Of season training. Goal: stay relatively fit and improve posture

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

Any suggestions/ideas of what sport/sessions/activities to do during a 6-8 week winter break from cycling with the goals of
-remaining relatively fit (would need to include at least some portion of aerobic activity)
-improving posture. I have a computer job, and have a quite bad posture with rounded shoulders etc

joejack951

by joejack951

Sports: run. Can be easily done even in really cold/wet/snowy weather. Great aerobic workout. Cheap (you probably only need shoes. I wear the same tights for running as for cycling and sometimes even use cycling jerseys to run) Will make you want to stay lightweight if for no other reason than to save your knees :)
Posture improvement: I am interested in the feedback you receive on this. Mine needs work. Computer work and holding young kids has not helped my back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

853guy

by 853guy

Lightweenie wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:45 pm
Any suggestions/ideas of what sport/sessions/activities to do during a 6-8 week winter break from cycling with the goals of
-remaining relatively fit (would need to include at least some portion of aerobic activity)
-improving posture. I have a computer job, and have a quite bad posture with rounded shoulders etc
Hello Lightweenie,

As to:

(1) remaining relatively fit (would need to include at least some portion of aerobic activity)

For me, I've found swimming (great for breath control, no ligament/joint damage) and kettlebell swings (build posterior chain, high intensity) to be the most effective.

(2) improving posture. I have a computer job, and have a quite bad posture with rounded shoulders etc

I've found kettlebell swings, yoga/pilates, sleeping on my back with no pillow under my head but shifted instead under my knees and pull ups/chin ups to be the most effective.

These suggestions made with no claims of their efficacy for you (or anyone else), only their efficacy for me.

Best of luck,

853guy

eforce123

by eforce123

p90X is a good one. youtube it

AJS914

by AJS914

Last winter I did slow base miles when I could get out between snow melts (around 35F) and I joined the YMCA and did some swimming and circuit training using the exercises out lined in Joe Friel's book (The Cyclist's Training Bible). I felt great this spring after a winter of that. I also cross country skiied when I was able to.
Google "upper crossed syndrome" and "lower crossed syndrome". The concept is that of muscle imbalance. Working on a computer all day can result in shorted hip flexors and deactivated glutes. Coupled with cycling which can over-develop the quads you can end up with a muscle imbalance.

For decades I've always had a dull back ache after a big ride with lots of climbing and then a few years ago I came down with sciatica that lasted a full year. After I stumbled on to the concept of these muscle imbalances and did a few corresponding stretches and exercises all of my back and sciatica issues were 100% cured.

Alumen

by Alumen

CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

dominikk

by dominikk

Alumen wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:05 am
Fun to do and very effective...

https://darebee.com/programs/30-days-of-hiit.html
Like! :thumbup:
Riding Paniagua - The Future of cycling!

kytyree

by kytyree

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:47 pm
Working on a computer all day can result in shorted hip flexors and deactivated glutes. Coupled with cycling which can over-develop the quads you can end up with a muscle imbalance.
I learned this lesson the hard way. I have no choice but to sit for most of my work and following that with a bunch of cycling is not the greatest combo over time. That eventually caught up with me and while it was nothing too serious it had to be corrected if I was going to keep riding.

I try and stretch at least once a day, I don't go to yoga classes but I do a few different poses at least once a week.

The KB swing along with band pull aparts, band face pulls with a flexible band help me feel a lot better. Even one short run a week, or walking plenty helps me balance out the sitting and front side dominant exercise. I go to the pool once in awhile as well and swim laps, primarily the breast stroke, as I think it does more for my upper back, but swimming always seems to make me feel better.

Also while a more advandced exercise, the Glute Ham Raise is an excellent exercise to work up to. Once you get to where you can do a few of these with your bodyweight they'll do wonders for the health of your posterior. If they're difficult at first use an elastic band to make them easier then work up to unassisted. The raise can be done without much equipment just using the floor and a way to anchor your feet but the Glute Ham Developer is the best. The GHD also has the advantage of being able to follow the GHR with a situp on the same device. Of course this is good for the core but also because the position of your legs allows you to get full extension of the quads and hip flexors which helps counter all the sitting and lack of full leg extension.

osw000

by osw000

I found Wharton's Strentgh Training book has a nice routine for cycling off-season training. It gives you the basics for building a training circuit focusing on different muscle groups and correcting imbalances. Only using ankle weights and some dumbbells.

Then keeping the legs spinning at the indoor trainer between 60-70% maxHR and making stretching exercises.

This should do the mantainance for a non-competive cyclist with a "sitting all day" job like me for 8 weeks before going to a more intensive training.

Personally, being ectomorph body type and with short tight muscles, I loose flexibility and muscle mass very easily in winter if I don't stay active this way.

Enviado desde mi SM-J530F mediante Tapatalk

IsabelleFoissard

by IsabelleFoissard

As I live near the French Alps, what I do, after the summer sports season like cycling, is trekking and skiing. It keeps me fit. In addition I am also fond of yoga.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com