Anyone lost a lot of weight, and kept it off?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

joejack951

by joejack951

853guy wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:17 pm
joejack951 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:07 pm
Let me guess: that study was funded by the milk/meat lobby and this study was funded by the soy lobby: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19524224

"No significant effects of soy protein or isoflavone intake on T, SHBG, free T, or FAI were detected regardless of statistical model."
They're all just data points, Joejack. Each person should decide what's best for them, based on the available, and sometimes, inconclusive/conflicting research.

For whatever it's worth, a quick re-read of my post will show the only personal pronoun used above is “I”. That’s because I was sharing what I do, not what he/she/they should do, and certainly not what you should do.

Best,

853guy
I should have added a [sarcasm] tag to my response. But, I would also like to add that I personally get the impression that someone is attempting to speak with authority about a subject when they make a statement about something and then proceed to post a link to a study 'proving' their point. Generally when people try to speak with authority it is because they want people to follow/agree with them. It may not always be true but it's the impression I get. A more balanced post from you might have mentioned that there are conflicting studies and I would not have felt the need to post a snarky response.

Anyway, when it comes to nutrition, it is rare to find a study that doesn't have a counter-study saying the opposite. I wasn't looking for a study refuting what your link claimed about soy but happened to click on a link on the same page about a 'related study' and there it was. I have no idea who funded either study but in my prior readings of both nutrition-related and various other subject matter-related studies, they are nearly all funded by interested parties in some way. Hence why I tend to ignore the vast majority of them and just focus on what makes sense and works for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joejack951

by joejack951

Shrike wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:40 pm
joejack951 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:10 pm
Shrike wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:27 am
From everything I've tried eggs seem to work best for satiety with least risk of an insulin spike.

Though I'd love to find a non-animal product replacement that works as effectively.
Fat/protein-wise, tofu isn't that far off from egg based on total calories. I might have to give both a try perhaps in the form of a breakfast wrap with kale and some veggies. If only it was as convenient as a bowl of cereal...

Tofu is quick enough in a pan. Few mins either side. But getting flavour into it is the problem! A lot of tasty asian sauces are oily and/or high cal :(

With an omelette I can add a little salt, pepper and a spring onion and I'm happy with how it tastes. Don't even need oil with a good non-stick pan..
Eggs are quick and tasty. I had some last night with chicken sausage, shishito pepper, shiitake mushrooms, green onion, and kale.

I was thinking that a dry rub of sorts on tofu would be good and wouldn't have nearly the calories of an oily sauce. I found this recipe and might give it a try: https://skinnyms.com/baked-tofu-chunks- ... e-dry-rub/

seaneT1

by seaneT1

I have lost around 40 kilos since starting competitive cycling 4 years ago and still going. Started at around 100 kilos, first year reached 78, then went down to 68, went up to 72 last april because my old coach wanted me to gain mass, failed miserably, and I am 62 kilos right now and still losing. First three years I was loosing weight completely through cycling, no dieting, only some small improvements towards a healthier nutrition throughout the years, but nothing much. Then last april came the "my fitness pal" app and the powermeter and since then my nutrition changed drastically and the kilos were dropping easily and controlled. All I did was riding my bike hard as usual, taking enough protein for recovery and checking my calorie intake as to always have a calorie deficit at the end of the day. As for nutrition, protein is my priority always, and I eat everything, no "banned" foods, for exampke, when I burn many calories during a day, I will almost always eat something sweet or something considered junk food etc... Timing is also key when eating, and so is eating the "right" amount of anything. Lastly, fasted training is something that I usually do as well and found helpfull, not only for possible fat burning, but for endurance training as well. Hope that this was usefull :)

853guy

by 853guy

joejack951 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:48 pm
853guy wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:17 pm
They're all just data points, Joejack. Each person should decide what's best for them, based on the available, and sometimes, inconclusive/conflicting research.

For whatever it's worth, a quick re-read of my post will show the only personal pronoun used above is “I”. That’s because I was sharing what I do, not what he/she/they should do, and certainly not what you should do.

Best,

853guy
I should have added a [sarcasm] tag to my response. But, I would also like to add that I personally get the impression that someone is attempting to speak with authority about a subject when they make a statement about something and then proceed to post a link to a study 'proving' their point. Generally when people try to speak with authority it is because they want people to follow/agree with them. It may not always be true but it's the impression I get. A more balanced post from you might have mentioned that there are conflicting studies and I would not have felt the need to post a snarky response.
Hello joejack,

Appeals to authority are a form of logical fallacy. I neither post links to suggest they are therefore authoritative, any more than I claim to be an authority myself. Maybe you missed these posts three pages ago where I wrote:

“Again - these are my personal observations based on what's worked best for me. I'm not willing to extrapolate my own individual experience to suggest this will be the case for the rest of the population, especially apropos those of declining hormone levels and increased ageing. Individual data points are no more or less than that.”

And followed it up with this:

“Again, all the above, and my preceding posts are simply my data points of losing and maintaining a healthy weight (and body recomposition) for my age via a long-term process of experimentation based on the available research I've seen. I honestly do not want to suggest that my experience will by everyone else's as the variables are too great, and also, I am not a competitive athlete, just someone who loves riding (so I cannot say anything about the likely results for those who are competing either at an amateur or pro level). Were we discussing Rapha vs Pas Normal Studios that would be one thing, but when it comes to other people’s health, I am neither an expert, nor do I claim to be one.”

As to whether you personally perceive my posts to be an attempt to get people to follow/agree with me and/or are “balanced”, that is something I can’t do anything about. Your impressions aren’t my responsibility. And your responses - snarky or otherwise - definitely aren’t. I try to evaluate each post on the merits of its content, not the intention or personality of the poster, which in any case I cannot claim to assume to know with any veracity, and certainly not from a couple of paragraphs written on a forum.
joejack951 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:48 pm
Anyway, when it comes to nutrition, it is rare to find a study that doesn't have a counter-study saying the opposite. I wasn't looking for a study refuting what your link claimed about soy but happened to click on a link on the same page about a 'related study' and there it was. I have no idea who funded either study but in my prior readings of both nutrition-related and various other subject matter-related studies, they are nearly all funded by interested parties in some way. Hence why I tend to ignore the vast majority of them and just focus on what makes sense and works for me.
Again, data points are data points. How they come to be funded neither invalidates their findings anymore than it validates them. Whether vested/conflicted interests have contributed to the data itself containing some form of bias is of less interest to me than whether than have any utility value in gaining insight into my evolving process of losing weight (loss) and keeping it off (over time). Like you, I simply do what works best for me.

Best,

853guy

853guy

by 853guy

Last weekend we moved into an apartment for the summer. It has digital bathroom scales, which we’ve not owned ourselves for probably seven years.

For kicks and giggles I thought I’d weight myself, which I had also not done for probably seven years.

Yesterday morning I weighed in at 63.0 kg. When I went to bed it was up to 63.5 kg. This morning, I weighed in at 62.7 kg.

Over a 24-hour period then, I gained 500 grams from my first weigh in and lost 300 grams, for a gross difference of 800 grams.

Which is why I personally don’t weigh myself. Day-to-day weight variation is a natural part of the way our bodies hold or release weight depending on numerous variables, all in constant fluctuation. Measured weight per se tells me nothing about my lean muscle mass to body fat composition, nor water storage or anything else. It’s simply a metric that needs to be evaluated dynamically over time rather than statically in time, in which body (re)composition should be the defining context.

I offer this as a single, individualized data point for whatever that may be worth.

Best,

853guy

niklaslampi

by niklaslampi

Shrike wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:47 am
Anyone cracked the code? :P
Yea I've successfuly lost around 12 kgs (25 lbs) of pure fat while maintaining my strength and muscle. I wasn't really overweight to start with though. But anyways, what I've found work is to slow down the caloirc deficit over time as you get leaner and leaner. What this does is making sure your body and mind adapts to a lower body weight slowly over time.

There is a small learning curve to this. Because you gotta learn how to track your calories. But it's definitely the best way in my opinion. You can read more about how to do this here: Setting up an optimal caloric deficit for fat loss Sure helped me :D

AJS914

by AJS914

I weigh myself at the same time of the morning before I've eaten food in order to give me a consistent weight trend.

joejack951

by joejack951

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:14 pm
I weigh myself at the same time of the morning before I've eaten food in order to give me a consistent weight trend.
Yup, this gives pretty consistent results. That said, I have weighed 4 kg more from one morning (following a long run) to the next night (after a big meal and obviously rehydrated, too) so I'm certainly not disagreeing with the presence of variation when weighing one's self.

Shrike

by Shrike

Also weigh myself daily, before breakfast. You do of course get big variations but it does give me a very useful trend regardless of that. Week on week, month on month. Using myfitnesspal and Trainingpeaks for a these days. Wish I'd started using them before. Really has been a boon to me to have everything dialed in so tightly.

TonyM

by TonyM

I also weigh myself in the morning, before breakfast and after the bathrom. I do this for more than 30 years....The trend is not good .... getting older ...:mrgreen: :| Joke aside it is a good method IMHO. You know then your winter and summer baselines etc...I also do the same in terms of my fat content since Tanita brought these scales with fat content more than 25 years ago. And now with the different app etc... the recording is quite easy :thumbup:

WinterRider

by WinterRider

niklaslampi wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:02 pm
Shrike wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:47 am
Anyone cracked the code? :P
Yea I've successfuly lost around 12 kgs (25 lbs) of pure fat while maintaining my strength and muscle. I wasn't really overweight to start with though. But anyways, what I've found work is to slow down the caloirc deficit over time as you get leaner and leaner. What this does is making sure your body and mind adapts to a lower body weight slowly over time.

There is a small learning curve to this. Because you gotta learn how to track your calories. But it's definitely the best way in my opinion. You can read more about how to do this here: Setting up an optimal caloric deficit for fat loss Sure helped me :D
:thumbup: Well done.

Your macro's... did you track them? How much protein?
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

gurk700

by gurk700

I went from 208lbs to 154lbs from August 1st 2015 to probably around March 2016.
I'm 149lbs right now.

So yeah I kept it off. And the secret is really there's none. Cycling became my life and I'm extremely unhappy and feel in a rut when I don't ride often.
Biggest break I took off of it was 3 weeks since I started in 2015 that was 2 weeks vacation + getting very sick for a week after I came back home.

I would also say that training, not just riding around but having a focus on performance increase definitely makes you more focused off the bike too. You think about what you eat etc.
Started to race now too which made me want to be fully fit even more. Just making your life revolve around a focused goal basically.

joejack951

by joejack951

gurk700 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:16 pm
Just making your life revolve around a focused goal basically.
If you broaden this a bit it captures what I feel is the 'secret': making physical exercise a necessary daily (and hopefully enjoyable) task. Whether I'm cycling or running, the only way I'm sticking to it (based on years of experience) is if I'm doing it nearly daily and making exceptions only for the most extraordinary reasons. If I start letting basic life tasks get in the way, that's the end of the 'habit' for me.

For example, when I bike commuted I rode my bike no matter the forecast. Heat, cold, rain, snow: none of it mattered. I missed days when I needed a car at work to drive somewhere from work and that was it, which amounted to maybe 10 days a year (weekends were usually off, though). I can't reasonably bike commute any more so I run nearly every morning before anyone in my household wakes up, including weekends. I've missed 29 days so far this year with many of them being due to moving earlier this year (so roughly 6 days/month off but only 10 total since the first week in March).

Still around the same weight I got down to in late 2017 (~150 lbs.)

kafreeman

by kafreeman

I've found since losing 120+ pounds I require daily or every other day activity. If not, I wind up getting unhappy because I feel like I have missed a plan I set out for myself.

I was working from home for about 8 years, daily lunch rides were easy. I had to return to the office in April. Rides have shifted to zwift in the mornings every other day, then a ride on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning.

Down to 208 from 330 over 18 months about 7 years ago. Bought a bike at around 275 lbs. I would hit the local rail trail in the morning before work.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com