Espresso....

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Weytz

by Weytz

single origin coffee tastes great

nfecyle

by nfecyle

2 espressso drink perday. I dont drink coffee before I go for riding. I figure caffeine is diuretics, and I like to keep water in my body. Its not like I am racing or go on fast group ride. Most of my ride is solo anyway.
My set up with limited counter space is PID Rancilio Silvia with M47 Kinu Grinder.
Bean is locally sourced here in SD, I think a lot of great local roastery in my area. Birdrock, Zumbar, Mostra, James..
Favorite drink is cortado I guess ? 19 gram bean in VST basket to get 30 ml of espresso+ 50 ml of microfoamed milk.
I do single origin (ethopian) sometimes for straight shot or machiato..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jugi

by Jugi

Every body has an individual reaction to caffeine, but usually (statistically) the amount of liquid in a cup of coffee is more than the amount that'll be added into urine because of the caffeine.

bigfatty

by bigfatty

not a fan of coffee, but do take 100mg tablets of caffeine rarely. coffee you never know what dosage you are getting.
also, regular coffee drinking makes your more tired.
recently G tHomas made a comment he stopped drinking coffee so when he did use caffeine it would have the desired effect

User Name

by User Name

FIJIGabe wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:02 pm
User Name wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:17 pm
I'm not reading the whole thread. :D For those who don't know, one of the cheapest ways to make very nice coffee with ground beans is with a moka pot.
It obviously depends on the coffee. I've had worse coffees made with home machines that cost hundreds of dollars.

The only catch with using them is that require monitoring, because once the water boils out of the bottom and through the coffee, there's nothing stopping the empty pot cooking on the stove. :D Yes, I've wrecked a couple over the years.

I can't use a plunger; they're farkin voodoo to me, Ha
That's what I use, every morning!
Good value, hey?! I didn't even know what they were (or that those and similar things were available) until I was about 30 when a friend with Italian parents showed me. I even worked out that it can be cheaper than "decent" instant coffee, provided, of course, I can get ground stuff at a good price.

In Aus supermarkets, anything under $20/kg for decent ground beans is a good price, I reckon. My latest favourite is Vittoria Oro. Ok, there are better coffees out there, but it's often discounted at Woolworths for $18.50 for a kg pack, which makes it good value

bigfatty

by bigfatty

FIJIGabe wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:34 pm
I just discovered this thread. Personally, I don't drink traditional Italian espresso, but "Cuban coffee", which is espresso w/ a significant amount of sugar. I make a small 2-cup moka pot, every morning and drink it w/ 6oz of warmed coffee. In the afternoons, I'll mix that same 2 cups of coffee w/ about 2 tbsp of sugar and make a frothy cream - it's all in the wrist ;), which is absolutely delicious.
mmmm, reminds me of espresso with panela in colombia. coffee in colombia is general disgusting but when you find a good one make sure you get it with panela, even if like me, you do not like sugar.

bigfatty

by bigfatty

and I see one poster mentions "cortados" in girona, next time you are in spain, in summer at least, ask for it with "con hielo" ( "con gel" in catalonia), it is normal coffee but with a big ol' ice cube in it. perfect

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

bigfatty wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:07 pm
and I see one poster mentions "cortados" in girona, next time you are in spain, in summer at least, ask for it with "con hielo" ( "con gel" in catalonia), it is normal coffee but with a big ol' ice cube in it. perfect
I'll be there in September. One of my personal all-time favorites was a coffee I had in Saltzburg. It was a shot of espresso on a serving of sweetened condensed milk. You stirred it around and then had the shot. Absolutely to die for.

lucksun

by lucksun

Although different people are different, espresso is a good bicycle food if it fits.

kytyree

by kytyree

I added PID to my Gaggia Classic, really has made a difference in consistently getting good results. Since this photo I also swapped out the pinarello wand, a nice upgrade as well but not as important as the PID.

I enjoy watching the bottomless portafilter myself. But in general I prefer my bottomless portafilter to the one the machine came with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goodboyr

by goodboyr

How do you like the Settle 270 grinder? I have the 270w and I just upgraded the display board to the 270wi. Very happy with it now. Image

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

kytyree

by kytyree

I haven’t had it very long but so far I think the 270 is suited to my needs.

Ed72

by Ed72

2-3 espressos every day. I ride every day.

Quickmill Vetrano 2B machine and Compak E5 essential grinder....the real snobs would consider this a "Shimano 105 setup" in their world

Lavazza Super Crema beans or Black Pearl. Lavazza is good for the price if the beans are reasonably fresh. I get 2 Kg bags

202F for the Lavazza and 204F for the Black Pearl. 25-30 second shot. I forget the pressure but around 9.5-10 bar.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

As one of the resident Italians, caffé (no need to specify espresso!) is a food group.

4-6 per day, whenever, made with a moka. Fortunately good roast can be found both in Peru and in the Washington DC area (it's a long story) so I am happy...

Always annoyed when I travel (I spend quite a bit of time on the road) with the quality (or lack thereof) of coffee.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Powerful Pete wrote: Always annoyed when I travel (I spend quite a bit of time on the road) with the quality (or lack thereof) of coffee.
I hear you. It continues to be the one thing I hate the most going to places where good coffee is not ubiquitous!!!

Went to Costa Rica a few weeks ago only to be surprised by the best coffees everywhere. Even in ver remote areas where one would not expect to see a US$15k machine in a gas station!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com