Anyone lost a lot of weight, and kept it off?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shrike

by Shrike

Yes after years of reading the same arguments back and forth all over the internet, we still don’t have a plan for training and maintaining a high level of adaptation for both key energy systems. Should we be doing specifically X amount of time in zone low carb or X number of fasted rides per year for example. Or is simply reducing carbs gradually for all rides but not beyond a certain point, better.

I’ve done a lot of fasting since making this thread by the way. 2 weeks prolonged fast was my best and I could have kept going if I didn’t do something stupid and fall off the wagon. What I noticed is I was able to ride almost at threshold for around 40 mins after day 3 of a prolonged fast.

That fascinated me and wanted to dive deeper into how it was physically possible (especially while feeling euphoric) but ultimately it’s too problematic for a lot of reasons. And efforts above threshold are appalling. Muscles feel weak.

What I will say for low carb or fasting is that mentally it’s a different game. I felt amazing fasted. But not when cycling. It’s great for losing weight and a fun challenge but training on it is horrible.

I’m even scared off doing early morning fasted rides. I feel like it throws my hormones into a frenzy later in the day and appetite gets out of control. Shame because that’s actually kinda nice, getting up super early like 5am and doing a gentle ride to wake up and burn some fat.

gurk700

by gurk700

I keep things simple.
I fast only to train my body to burn fat and not need carbs all the time. I also don’t “diet on the bike”

- After only a few days of doing 14-16 hour fasting, I stop getting as hungry especially in the mornings.
- I lose weight (I’m 142lbs at 5’7 so it’s not like I lose 15 lbs in a month, obviously. But still experience a significant rate of loss for my weight)
- I always carb up for rides. per 1hr: 40-80gr depending on intensity. (more if you can handle it) I wouldn’t recommend dieting on the bike. Hard work of dieting should be done off the bike IMO.
- Long rides: Fast, eat a good nutritious meal and ride 2-3 hours later. Or take it very easy the first hour if you ride within an hour after you eat. Then use 40-80gram rule on the bike.
- Short intense rides: Fast, pop quick carbs before your ride (bloks, gels) then ride and use 40-80gram rule on the bike.

Above has been successful for me after years of trying different stuff and not losing weight or occasionally bonking etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Shrike wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:41 pm
I’ve done a lot of fasting since making this thread by the way. 2 weeks prolonged fast was my best and I could have kept going if I didn’t do something stupid and fall off the wagon. What I noticed is I was able to ride almost at threshold for around 40 mins after day 3 of a prolonged fast.
You fasted for 2 solid weeks whilst riding your bike? No calorie intake whatsoever? Does not seem sensible.

Shrike

by Shrike

No never done a 2 week fast while riding. Though you could do very light riding for sure if you were able to maintain electrolytes.

I’ve done a ton of fasts by now would take ages to go through all the experiences but I have experimented with riding after 3 days fasts (for me I feel like this is when I’m fully in ketosis). At this stage I still feel healthy, and not light headed etc.

I was doing alpe du zwift and seeing how hard I could ride during ketosis. Never made it to top but my best effort was stunning my standards I felt and opens up the possibility perhaps of fatal adaptation reaching a stage where it can sustain high power numbers.

Quit shortly after that and fasting isn’t a solution to everything either. It’s deeply problematic and I have a lot of good and bad experiences.

FWIW though, many prolonged fasters do regular workouts! But I think they were probably much more experienced than I was. I simply went through a fad for about a year of trying to see how far I could push things.

I’d love to do a month some time though. Honestly that would be a massive mental achievement for me.