Living near sea level, training for a 31mile climb to altitude advice please?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

scant

by scant

Hi All
2years ago I rode the "whole enchilada" in moab utah. most people get shuttle driven up to 10,000feet, then climb to 11,400, then descend 26miles offroad! which was an amazing experience & the longest downhill I've ever ridden.

At home in the UK we obviously dont have mountains anywhere near that big. I do all my rides from home but the biggest mountain is 2900ft, several mountains around 2500ft & then constant hills in quick succession around 1500-1800ft. The longest single climb around here is just under 2hrs, offroad, mostly draggy, but occasionally very steep over 25%., but nothing longer than 2hrs. I'd say the average climb is 30mins long.

I love climbing & specifically love long mtb 10-12hr/ 100miler rides in summer, but its rare to go much over 10000ft of total climbing in a day. This weekend I plan to do a 5.5hr/47miles/7000ft loop which i'll find hard, but enjoyable as a fitness guideline (we've only just got ride of deep snow, so the last 2weeks have been pretty low mileage)

as we drove up to 11,400ft in moab i wondered if people ever do the full climb. I searched online & people have ridden the 31miles 7000ft near constant climb. I'm considered by my friends & previous race results in the late 90s to be a strong climber, but the next planned moab trip will be 2months before my 45th birthday does have me doubting myself. partly as i've never ridden 31 constant miles uphill/7000ft at altitude. I notice the effects of altitude from around 7200ft.

I'm fairly fit for this time of year. I've got 7months till the trip & I'm lucky enough to have a lot of time to ride. what would I need to be doing to be able to survive the climb AND enjoy the downhill? any advice appreciated! thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

n1ey

by n1ey

I just rode 25mi up Mt Lemmon from 2k to 9.2k. I live in New England. So we just don't have 25mile climbs. It was actually 30 miles to the top, but the Strava is only for the first 25mi.

I focused on maintaining a steady state. I started slower than normal. I aimed for consistency and I did not worry about making top speed. I a 3.5 w/kg rider. I had a 34/32 gearing combo. I would have preferred a 34/36. It would have helped on the cadence.

Bill