Anyone lost a lot of weight, and kept it off?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

TheRich

by TheRich

Shrike wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:52 pm
Oh and the other things is that base phases, like TrainerRoad's which are mostly sweetspot, especially the high volume plans, are most fuelled by riders on higher carb ratios. Maybe it's a case that we need to learn to do base phases like these but work on fat adaptation too. Maybe we're only doing one half of the equation.
Remember that TrainerRoad is mostly trainer focused, because of that it's going to be shorter duration workouts...so they dial up the intensity in order to have some sort of training load and effect.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

I was probably somewhere around 127kgs at my biggest (123kg was the highest documented, but I was bigger than that, just never stepped on a scale lol), down to 82-84kg and have kept it off for seven years (270-280lbs down to 180-185lbs for those that don't want to do the conversion). I did get lower, but that was when I was hyper focused on what I was eating, with a more relaxed and realistic diet, I stay where I'm at pretty easily now. Dropped the weight in about 10 months, first four months were just diet changes and calorie counting, then brought in exercise (running primarily, only starting cycling about a year ago).

As far as what to eat, what works, etc. I tell everyone the same thing, if you can't do it for the rest of your life, it won't work long term. So forget the fad diets, eat less and move more (then as your activity levels come up, you can eat more and maintain the same weight, but initially calorie restriction is the name of the game). I was super focused on what I ate at first, until things like smaller portion sizes became a habit. I don't even think about what I eat anymore, I eat pizza, burgers, drink beer, etc., I just eat less of it, but I also workout 12-14 hours a week (that's dedicated workouts, rides, running, etc., not counting walks, taking the stairs, and all of the other ways that I make sure I keep moving throughout the day).

There are some interesting studies on the high energy flux idea, basically eat more, move more. But you have to move A LOT to make it work. Your body finds a stasis, but the activity level has to be much higher than where most people are at.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

rides4beer wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:50 pm
I was probably somewhere around 127kgs at my biggest (123kg was the highest documented, but I was bigger than that, just never stepped on a scale lol), down to 82-84kg and have kept it off for seven years (270-280lbs down to 180-185lbs for those that don't want to do the conversion). I did get lower, but that was when I was hyper focused on what I was eating, with a more relaxed and realistic diet, I stay where I'm at pretty easily now. Dropped the weight in about 10 months, first four months were just diet changes and calorie counting, then brought in exercise (running primarily, only starting cycling about a year ago).

As far as what to eat, what works, etc. I tell everyone the same thing, if you can't do it for the rest of your life, it won't work long term. So forget the fad diets, eat less and move more (then as your activity levels come up, you can eat more and maintain the same weight, but initially calorie restriction is the name of the game). I was super focused on what I ate at first, until things like smaller portion sizes became a habit. I don't even think about what I eat anymore, I eat pizza, burgers, drink beer, etc., I just eat less of it, but I also workout 12-14 hours a week (that's dedicated workouts, rides, running, etc., not counting walks, taking the stairs, and all of the other ways that I make sure I keep moving throughout the day).

There are some interesting studies on the high energy flux idea, basically eat more, move more. But you have to move A LOT to make it work. Your body finds a stasis, but the activity level has to be much higher than where most people are at.

Amazing reduction in a short period of time, congrats!

Would that amount of weight loss not destroy your leptin levels, and make you significantly more hungry? Did you notice that at some point, that your hunger levels just really increased and the smaller portions just couldn't satisfy you?

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Shrike wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:58 pm
Amazing reduction in a short period of time, congrats!

Would that amount of weight loss not destroy your leptin levels, and make you significantly more hungry? Did you notice that at some point, that your hunger levels just really increased and the smaller portions just couldn't satisfy you?
Thanks!

There was def some hunger management in the beginning, nothing unbearable, just "Oh, I'm hungry, this is part of losing weight, deal with it" lol But it leveled off. I do notice that I will get hungry now if I haven't eaten in a while, but my body has gotten used to eating throughout the day, it's pretty rare for me to go more than 2-3 hours without eating something (snacks, not full meals obviously). But with my activity level, my metabolism is pretty high, gotta keep fueling the fire.

I don't think there's any way to reduce calories without having hunger, that's just the reality of it, and calorie reduction is the only way to lose weight (every single plan out there is just a way to make calorie reduction manageable). But it does level off, at least it did for me. Then as my activity levels increased even more (ultra running and now cycling), my caloric needs increased as well. I don't track calories anymore, but I def eat a lot to maintain my energy levels and training now.

I will note that it is a very fine line to walk when trying to train and lose weight at the same time. I've found that if your main goal is to lose weight, then you need to be willing to allow your training to suffer a bit, because your energy levels will be down. During marathon training for my PR, I was able to drop a few pounds while keeping my training volume and energy up, but it took a lot of focus on everything I was eating and drinking.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Congrats rides4beer, Impressive what you have achieved. I admire the determination because I doubt I could do it.

My experience was very different. Although I raced as a junior at 185 pounds 30 years ago, I was my heaviest at 200 lbs 15 years ago. I was never overweight, just wide shoulders, long torso, long arms, thick neck, and above average muscle, particularely legs, ass ect. Over the last 15 years I have literally shrunk down to 170 lbs, with the occassional foray down to 165 for mountain adventures. My arms are sticks, my legs are much smaller. My method was nothing other then to ride a lot. I never considered diet (which was always high quality, if a bit excessive). The loss of muscle mass is interesting. Probably a natural part of aging. I guess I didn't replace it with fat which is more typical. Holy crap what a difference. I can finally climb. Haven't won a sprint against anybody in years though.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

stoney

by stoney

I have finally made it to my target weight through intermittent fasting. I was able to lose 15 pounds in 2 months time. I roughly followed the 18/6 plan where my first meal was at 12 noon and my last meal was 6pm. If I had a long morning group ride planned then I ditched the intermittent fasting for the day to fuel for the workout. The last thing I want to do is be "that guy" that bonks on a group ride holding everyone up. I also made sure that I ate plenty of protein everyday and plenty of carbs on days when I had some intensity planned. I'm 51 years old and feel better than I've felt in years thanks to intermittent fasting approximately 5 to 6 days per week.

gurk700

by gurk700

I've lost almost 60lbs with cycling and kept it off for close to 4 years now.
5'7"
From 208lbs to 150lbs.
First year of that I ate whatever I wanted.
Second year of that I went vegan. My training and performance stayed the same and so did my weight.
Still ate whatever I wanted however much I felt like.

I still have a lot of fat in my mid section so decided to take my diet to another level.
Eating A LOT cleaner now. ZERO junk food. I quit coffee too to make sure I absorb all the iron I need.
I eat so much in a day that I'm always full so thinking about junk food makes me wanna vomit. When I crave food, I started craving nutritional food. This change literally happened over a week.
First week I was hungry. A LOT. Whenever I get hungry I'd eat an apple and it would satisfy me.
My diet is mostly below foods and probably bunch of other healthy stuff I'm forgetting.

Rice, beans, sweet potatoes, spinach, nutritional yeast, bananas, oats, apples, all kinds of berries, tofu, tempeh, avocado etc.

Daily it's like 80% carbs, 10% fats (almost always from avocado so healthy fats), 10% protein

I laugh when I see non carb diets. Maybe it's personal. Weight is coming off so fast that I'm actually worried. 1.5 weeks into this. Already down to 147.3 lbs this morning. I've never seen it that low in my adult life. I'm 36.
I'm performing just as good. Have a lot of energy. I'm back on sufferfest and my results are comparable or better than last winter.

Training is important but food is a HUUUUUGE chunk of this equation.

Just my 2 cents.

izzo

by izzo

After back injury and bed chained and thus huge weight gain,... 184cm,...I lost 26 kg in last 13 months,..104->78 and hoping to get to 70 in next 4 months right for the season 2021 :),...thats 2kg/month and I found that healty loss form me.
Secret: Except junk food&chocholate I eat everything just about 1/3 less than ussual+vitamins+proteins and spent avg. 14h/week on a bike (zone 2-3), ussualy fasting 2h together 6times/week.....thats for 13 months in a row :)

saldegracia

by saldegracia

I am 1.94m tall and a few years ago went from almost 100kg down to about 88/89 after realizing I was gluten-intolerant. Stopped eating gluten and the weight went down by itself, without increasing exercise (didn't do an awful lot at the time, mainly hiking, walking).

One sife effect of the whole gluten thing was that I checked labels on any food I buy much more carefully and basically stopped buying anything that contained too much stuff that sounded unnatural or was too processed. When eating at home these days I mainly use unprocessed ingedients...but I do go out to eat probably a couple of times per week on average.

After going gluten-free and initial weight loss I also started feeling generally much better, more energy, fewer digestion issues, so got back into cycing again after a 15 year hiatus or so. That made me drop a few more kg and now I am oscillating somewhere between 81 and 85kg but I eat as much as I want, just making sure it's good quality food. And I am riding my bike a lot, somewhere between 12 and 15K per year. I have a bit of a sweet tooth, I think if I were more discipined and weight loss was a real goal (which it isn't at this point) I could probably go below 80 but I like food too much for that and I will never be able to keep up with my 65kg riding buddies on the long climbs, so what's the point ;)
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

sychen

by sychen

Not sure if this is considered alot..

170cm, 71kg Sept 2020
September last year ,i was in the form of my life.. Nothing to crow about but stronger than I ever been on a bike and feeling great. Had a bad accident where I fractured my face and had 8 plates put in (insert titanium parts should go on the bike jokes here). Forced Soup diet and bone healing caused a 7 kilo drop (5 lost just in hospital) while doing nothing but recovering .

Kept it off while doing follow up surgeries and riding on zwift throughout this summer (ya great timing).

I was always that stocky build and never wanted to drop much weight...

Now I had it off.. Inspired to keep it that way.

Now hovering around 64/65kg and not changed the diet much.. Riding 150 to 200km on zwift per week.

Always been healthy-ish as in no sodas, minimal junk food except for ice cream, just a bit too much takeaway/eat out at nice places.. The pandemic has made me healthier, taking away the work lunches and dinners out.

Cook more, eat better.

Definitely not recommending my method of weight loss even on my worst enemies... But it was a rare positive from this experience.. And not letting it go to waste.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

leejhayward

by leejhayward

Another success story of sorts here.

I was a rather large, beer and kebab fuelled 118kg/260lbs/18 stone 9lbs in my late teens / early twenties.

Decided enough was enough and started out at the gym and playing squash, 3 or 4 times a week and dropped down to around 95kg / 210lbs/15 stone with a more disciplined diet and regular exercise. I spent much of my 20s and early 30s hovering around this, although when I lived in LA (of all places) I rose to around 102kg.

And then I started cycling properly...

My mileage has increased year on year for the past 4 years to the point where last year I topped 7000 Miles for the first time. I'm down to around 86kg / 189 lbs / 13 stone 7lbs. My diet is carefully carefree. I mostly eat what I like, but try to make sure that if I do over indulge that it's fairly infrequently. Otherwise try to maintain a consistent and varied diet, aiming for higher protein where possible. My biggest weakness is definitely sweet foods. My next goal and to allow me to take the next step with my racing, is to get to 80kg by around April / May. If I could possibly hit 78/79 kg that would be 40kg lost, a 1/3rd of my original and highest weight.

For me consistency and routine has been the key. Make a plan that works and then execute it. IF you fall off, no matter for how short a time, do not loose sight of your end goal and go back to executing the plan.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

I myself need to lose at least 25kg of blubber.🐋 My original adult weight when I was doing loads of cycling was about 64-67kg. I was skinny. I used to laugh at "fat pinarello riders". Then I started putting work as the main priority in my life, bought a van, went on anti-depressants, and had a severe foot injury (partly caused by too much weight). In no particular order. And now my YouTube channel is literally called "FatPinarelloRider".

I knew I was getting fatter but ignored it. I avoided hopping on any scales. Avoided looking in the mirror. > 5 years later I weighed a peak 108kg! :shock: Enough is enough, I thought that was a ridiculous weight because until then I'd assumed I was 'only' probably about 92kg or something. :cry:

The good news is that I have started training again and it looks like I have completely recovered from my foot injury. :thumbup: :thumbup: That alone gives me some hope. The last time I weighed myself a few months ago I was still a portly (porky) 104kg. This is depressing in itself, as I had been on literally dozens of rides, stopped eating all salami due to recent cholesterol* concerns, and still only lost 4kg! I'd really like (need) to control my weight. To be under ~ 85kg would be my first main aim. :smartass:

And 72kg, that would be my ideal goal I think. I'd be happy with that weight. Do forum members think I will be able to get to that weight without "dieting" as such? If I ate a salad for dinner, that would not be pleasant. My stomach would growl and I would not be able to sleep.😭

I've always assumed that diets don't work in the long term and that exercise is what matters more. Because as soon as you start eating 'normally' again, it's like the body remembers/rebounds, punishes you and you end up weighing MORE than you started. It has happened with other members of my family. So I was hoping I could do it with exercise alone. :? But maybe that's no longer the case with my current metabolism? I seemed to be able to eat whatever I wanted when I was younger. :x

I never used to drink alcohol, I was a teatotaller. Today I rarely have a drink, maybe once a month, but I know it's just empty calories. I generally eat well, light breakfasts, home-cooked dinners, I don't eat much processed foods. I have lots of fruit. Trouble is, because of the medication, I never seem to feel full. I snack too much. I overeat.

* My doctor told me that my cholesterol was "out of this planet". I didn't ask what the numbers were.
Last edited by synchronicity on Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

AJS914

by AJS914

Do forum members think I will be able to get to that weight without "dieting" as such?
Don't "diet" per say. Just change the way you eat permanently. Really, it's the only way. Build meals out of real food - healthy carbohydrates with fiber (fruit and veggies) and high quality protein. Since you have a cholesterol issue, you might want to switch to leaner proteins. I also love home made legumes like beans and lentils. Brown rice is good too. Olive oil is your best healthy fat.

Eliminate fast food, take-out, processed food, and high glycemic foods (flour, sugar) as much as humanly possible if you want to lose weight.

Develop a base line eating strategy that you can maintain. Add extra portions of healthy carbs to fuel rides on an as needed basis. Thus, if you aren't doing hard training then tighten up on the extra carbs and sugars and go back to baseline diet.

I also think that lifting weights or doing other body weight exercises can help remodel your body composition. Cycling, unfortunately, is not the greatest exercise for total body health and fitness.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

synchronicity wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:51 am
And 72kg, that would be my ideal goal I think. I'd be happy with that weight. Do forum members think I will be able to get to that weight without "dieting" as such? If I ate a salad for dinner, that would not be pleasant. My stomach would growl and I would not be able to sleep.😭
You havent mentioned your height, so provided you arent too tall, 72 kgs is most certainly achievable

I raced my best at 72kgs (5'7" or 173 cm, decent sprinter, decent TTer)
I couldnt go much lighter without effecting my day to day work (Im in construction) but I knew that also meant I was never going to keep up with the pure climbers I rode and raced with

As other have said, it doesnt matter what you do but if it isnt sustainable in the long term, you are doomed to fail

Personally, I have a sweet tooth.
I tried to cut out all sweets and it didnt end well, so now I just limit my intake

But my number one take away (sorry for the pun!) is this...you cant out exercise your mouth.
You will always be able to eat more calories than you can burn off through increased exercise, so aim at first to reduce you portion size
East what youre currently eating, just less
Once you start to drop the weight, then it will be easier to start to change your diet to something healthier you can stick with in the long term
A healthier diet that is less calorie dense will also allow you to acutally eat more food so you never feel hungry while still dropping the weight

Dont confuse hunger with thirst.
You may feel hungry, but ofter than will go away with a nice big glass of cold water
Also have a big glass of water before you sit down to eat. That will limit your food intake right away

Never drink calories
Far too easy to "over eat" by drinking your calories so stick to water and limit your intake of artifically sweetened drinks.
Their is evidence that they may limit weight loss

That should be enough to get you started

Oh, and get ready for the rain bomb heading your way.
Im in Wollongong and it hit us this morning and its heading south

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Hmm, interesting, thanks for your replies.
I am about 6' tall, 181cm give or take a cm.

I do have a sweet tooth (unfortunately). Perhaps it's time for me to replace the second coffee with tea (which I can drink without any added sugar). I might look up a sugar substitute too (I've just done a quick search and it seems that something called xylitol doesn't have that horrible bitter aftertaste, might give that a go for my coffee). I'm already using skim milk.

I'll do what you say and drink more water before and after meals, I can do that, yes.

I'm starting to recall that, no, I didn't eat "whatever I wanted" when I was in my twenties. I was a bit of a fussy eater. I wouldn't eat cream and I'd cut the fat off everything. For example when I did that in Spain and cut off the fat from jamon serrano, even the black label pata negra stuff, they thought I was crazy.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.