Anyone lost a lot of weight, and kept it off?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

joejack951

by joejack951

queloque67 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:27 pm
I'm a black beans type of guy but there are so many bean varieties with different tastes and texture....eat what you like. And if you like spicy...... sriracha makes it taste much better or sauerkraut.
I love beans, too. I'll be having black beans in my quesadillas tonight. But one of my favorite ways to eat (cannellini) beans is in the salad below, which most of the time I do not add the prosciutto. I can whip this up in under 10 minutes (using dried herbs) and it makes enough for a few meals worth, and it always tastes better the next day for some reason. Yes, I use canned beans and tomatoes for the convenience but there's no reason why you couldn't do it fully from scratch.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/gia ... pe-1943121

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

jekyll man wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:04 pm
CBA to read all the way through, but sort the low hanging fruit first.
Vending machine coffee etc are high cal for their content. Its about 100kcal a cup. Ditch it. Boil a kettle and make a tea.
Costa/ starbucks if you frequent there, look at the content of their drinks. Med Mocha is like 600 or something. Americano if you do anything.
Fruit juice is very high, and doesnt necessarily give you the benefits of eating the same fruit.
Bread- get it out of your life.
You'll be amazed how quick weight falls off just doing these things.
Read this the other day but it popped back into my mind this morning.

What's the deal with bread. All bread types considered junk, or what's the reasoning there? All you guys think the same about bread too? I find bread kinda bingey, so am thinking about dropping it the wholemeal bread I usually get in. Maybe dropping all bread altogether. Want to see what you guys say about it though.

(For the rest of it: I'm a black coffee guy (caffeinated and decaf), don't do fruit juice or beers. I'm pretty sorted in some ways. A lot of stuff I just don't do and don't care for. Enjoy wine if I'm out or offered it over at a mate's house but I've got beer, wine and spirits sitting here for nearly a year untouched. Just keep getting gifted the stuff. Wish people would start giving spare tubes when they're over instead :lol: )

AJS914

by AJS914

For the last few years I've severely cut down on bread. From a nutrional density point of view bread is a zero. You get starchy calories and not much else. Lately I've been trying to eliminate it completely.

I know people part of the "gluten free" trend get made fun of but lots of people feel better after stopping gluten. Gluten is inflamatory. I think the research is now showing that non-celiac gluten sensitivity is a real thing and not in people's heads. In the end, I think we will find out in the future that the gut microbiome is the key to everything - health, disease, weight, etc. Removing foods that cause inflamation and eating foods that nourish a better microbiome will be beneficial.

Shrike

by Shrike

How long does it takes to change the microbiomes in your gut if you begin to eat a new food regularly. Say switching from wheat to a starchy vegetable like a potato? Or is not that simple..

AJS914

by AJS914

My understanding is that it will change over a month or two. Basically you feed the good bacteria what they want (fiber, prebiotic food) and starve the bacteria that want bad foods like fast food. All this microbiome stuff is in its infancy but I believe it will be huge in the future with regards to personalized medicine.

For example, there are studies where they take fat mice and modify their microbiomes with that of thin mice. Magically the fat mice become thin. We all know those people that are thin no matter what they eat. If you buy the theory of calories in / calories out, how come these perpetually thin people never gain weight?

I've been watching this Australian science show called Catalyst. They have four microbiom episodes that I found interesting.

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4067184.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4070977.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4751097.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4754715.htm

joejack951

by joejack951

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:38 pm
We all know those people that are thin no matter what they eat. If you buy the theory of calories in / calories out, how come these perpetually thin people never gain weight?
No, we all don't. 'Perpetually' (in quotes, because there's no such thing) thin people are either very active, don't eat a lot, or both in my experience. I have examples of all three in my family, as well as examples of the latter, 'perpetually' (in quotes, because there's no such thing, just bad habits) overweight people, which at least implies to me, that it has nothing to do with genetics and everything to do with calories in/calories out.

Shrike

by Shrike

@ AJ cheers! Works in my region, sounds pretty cutting edge, will catch up on it.

@joe, some people do seem to have a sort of fixed weight that they have to work hard to move from and for some people that weight is pretty low it seems.

queloque67

by queloque67

Shrike wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:10 pm
@ AJ cheers! Works in my region, sounds pretty cutting edge, will catch up on it.

@joe, some people do seem to have a sort of fixed weight that they have to work hard to move from and for some people that weight is pretty low it seems.
Being overweight is just more of an overt indication of what might be going on inside your body. Being thin doesn't address heart diseases...it just addresses how well your body burns and utilizes dietary fat and body fat.
Thin people often have a false sense of security because we live in a culture that associates thin with being healthy and that is furthest from the truth. #1 killer is still heart disease. Being thin doesn't protect your arteries from building up plaque. Diet does. But this is a topic about weight loss. :)

Shrike

by Shrike

queloque67 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:24 pm
Shrike wrote:

Being overweight is just more of an overt indication of what might be going on inside your body. Being thin doesn't address heart diseases...it just addresses how well your body burns and utilizes dietary fat and body fat.
Thin people often have a false sense of security because we live in a culture that associates thin with being healthy and that is furthest from the truth. #1 killer is still heart disease. Being thin doesn't protect your arteries from building up plaque. Diet does. But this is a topic about weight loss. :)
I was around 63 to 67kg nearly all my life and that was me at my least healthy! Smoked and drank all week long. Lunches in my early to mid 20s started becoming a case of pub food, quick meeting, and a glass of wine. Another meet up in the pub for a quick pint before catching the train home, grab some junk takeaway, and spend the rest of night working and smoking away. Super lean though :)

queloque67

by queloque67

Shrike wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:55 pm
queloque67 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:24 pm
Shrike wrote:

I was around 63 to 67kg nearly all my life and that was me at my least healthy! Smoked and drank all week long. Lunches in my early to mid 20s started becoming a case of pub food, quick meeting, and a glass of wine. Another meet up in the pub for a quick pint before catching the train home, grab some junk takeaway, and spend the rest of night working and smoking away. Super lean though :)
yeah, it seems we end up paying the piper once we hit the 40 to 50 years old. It takes that long before our artery functions really show its ugly head. But science says artery scaring actually starts appearing when we are 10 years old due to our western diet. Think about it it. America averages 33,000 murders a year. Almost 800,000 people die from heart disease a year. That's 1 out of 4 of all deaths a year. 2 out of 3 deaths for men. Men happen to eat a lot more. So if men don't change their lifestyle its a guarantee death will be due to a heart attack or stroke. Regardless of if you are skinny or not. Thats why I ride my bike almost everyday and changed my eating habits. I was a buffet junky for a long time. Food is culture so change is hard and people tend to ignore things that take almost 50 years to reveal themselves in terms of what is harmful for our health. And if its good news for bad habits we tend to lean in that direction than eating brocolli every day. LOL

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

So the quick way to change your gut microflora might be
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_m ... transplant

no thanks

queloque67

by queloque67

Tenlegs wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:26 pm
So the quick way to change your gut microflora might be
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_m ... transplant

no thanks
It will be more normal than you think. You can send your fecal matter in and it pretty much can tell you everything about you. Them little critters in our gut run the show for sure.
We just have to feed the good ones. LOL
amazing!

AJS914

by AJS914

I've been wanting to get my gut critters tested but I've read conflicting reviews of the various DIY mail in tests. In one review, two tests returned exactly opposite results. Some tests are provider only. Ubiome for example has a doctor prescribed test that costs $500 and a DIY test that costs $100. The reported is supposedly different but they don't really make it clear why the $500 test would be better.

It seems like this space is still in in its infancy.

queloque67

by queloque67

AJS914 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:45 pm
I've been wanting to get my gut critters tested but I've read conflicting reviews of the various DIY mail in tests. In one review, two tests returned exactly opposite results. Some tests are provider only. Ubiome for example has a doctor prescribed test that costs $500 and a DIY test that costs $100. The reported is supposedly different but they don't really make it clear why the $500 test would be better.

It seems like this space is still in in its infancy.
Too early for me to dump money into that.

VamP

by VamP

Yeah, poo doping is apparently the next big thing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com