Whey Protein and Creatine .... Who uses it and does it benefit?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dim

by dim

I'm way behind with my cycling (I have an inguinal hernia and have been waiting for 5 months for surgery so I have not done any quality fast long rides since last year). Hopefully, surgery will be done at the end of the month.

I was hoping to ride Paris Brest Paris next year, but I very much doubt that I will be ready (I have to qualify by Sept this year, which includes a 600km Audax)

So, I will be starting from scratch again, I am unfit and have bought a stages powermeter and I'm looking at proper nutrition etc. and I will use Training Peaks software to try and make heads and tails of the power info

Currently, I average 240km/week (that is just commuting), and I'm aiming for 400-500km/week once surgery has healed

I have also read that many cyclists use Whey Protein and Creatine.

Any comments from those who have tried it?
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jere

by Jere

Hi

If you’re older like in your late 50s / 60s the extra protein helped me get leaner by getting 30 mg in after each ride.
Creatine I haven’t touched the stuff in 15 plus years , lost my sprint a long time ago and didn’t like the water weight gain.
I’m 140 lbs but must say it helped my recovery
A good book is Power meter by Hunter Allen and Andrew Coggan.
There is another book on older athletes that works for younger guys too because it makes you think about recovery.
Fast after 50 I forgot the author
JB

dim

by dim

Jere wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:46 am
Hi

If you’re older like in your late 50s / 60s the extra protein helped me get leaner by getting 30 mg in after each ride.
Creatine I haven’t touched the stuff in 15 plus years , lost my sprint a long time ago and didn’t like the water weight gain.
I’m 140 lbs but must say it helped my recovery
A good book is Power meter by Hunter Allen and Andrew Coggan.
There is another book on older athletes that works for younger guys too because it makes you think about recovery.
Fast after 50 I forgot the author
JB
thanks .... I've looked at a few YouTube videos since posting this thread, and I think that I will steer clear of the Creatine (not enough long term studies done yet, plus your body retains more water).

And I'm also not sure if I will use the Whey protein either, as you can buy protein bars instead.

thanks for the recomendation for the books, I will have a closer look. (I recieve my Stages ower meter today, so I have lots to learn
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

mcfarton

by mcfarton

I had that surgery a few months ago. Recovery is different for everyone but mine was longer than expected. Take your time coming back, your body will let you know when you are ready. For recovery I spent a fair amount of time on the trainer until I was confident that I could go outside without any pain. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I used to do creatine and soy protein. More application to body building than to endurance activities. Plus creatine creates hydration issues. I would rate this a fail. Money is better spent taking the bike to the alps for a week and train on some hills.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

smartyiak

by smartyiak

I put whey protein in smoothies....but it's because I'm a vegetarian and can use the extra protein.

853guy

by 853guy

Hi dim,

No, I've never used creatine (and personally wouldn't), and yes, have used whey protein before.

However, we've since switched to collagen protein, partly for satiation, partly for the maintaining of muscle mass, but mostly for the benefits of joint health, flexibility and recovery. I have two scoops in a Bulletproof-style coffee every day.

As a person in their mid-forties, recovery after exercise and joint health are my primary priorities over performance gains. In fact, we would often make large batches of bone broth for those reasons, but it's a much more time-consuming process, and we don't always have the time to do it. Whey was okay (huge variance in powders), but often left me feeling bloated, gasseous and/or constipated. I initially also used protein bars but was difficult to find "clean" ones - I switched to getting most of my protein requirements from whole foods instead.

At this stage, it's unlikely I would ever go back to whey. Possibly worth reading up on the difference between whey and collagen.

The collagen protein we use is this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINEAVI-Collag ... wder&psc=1

Best of luck,

853guy
Last edited by 853guy on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

853guy

by 853guy

Double post.

DutchMountains

by DutchMountains

dim wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:22 am
I was hoping to ride Paris Brest Paris next year, but I very much doubt that I will be ready (I have to qualify by Sept this year, which includes a 600km Audax)
Small correction: you do not have to qualify this year, but your longest ride determines when you may pre-register. It is expected that riding a 400km would be enough to ride in 2019.

Then, in the 2019 season, before july 2019, you need to ride a SR series (200, 300, 400, 600km) before your pre-registration is actually accepted.

dim

by dim

DutchMountains wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:31 am
dim wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:22 am
Small correction: you do not have to qualify this year, but your longest ride determines when you may pre-register. It is expected that riding a 400km would be enough to ride in 2019.

Then, in the 2019 season, before july 2019, you need to ride a SR series (200, 300, 400, 600km) before your pre-registration is actually accepted.
Cheers .... thanks! ...

It will give me more time to get fit again
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Ethan4

by Ethan4

Creatine increases brain activities as it is used in our brain as an energy source and it can be effective in the treatment of Parkinson Disease.
BENEFITS

Reduce muscle loss due to aging
Increases maximum strength
Increases explosive strength
Accelerate recovery after workouts
Increases endurance in high-intensity activities

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

I've used both. Male of 54 years old. The creatine somewhat helped with recovery, but I didn't notice any direct strength increases. But also, maybe I wasn't doing the right strength work either. I use whey protien powder just to make sure I am getting enough protien in my diet. It helps. And I use the powder over bars because the powder is overall less calories per gram of protien.

TonyM

by TonyM

I use organic whey protein but not for a benefit itself for cycling but because it is a part of my diet (alcaline, organic, etc...).

Never used creatine. Not a big fan of all these stuffs....

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

1) Creatine increase Dihydrotestosterone production. Increased DHT *probably* accelerates hair loss.
2) Creatine will make your pee stinky
3) Creatine's benefits to endurance athletes are pretty f'in minimal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stoney

by stoney

I use whey protein supplement because it helps my recovery from hard rides. At 50 years old, it was taking me a long for my legs to recover from hard races and training rides. The extra protein now enables me to train/ride hard 3 days per week, say Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, whereas before I was only able to train/ride hard 2 days per week, say Tuesday and Saturday.

I've tried the creatine also and feel it enhances the ability to go hard repeatedly like in a cyclocross races where you are sprinting out of every turn and barrier crossing. It's great for explosive efforts. But I discontinued using it because it caused me to gain weight rapidly.