Kickr fan

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

TonyM

by TonyM

Thanks for the feedback!

For me the setup is usually "quiet" home trainer (Tacx Neo) and quiet fan (Rowenta) when I watch youtube etc... on TV with the external speakers.
I however also do some training session with earphones - in that case a more noisy fan would be ok.

In both case I prefer to be 100% in control of the speed of the fan.
I do however like that Kickr is trying to "improve" the fans...Not for me but that may lead to some innovation one day.

wingguy

by wingguy

TonyM wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:57 am
Jokes aside, how is the noise level?
(I use at the moment a Rowenta fan because it is supposed to be one of the quietest in the market)
I had an almost identical fan to Cal's set up in front of our fit bike for a while and it worked great but damn it's loud. If the Wahoo fan can put out enough airflow and be much quieter that would be worth at least some of the price difference.

Also, I'd say it's no accident this came out at the same time as the Kickr Core. OK the fan is expensive at £200, but now you can get the Kickr Core and the fan for £900 total when just the Kickr (with the same resistance unit) on it's own cost £1000 up until now. Makes the salesman's job a heck of a lot easier, eh?

Plus I feel like everyone is missing the most important point, which is that it looks just like the CASE/TARS robots from Interstellar. And that's cool. :P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bilwit

by bilwit

Calnago wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:51 am
TonyM wrote: Jokes aside, how is the noise level?
(I use at the moment a Rowenta fan because it is supposed to be one of the quietest in the market)
What’s that again? I lost my hearing long ago.

Ok, both the trainer and the fan are noisy for sure. But I’m not in an apartment and truth is, I rarely use the trainer. I had it set up there when I was recovering from my crash last year (that’s when I bought the Kickr stand which is awesome, but then needed a fan big time so eventually set up the system you see there. It works really well. I hear the latest Kickr is very quiet, like Library quiet. But you still need a fan, so that may be the limiter. I like this one because it covers a wide area and you’re completely surrounded by a cooling wind. I just can’t see how that little directional fan could compete. And tied into heart rate and/or power etc... please... gimmicky... I’d rather just be able to control the speed of the fan with a little remote as to when and how much I wanted at any given point in time.
Exactly this. Doesn't really matter how quiet the trainer is if your fan is louder. The change in air flow based on metrics sounds pretty silly to me. There's never really a time I feel like I need less airflow just because I'm spinning 80 watts in between intervals.. I do appreciate how narrow it is and could definitely appreciate if it's pretty quiet but for the premium Wahoo price no way.

prebsy

by prebsy

I'm pretty interested in the compact size delivering the power and most importantly directionality. I have a lasko 20" cyclone floor fan. I'm pretty tight on space and it delivers pretty bad cooling for it's size and (power/noise). Is there another fan out there built like the wahoo (blowr?) that doesn't have the ant+ doodads?

nobuseri

by nobuseri

prebsy wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:57 pm
I'm pretty interested in the compact size delivering the power and most importantly directionality. I have a lasko 20" cyclone floor fan. I'm pretty tight on space and it delivers pretty bad cooling for it's size and (power/noise). Is there another fan out there built like the wahoo (blowr?) that doesn't have the ant+ doodads?
Exact same Home Depot fan here. Interested in hearing what’s out there that fits the ask above. I usually wear headphones, and am in the bottom level of the house, so ”quiet” is not really a concern. Just need ample cooling.

For me, the jury is out on this Wahoo one. For the price, I am not looking to buy it anytime soon.
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

nismosr

by nismosr

$20 stand fan from Target!

ImageElite by nismosr, on Flickr
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Air Master 18" or 20" have a nice fan blade shape and are reasonably quiet on setting 1 or 2. This is probably as much focused airflow as you'd ever need. Other people recommend Air Kings, but the Air Masters are psychoacoustically quieter because they produce a lower pitch.

If Air Masters or similar industrial circulators aren't your cup of tea, two smallish Vornado fans will do the trick. The 560s are what I'd look at. Place one in front of your bike off slightly to the side and point it direct at your head. Place the other on the opposite side on the same latitude as your bars and point it at your chest.

htc

by htc

I have the KICKR Headwind and it’s actually pretty awesome having it linked to heart rate. I’m in the UK and train indoors 90% of the time between November and March. The fan is pretty quiet, ramping up gradually with heart rate and delivering a decent channel of air. Other half can sit in the same room comfortably now - with previous fans I used to have to have the doors to the courtyard open in order to keep the temperature comfortable. Work’s great for intervals etc.

hlvd

by hlvd

Here’s something I found out about the Kickr Headwind the other day.
When connected to the Wahoo app it gives the HRM options, but also lets you adjust wind speed.
The Headwind’s default max is 25mph but if you click in the box you can increase that to 30mph.
It’s a great product if a little expensive but I definitely don’t regret buying mine.