Bake & No-Bake homemade energy bars that don't fall apart with heat

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shrike

by Shrike

So looking to start making some energy bars on Friday nights for the weekend rides and was initially really into the no-bake recipes I've been looking up, but now I'm thinking there's just no way realistically they will survive in a warm jersey pocket. Most foodies posting their recipes online aren't cyclists so who better to ask :)

Ideally I'd love to just use :

egg
banana
rolled oats
pistachio nuts

And bake for about 12 to 15 mins. Do you think that would work, or is banana too weird to work with?

Are there any no-bake recipes that really do stick together in heat?

I'm avoiding dried fruit like dates as these are for two of us and we both have different tastes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

I've had mixed results with this. Baked definitely holds together better. I used golden syrup to stick some non bake ones together. Works ok but they're still very soft.
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

zefs

by zefs

Just use a bit of water or juice to wet the oats and when you shape them up/bake they don't fall apart.
I use the flapjack recipe: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/748464 ... -flapjacks

But I use less, so for 500g oats about 200g sugar and 200g butter then add dry fruit or nuts etc. in small pieces.
Heat at 180c for 20mins or so, gives about 10 bars.

themidge

by themidge

If the ingredients you want won't work to make a solid bar/cake/whatever, you could perhaps try wrapping them in rice paper. It's edible, and should help keep things together, though I haven't tried it.

Shrike

by Shrike

Rice paper could be good, not sure, depends on how crude the mess it's trying to contain will be :)

Going to be trying a batch with egg, and a batch and with peanut butter this weekend. And then another go Sun evening after seeing how those work out. 3 attempts. Keen on using banana as it seems you can make a sort of fluffier, almost bread-like bar using it which would be easier to get down I think. Suppose on easier going endurance rides the texture is not as big a deal.

@zef, cheers, will use a bit of water on the oats :!:

Shrike

by Shrike

Cooling these at the moment :P

zefs

by zefs

Good job, better than buying them from the store.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com