Ramp test, new trainerroad ftp test

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

are

by are

Anyone try the new ramp test yet? I believe the plan is that it will replace the 8 minute and 20 minute ftp tests on trainerroad. It looks interesting, but I haven't had a good time to try it yet. Maybe this week.

Do people think it'd provide a good estimate of ftp?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JBeauBikes2

by JBeauBikes2

I did the Ramp Test on Friday night. If you have Facebook, TR has a group you can join called “TrainerRoad Beta Testers” and hundreds of people are posting their thoughts on the ramp test as well.

My thoughts on it are that it feels more like a race, pedaling hard and holding a wheel until you can’t anymore as opposed to the time-trial like pacing of the 20 minute test. The Ramp Test eliminates that.

As far as accuracy, I was skeptical because I made an insane power improvement (292 to 328 in first 4 weeks of Short Build HV)) and made it all the way to 146% of my FTP before I “failed”. TR commented saying 328 was my new threshold. Testing it yesterday, I’m able to knock out 4x15minute FTP intervals yesterday although it’s was grueling. Today I did Thimble +4 as well and was able to *barely* finish the workout, which I think is what Coach Chad aims for.

Can I hold 328 watts for an hour right now? Probably not, due to the fact I’m pretty untrained as I started training a year ago and a lack of mental toughness. From the workout I did, I think it’s definitely attainable if I focus training towards Z4 intervals instead of VO2 intervals.

Shrike

by Shrike

Yes, did this last night then did Carson -4 after it to get my TSS up. I had a nice FTP increase, which I wasn't expecting as I've been hitting the weight loss super hard and have been cracking on some of the longer 8min intervals lately in the build phase 1.

That said, I was hitting my best ever 5 to 11min power on that Ramp Test X so my power has definitely increased. Did 90min endurance today at the new FTP and my heart rate was perfect for it, so that was promising.

Tomorrow I have Mt. Hale +5 at a new 15watt increase. Going to be absolutely brutal. I need to stop the weight loss so dramatically, it's making everything ultra hard. Trying to load up the day before just isn't the same as when you're on maintenance. There's always this deep level of fatigue, different to normal overtraining fatigue.

Anyway, about the test, I'll update after I get a few properly solid threshold and Vo2 sessions out of the way, but people are getting some really accurate results with it. Missus will be taking her Ramp Test on Sunday, so can get feedback from her also. She's not cutting hard so her feedback is more useful really.

silvalis

by silvalis

Shane Miller did an interview on ramp tests a couple of years ago if you are interested in the details/maths. Not sure the TR protocol is the same
https://gplama.blogspot.com.au/2016/07/ ... hptek.html
Last edited by silvalis on Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chasse patate

are

by are

Cool. I'm not scheduled to do an ftp for ~2 weeks, but I might try it out this weekend anyway.

How big is each step, or does that vary with your starting ftp?

Also, I think the calc is ftp = 77% of best minute. Does that sound right? Seems a little daunting since VO2max intervals at 120% are already a bitch.

Shrike

by Shrike

6% per step. In terms of watts I was getting a 19w increase each time.

Really is not so bad, and it's over quickly. My entire test was 19min 19sec from start to failure. Stress score 30. The hard stuff is over quickly, you never go super deep as you're not allowed to surge or get out of the saddle. My HR max was 178.

No point comparing your TSS or ramps to other people, it will depend on how accurate your FTP is set on the day.

GL, enjoy it :)

tomee

by tomee

did it last night and it creeps up on you quick.

all up i did it in under 19 mins with a TSS of 30. for sh!ts and giggles I was browsing through everyone else's test on TR and saw a guy did it in 29mins came back with FTP of over 330w :shock:
if only...

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

ramp test is for lazy ppl, do a 20 minute power teest

jekyll man

by jekyll man

waltthizzney wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:23 am
20 min test is for lazy peeps, do a proper ~60 min test :wink:
Official cafe stop tester

Shrike

by Shrike

jekyll man wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:16 am
waltthizzney wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:23 am
20 min test is for lazy peeps, do a proper ~60 min test :wink:
My favourite test out of all is the 60 minute one.

But only out on the road with a strong tailwind, just feels class to put the boot down that hard and go that fast for that long :P

Does anyone do 60 on the trainer these days. Must still get some guys into it. That's evil :twisted:

bilwit

by bilwit

(bump)
Shrike wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:30 pm
Yes, did this last night then did Carson -4 after it to get my TSS up. I had a nice FTP increase, which I wasn't expecting as I've been hitting the weight loss super hard and have been cracking on some of the longer 8min intervals lately in the build phase 1.

That said, I was hitting my best ever 5 to 11min power on that Ramp Test X so my power has definitely increased. Did 90min endurance today at the new FTP and my heart rate was perfect for it, so that was promising.

Tomorrow I have Mt. Hale +5 at a new 15watt increase. Going to be absolutely brutal. I need to stop the weight loss so dramatically, it's making everything ultra hard. Trying to load up the day before just isn't the same as when you're on maintenance. There's always this deep level of fatigue, different to normal overtraining fatigue.

Anyway, about the test, I'll update after I get a few properly solid threshold and Vo2 sessions out of the way, but people are getting some really accurate results with it. Missus will be taking her Ramp Test on Sunday, so can get feedback from her also. She's not cutting hard so her feedback is more useful really.
I just went through the same last night and I couldn't do it. After a 4 week block of Sustained HV (which btw, the first Ramp Test I did I undershot by a lot and it was apparent, then I did it again with a goal more in line with where I thought I was and that result was spot on given how the rest of the three weeks after went), I did the Ramp Test again on Tuesday with a set goal in mind and just gutted it out. The result was an 11% FTP increase which was quite a lot, then Mt Hale +6 two days after and I could hardly turn the pedals over a couple minutes into the 3rd interval (it's 4x 9min @ 105% FTP).. absolutely devastating. Had to tone it down to 87% overall to complete and knocked that 11% FTP increase in half afterward which is probably more realistic. If I look at my 8 min splits of Mt Hale, those first two intervals were basically the 8min FTP test and the numbers work out to be my newly self-adjusted FTP plus two watts

Going forward I'm not sure I can trust the Ramp Test.. nothing is perfect but I think the danger of overshooting on the result is much higher than 2x8min :noidea:

Shrike

by Shrike

bilwit wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:36 pm
(bump)
Shrike wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:30 pm

I just went through the same last night and I couldn't do it. After a 4 week block of Sustained HV (which btw, the first Ramp Test I did I undershot by a lot and it was apparent, then I did it again with a goal more in line with where I thought I was and that result was spot on given how the rest of the three weeks after went), I did the Ramp Test again on Tuesday with a set goal in mind and just gutted it out. The result was an 11% FTP increase which was quite a lot, then Mt Hale +6 two days after and I could hardly turn the pedals over a couple minutes into the 3rd interval (it's 4x 9min @ 105% FTP).. absolutely devastating. Had to tone it down to 87% overall to complete and knocked that 11% FTP increase in half afterward which is probably more realistic. If I look at my 8 min splits of Mt Hale, those first two intervals were basically the 8min FTP test and the numbers work out to be my newly self-adjusted FTP plus two watts

Going forward I'm not sure I can trust the Ramp Test.. nothing is perfect but I think the danger of overshooting on the result is much higher than 2x8min :noidea:
I'm revisiting this same issue at the moment. To trust or not to trust. I have a feeling that we're in the camp where we're better at the higher end stuff than the sustained power stuff so our Ramp Tests give too large FTP values.

bilwit

by bilwit

Shrike wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:49 pm
I'm revisiting this same issue at the moment. To trust or not to trust. I have a feeling that we're in the camp where we're better at the higher end stuff than the sustained power stuff so our Ramp Tests give too large FTP values.
I've been contemplating doing the Ramp Test based on cadence, ie. if I drop to ~50 RPM then call it a quits. The "go until you physically can't" concept just doesn't work when you can always just grit your teeth and turn the pedals (albeit at an absolute snail rate). Haven't convinced myself to do this yet though.. I think once you generally know where you're at there's no real need to do assessments like this. If I do a threshold workout and it's real tough at the end but I can get through it, then it's right. If I physically can't complete a workout then it's wrong. If I feel like it's way too easy at the end, then I can just bump up the FTP ~5W and see how the next one feels, etc.

Currently the approach I'm taking when doing one of their training plans is swapping both Ramp Tests for one of the last Tuesday workouts and when I complete that plan, depending on how I'm feeling, I'll nudge the FTP up a little bit and repeat. I feel like there's no way in hell that my FTP is changing much at all after four weeks so it's not really worth the risk of putting myself in a hole and possibly getting it wrong. Every time I get far in a plan and have a day where I just can't finish the workout (miscalculated new FTP is a factor), I get so discouraged and cancel the plan and take about a month off the trainer (only unstructured rides).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com