campy freehub is identical to Campy's on the shell, the difference is on its spline and how it connects to the "hub" of their trainer.

I am a Wahoo dealer and have requested numerous times to them to make a campy freehub for their newer trainers as we have lost sales due to the newer (KICKR17/18) not being compatible with any Campy, not just the 12... hopefully they will in the near future...
Last edited by avispa on Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

avispa

by avispa

dgasmd wrote:
kode54 wrote:i think you can get a Campy freehub for the Kickr.
That was only for the first generation. The current generation of Kickr DO NOT have an adaptor. I found out the hard way after ordering one. Not only are they no longer available, but they do not fit the current kickr
First AND second generations... that is KICKRs 2014 and 16.

With the KICKR 17 and 18 Wahoo came up with a totally reengineered trainer that could accept a number of wheel types and bikes (disc, tru-axle, standard quick release, etc.) and with the "climbing" capability. This last feature complicated things a bit further in terms of the design of a freehub body with a larger core (big hole for the axle) that would accommodate all that...

I was told that Wahoo is aware of the issue with Campy 12 and is looking into a resolution soon.... fingers XXX
Last edited by avispa on Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

audioblazer

by audioblazer

Thanks . U have given me a more detailed answer than Wahoo chat .

avispa

by avispa

audioblazer wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:18 pm
Your welcome! Long live the WW Forum! :mrgreen:

Just to clarify a bit on my previous post... The KICKR 17 and 18 are basically identical, with the exception that Wahoo made the flywheel larger and heavier so that it is smoother and quieter. But the rest of the trainer is the same.

If one is looking for a superbly quiet trainer, they surely hit the target this time around... All I hear when I train at any power on the KICKR18 is my gears!

Cheers!

dgasmd

by dgasmd

avispa wrote:
audioblazer wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:18 pm
Your welcome! Long live the WW Forum! :mrgreen:

Just to clarify a bit on my previous post... The KICKR 17 and 18 are basically identical, with the exception that Wahoo made the flywheel larger
You are very correct. I should have said “latest generation” rather than what I said.

Not sure why it was so hard for me to figure all this out too as I made several calls and had several conversations with wahoo before I got to the end answer. Even thought one of the guys I spoke with at wahoo uses campy and was the one that ultimately pointed me to a campy compatible cassette for shimano spline!!

avispa

by avispa

dgasmd wrote: Not sure why it was so hard for me to figure all this out too as I made several calls and had several conversations with wahoo before I got to the end answer. Even thought one of the guys I spoke with at wahoo uses campy and was the one that ultimately pointed me to a campy compatible cassette for shimano spline!!
I don't blame you.... but I sometimes find it preposterous that a company would sell you a $1200 piece of equipment and you have to make several calls to get an answer!
Even when I sell a $5 item I try to resolve my customers issues as quickly as possible and normally in one phone call... but that's another topic to discuss. Image

Remember, however, that the question from the OP was if Campy 12 worked with a Kickr. I am personally using a Shimano Ultegra 11 Speed cassette on my KICKR18 (because the SRAM cassette that came with the trainer was terrible), but I am using 11 sp Campy EPS. There is no way one could run a Campy 12 drive train on a 17/18 KICKR at the moment....

Wahoo insists that "the current setup runs well with Campy 11". But it is not optimal if you try to run anything larger than a 11-23 or sometimes crank it up really hard. When you have a Campy cassette on a Campy drive train, you know shifting is as precise as a missile strike no matter what you are doing. I do change gears a lot on the trainer because of the way I structure my workouts.

Perhaps Wahoo is waiting for Shimano to make a 12 speed cassette, then they'll sell the trainer with one and tell us that you can now use Campy 12.... or they are seriously working on a true Campy compatible cassette body for their newer trainers?

They are not telling us anything concrete... perhaps the guy you spoke at Wahoo that recommended the cassette, can tell us something... Image

Cheers and glad to help!
Last edited by avispa on Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

One of their last statements on the phone was “probably never going to happen that we make a campy version for it. Just not enough demand”.

I bought the trainer and adapter from
CC, but the adapter never came in. Several calls later to CC, they discovered why my adapter that later came in didn’t fit the trainer: was meant for the older versions. We both made several calls to wahoo and updated each other of the answers. Their consolation line was: “well, none of the other comparable direct trainers offer a campy solution either”!

If I had known these issues before I got the trainer home or bought it, I was have bought the Saris version. Was a bit cheaper and their customer support has been second to none for me over the years with the PT PM I’ve owned!

Live and learn!!

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Ive got an elite direto. Im very pleased with it. It took 2 mins to swap the freehub to Campagnolo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com