cadence conspiracy

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

betwo

by betwo

There are many styles of climbing, some with cadence, others with force but climbing to 90 RPM is a challenge, at least for me

rlpaul

by rlpaul

Depends what you call high cadence.

I think 20+ years ago, 90 RPM would have been considered high cadence, but then 50-70 was more common. If you're saying 85-90 is not high cadence, and people are talking about 70 as being 'normal'... maybe the goalposts have moved at some point?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

quadzilla

by quadzilla

Honestly i think people should just ride what there comfortable at. This morning I rode a 12 mile tt and my average cadence was 108rpm. I think a lot of people have never tried spinning. additionally I only spin that fast if I am at or above threshold. On normal cruisy ride ill do an average cadence of ~70 rpm and on the climbs keep it t around 80 rpm.

boots2000

by boots2000

Climbing cadence comes down to multiple factors.
1.) Your preferred cadence- some are not wired for high cadence. Some are not wired for low cadence.
2.) The cadence that you train at- cadence is somewhat trainable.
3.) Length and grade of climbs.
4.) Bike setup- weight tires, and available gearing.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

I remember 1 case on Ventoux when he attacked in the saddle at very high cadence. I thought at the time that it might be because he did not want to risk a front shift at a critical time when he knew that after 30sec-1min he would be back in the little ring. IIRC (I've not ridden them) Osymmetrics are more prone to chain drops.