Cassette for trainer

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

wintershade

by wintershade

Hi all --

My primary two bikes are 2017/2018 Record 11 Speed. I run Record cassette on race wheels, Chorus on the beater training wheels and trainer, usually 12-27 or 12-29. I like to run same ratio cassette on trainer as wheels ("train like you race").

To save $50, can I run Potenza 11 cassette (12-27) on my trainer. Any downside to doing so (i.e. worse shifting, etc.)? Or should I just stick with Chorus on the trainer?

TonyM

by TonyM

It is heavier and it will last longer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wintershade

by wintershade

TonyM wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:03 pm
It is heavier and it will last longer.
Right... both good qualities for a trainer cassette that will see a lot of abuse. But I guess main question is -- the isn't some difference in cog spacing or anything, right? I know there are some issues with Potenza derailers mixed with Chorus-Record-SR shifters, and just want to make sure the 11-speed cassettess are all cross-compatible.

robertbb

by robertbb

They are, just use the Potenza lockring.

boots2000

by boots2000

I think a cheap cassette is fine for the trianer- will last longer.

I prefer as tight a cassette as possible on the trainer.
It can be hard to match cadence to outdoor riding- A tighter cassette allows for more discreet jumps.
wintershade wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:03 pm
Hi all --

My primary two bikes are 2017/2018 Record 11 Speed. I run Record cassette on race wheels, Chorus on the beater training wheels and trainer, usually 12-27 or 12-29. I like to run same ratio cassette on trainer as wheels ("train like you race").

To save $50, can I run Potenza 11 cassette (12-27) on my trainer. Any downside to doing so (i.e. worse shifting, etc.)? Or should I just stick with Chorus on the trainer?

dgasmd

by dgasmd

boots2000 wrote:I think a cheap cassette is fine for the trianer- will last longer.

I prefer as tight a cassette as possible on the trainer.
It can be hard to match cadence to outdoor riding- A tighter cassette allows for more discreet jumps.
wintershade wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:03 pm
Hi all --

Haven’t looked at prices for cassettes in a few months, but I’d personally would just use the cheapest 11 sp cassette you can find. That is regardless of ratios. That won’t translate well to the road unless you have a smart trainner, in which case the cassette is completely irrelevant.

wintershade

by wintershade

I have a NEO Smart. But I like the gearing to be the same, for riding GPS loaded routes in slope mode, and practicing shifting through the gears, and wanting it to feel more realistic. I try not to only ride ERG mode.

I was able to find a Chorus 12-27 casette for $15 more than the Potenza, so I went ahead and just bought that. Probably a waste of money, but I figure worst case scenario I'd be willing to use it outdoors if I ever need/want to throw it on a backup wheelset.

robertbb

by robertbb

Regarding ratio choice:

I don't have a smart trainer and therefore don't simulate workouts indoors.

But for my Kurt Kinetic and Trainer Road set-up, I've gone with a Chorus 12-25 cassette whereas I exclusively run a 12-29 on all my bikes. Reason being, with the close ratios I can more finely tune my cadence and power to match the workout.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com