TrainingPeaks or alternative?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shrike

by Shrike

So finally at the stage where I feel I need more organisation and have been liking the TrainingPeaks trial. Missus likes it too. Solid customisation options.

Trial is nearly up, so thought I'd check before subbing. Anything else out there as user-friendly and has an iOS app that's worth considering?

Managed to get fitnesssyncher to upload all my Strava onto TP this weekend. Quite pleased with that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

I've looked at them all: Training Peaks, Cycling Analytics, Todays Plan, Xert, Stava... and I use... Excel.

I've been able to implement the (not overly complex) formulas from Training and Racing with a Power Meter to create a fully colour coded Performance Management Chart showing Fatigue (ATL), Fitness (CTL) and form (TSB).. as well as Ramp Rate (RR) as well as a daily/weekly/ TSS... lets you plan your Annual Training Plan and then compare what you've done with what you forecast prior.

If someone asks nicely I will share it on here... it's better than all the other excel sheets you'll find out there online circa 2012-2013 - has everything you want, and nothing you don't. And its not a subscription you'll ever lose if you decide to stop paying, or your chosen online platform starts doing stupid/evil shit.

I keep all my fit files on my computer (backed up to a USB drive)...I also use Golden Cheetah to analyse power files and dig deeper into trends etc... and will eventually use its built-in interactive indoor training features instead of Trainer Road (just too busy with work/life right now to dig into it and create a workout library) so Trainer Road does the trick nicely.

The only online software I use is Garmin Connect (free) to share the rides if I choose with friends. I don't use Strava at all.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

I don't know why it took me so long to click, but seeing the $30nzd charge on my card was the final straw for TP premium for me.

I'm currently using a friends spread sheet, but I would be curiois to see yours robertbb

dim

by dim

golden cheetah (free)
Final surge

a few here:
https://github.com/topics/cycling

I have just bought a stages powermeter and will most probably use Training Peaks
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Shrike

by Shrike

Can get TrainingPeaks for around £70 (95 dollars) a year with a discount code which is quite enticing considering it's so user-friendly compared to GT etc..

Just not up for another spreadsheet right now. Laptop and Google Docs is full of them :lol:

dim

by dim

Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

rjgr

by rjgr

robertbb wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:47 pm
I've looked at them all: Training Peaks, Cycling Analytics, Todays Plan, Xert, Stava... and I use... Excel.

I've been able to implement the (not overly complex) formulas from Training and Racing with a Power Meter to create a fully colour coded Performance Management Chart showing Fatigue (ATL), Fitness (CTL) and form (TSB).. as well as Ramp Rate (RR) as well as a daily/weekly/ TSS... lets you plan your Annual Training Plan and then compare what you've done with what you forecast prior.

If someone asks nicely I will share it on here...
Yes please Robert. I have written a spreadsheet that attempts to record/calculate these parameters but I should like to compare it with yours, which sounds a much more sophisticated version!

zgxtreme

by zgxtreme

I am addicted to Excel for organizing so I’d be interested as well. Thank you!

jorisee01

by jorisee01

I love Excel as well. I would love my data to be in there

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

kingvelo

by kingvelo

Any chance of posting a link to this spreadsheet?

I have something less technical for my Tri training that just captures the usual stats taken from Strava/Garmin.

robertbb

by robertbb

Ok all, your requests here and in PM have been heard. I'm crazy busy at the moment with work, my girlfriend's dad's recovering from Melanoma surgery and I'm prioritising winter training. Give me a day or two to polish it up for general consumption and I will publish a link!

(Would be kinda cool if we can get some Excel gurus to contribute... there are some things I've got planned in later versions that might involve macros... and I'd have to teach myself. I might call these features out and see if anyone can take this on.)

Another thought I had was, once feature set is dialed in, to get a kickstarter going to have this developed as a stand-alone application, to be released open source. Think: "Golden Cheetah lite" - but purely for training plan building and performance monitoring without the heavy learning curve and feature bloat of Golden Cheetah.

To be continued...

robertbb

by robertbb

EDITED: I've started a new thread. Here it is:

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 8&t=152263

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com