direct drive trainer advice

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Im looking for a direct drive trainer. I simply want a fairly accurate power meter and speed. Not interested in all zwift and wattopia stuff as i watch tv when i train. Recommendations?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

You're looking at the 3 main players; tackx neo, kickr or cyclops hammer.
Not much between them, all have plusses and minuses.
Hammer maybe a little cheaper; i got mine for £750 from Sigmasports.

Bear in mind, i dont think any support a campag option anymore, but if you're on 11spd its happy running on a shimano cassette.

GPlama's youtube etc is a good place to look for proper in use reviews.
Official cafe stop tester

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Hammer is 753€ at the moment on Sigmasports.
I got myself a Direto.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Thanks everyone -Im Campag 10 sp which makes it more tricky. Simplest answer looks like an ambrosio shimano spaced campag 10 speed cassette. If I can source 2 Im keen on the cycleops hammer as deals seem great.

mcfarton

by mcfarton

Wahoo had 1st gen remans on their website for around 600 shipped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

I use the NEO and watch TV also. I create/run the programs from the free TACX App on my Ipad.

ms6073

by ms6073

jekyll man wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:44 am
You're looking at the 3 main players; tackx neo, kickr or cyclops hammer.
If budget is a big factor, then the Tacx Flux might be a good choice as well.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

rawjunk

by rawjunk

^^I think Flux 2 wast just announced. I think smart trainer would be good choice for your purposes, altough expensive. The new Kickr Core seems tough to beat. Elite Direto has accurate power and is somewhat reasonably priced.

Priit

by Priit

Kickr 2017 and 2018 models don't work with Campagnolo cassettes and Wahoo dosen't sell Campagnolo freehub body for these models. Better look for Elite Drivo 2 - Elite sells Campy freehub body and it has the best and most exact powermeter inside (+/-1% for 2017 model and +/- 0.5% for 2018 model).
Last edited by Priit on Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TonyM

by TonyM

Taxc Neo (freehub) works with both Shimano and Campa cassettes.

ms6073

by ms6073

Actually for 2018, Tacx moved away from the Edco Multuisys freehubs and now both the Neo and Flux are ordered with campy or shimano specific freehubs and include thru-axle adapters which were previosly extra.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

rainerhq

by rainerhq

I almost bought Flux, but then saw that distance between wheel axle and trainers feet is 200mm. My roadbike with long cage RD extends to 210mm. So I went with the Direto. It has 240-250mm free space there.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

rainerhq wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:16 am
I almost bought Flux, but then saw that distance between wheel axle and trainers feet is 200mm. My roadbike with long cage RD extends to 210mm. So I went with the Direto. It has 240-250mm free space there.
The flux specifically states in the manual that it can't be used with a long cage too

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I got a kickr. None of the direct drive have a campy adaptor to use campy cassettes. I used a campy Record 10 so bike on mine with a sram 10 so cassette. Since the direct drive trainer when used with aoftware changes resistance for you, shifting or crappy shifting is not an issue at all. I would have gone with the Cycleops if I had knows about the lack of campy adaptor, which the kickr at the time advertised falsely as having!!!

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Thanks for all the solid advice. I'm leaning towards the Elite Direto. Campag freehub possible and seems to be reliable. I still feel like I am paying for all the interactive stuff that I won't ise really. Is an alternative an elite muin and then get powermeter pedals like favero?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com