first race

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Timmy269

by Timmy269

Hello, saturday I have my first road race. The race is 40km and it starts at 6 o'clock in the evening.

What do I have to dot this week, training? Is it good to have a ride on wednesday in group at 37km/h and 65km?

What should I eat before the race and at wich hour?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Last week you don't do anything intense, easy spinning and throw in a few 10s sprints. You need fresh legs at the race. 2 days before you don't ride at all. Your heavy training should be done before the last week. I guess if you are a young guy you can go a bit later but us old guys (35 myself) need adequate recovery time.

2h before the race (not later than 2h) you eat a shitload of slow carbs mixed with a little of medium speed carbs. Noodles are good.

A 40k race will be over in about one hour. So to prepare think 1h efforts. Anything over that is overdepleting you or pacing you too slow.

2-3 gels and one bottle of some kind of energy drink should be enough.

/a

themidge

by themidge

alcatraz wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:39 am
Your heavy training should be done before the last week.
Definitely this, you don't want to race (or even ride really hard in training) on fatigued legs.
alcatraz wrote:You need fresh legs at the race. 2 days before you don't ride at all.
I agree about being fresh, but I'm not sure about not riding at all. I don't race (so take this with a pinch of salt), but from my experience of going on group rides and totally smashing myself, I prefer to have done an easy spin or two (like 2hrs max) the day before, just to keep the legs turning over. Personal preference though innit.

Timmy269

by Timmy269

I'm 41 years. A friend told me that the fast ride on wednesday would be good to feel the speed in the legs but it's not necessary.
He suggested to eat spaghetti with apple compote 3 hours before the race.
Any other suggestions what to eat 2-3 hours before the race and do I have to eat something an hour before the race?

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

When i raced friday was a restday, saturday i did an easy spin with some high cadence sprints and then sunday was raceday.
About the groupride, it all depends at what intensity you can do it. I'd prefer not go above my SweetSpot zone, if you still have 2 days to recover that shouldnt be a problem.

Timmy269

by Timmy269

The wednesday rides past weeks had IF 0,986 and TSS 145. That rides I did also a couple times of few kms head of the group.

eforce123

by eforce123

alcatraz wrote:
Last week you don't do anything intense, easy spinning and throw in a few 10s sprints. You need fresh legs at the race. 2 days before you don't ride at all. Your heavy training should be done before the last week. I guess if you are a young guy you can go a bit later but us old guys (35 myself) need adequate recovery time.

2h before the race (not later than 2h) you eat a shitload of slow carbs mixed with a little of medium speed carbs. Noodles are good.

A 40k race will be over in about one hour. So to prepare think 1h efforts. Anything over that is overdepleting you or pacing you too slow.

/a
Not to get off topic but should this be a gauge/goal for me. Finish 25 miles in under an hour? that's 24.5 mph/39.5KMH

eforce123

by eforce123

1. Good night's sleep
2. Carb up during the day but nothing crazy so your not bloated up
3. Rest however many days before so you feel fresh

alcatraz

by alcatraz

eforce123 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:36 pm
alcatraz wrote:

/a
Not to get off topic but should this be a gauge/goal for me. Finish 25 miles in under an hour? that's 24.5 mph/39.5KMH
You'd be surprised how much faster you can go surrounded by an active peloton. You can't compare that with solo riding stats.

eforce123

by eforce123

alcatraz wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:25 pm
eforce123 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:36 pm
alcatraz wrote:

/a
You'd be surprised how much faster you can go surrounded by an active peloton. You can't compare that with solo riding stats.
I wouldn't know at all. Anything I should shoot for on solo rides. I do some group rides but we are all beginners (under a year cycling) so I am always the leader.

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

40 km is not a very long race, don't over complicate things. Any riding the last 2 days before the race should be moderate to low efforts. I don’t really think there is ANY need to carb load for such a short race. Just relax and have some fun! If it’s your first race try and stay relaxed and learn from the more experienced racers. Don't be afraid to let people know it’s your first race; a few small pointers can go a long way (NEVER half wheel in a group). :-)
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

jobvisser

by jobvisser

Just enjoy your race, try to stay in front (5th-10th wheel) so you don't spend too much energy accelerating out of corners and have a lesser chance of crashing.
I always take 2 easy days before a race, one without any riding or very easy and the second day i ride for 90 minutes in z2 with some openers .
alcatraz wrote:
/a
One bottle of energy should be sufficient for a 40k race, if you fuel properly before the race...
---> :oops: Send me a pm to order world's lightest low carbon fiber dust covers! (1g) :oops: <---

Timmy269

by Timmy269

what about the warmin up before the race. Do I have to ride on cadance, go onte time full, .....

jorryt

by jorryt

I'm sorry to say this but is also really personal. I need a long warm-up with some intensive parts but a mate of mine just takes a easy 20min spin.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I wouldn't over think it. Most likely you will get spit out the back on your first race unless you have an engine like Greg Lemond in which case you can go off the front and lap the field. :-)

Just take it all in and learn.