Icarus Documentary

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

and 100 watts would make quite a difference... heck, I'd be happy if I could find 25 watts. Adding 100 watts would be so dramatic, he probably felt like Superman.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

prendrefeu wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:25 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigger,_Stronger,_Faster*

It's not cycling specific, but I thought it was very well done although ignored at the time, because, you know "AMERICA! NUMBER ONE!" or whatever bs mindset was heavily indocorinated at the time. This was before Lance Armstrong's revelations, when doping was still being pushed 'under the rug' so to speak. It also brought up associations with two of America's favorite obsessions in identity: entertainment/scripted wrestling and american football. So, naturally, it was mostly ignored at the time of release.

A criticism I have of the film is that it bluffs over the actual, proven and dangerous health effects of steroid usage. I believe this was mostly because the protagonist's own siblings are steroid users and thus made it easier for him to draw soft lines around real issues because of some subconcious denial of loss in his own family.
Take a gander at Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson-you could tell he was picking a whole lot of heavy things up and putting them down as a Div. 1 college football player in the '90s, but now in his 40s he's on a whole different level.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

If I heard it right, Bryan said that he increased his ftp from 250w to 350w.

Whilst that's a hell of an improvement, I'm more surprised by how competitive he was the first time with a 250w ftp?

Or am I missing something?
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

boysa

by boysa

100W? 25W?

I just want 10.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

AJS914

by AJS914

onemanpeloton wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:26 pm
If I heard it right, Bryan said that he increased his ftp from 250w to 350w.

Whilst that's a hell of an improvement, I'm more surprised by how competitive he was the first time with a 250w ftp?

Or am I missing something?

If you look at the 2014 results he is still 5-10-20-30 minutes off the pace each day from the top guys. I guess consistency got him a relatively high overall place in 2014.

kytyree

by kytyree

I found the documentary very interesting, personally I liked that it started off being one story that morphed into another. I don't understand calling that disjointed, to me that's the story.

Started listening to he podcast he did with Lance, also very interesting. Still a bit surreal to hear Lance talking about doping for me after having grown up listening to the denials, but that's another story.

RyanH

by RyanH

I'm a little incredulous about his claim of 350w which in the Stages podcast he said he was 58.5 kg if I recall correctly at his lowest and he said he could do the Latigo climb at 350w. Phil Gaimon currently holds the KOM for that and I know for a fact that Phil did that as an all out effort.

Levi did the climb at 33:33 and PG did it in 31:49. At Fogels claimed w/kg I think I calculated his time would have been sub 30 minutes.