Espresso....

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

That's great to hear dgasmd - in a rather extensive family vacation a few years ago (ok, over a decade) to Costa Rica, the coffee was rather poor. Something I have experienced throughout the Americas - it seems that traditionally the good stuff gets exported for dollars. Nice to see that changing!
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

You guys need to visit New Zealand. Unreal coffee culture there, and no Charbucks!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hugob

by hugob

Nothing like the real espresso made with italian machine like bialetti !

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Felt a bit inspired today on my 3rd espresso, so took out the bottomless portafilter.

It’s WW, so had to throw in the scale!

Super delicious!!

PinaF8

by PinaF8

I love this thread. Home espresso machine.

S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Resurrecting this dinosaur as I have the time this morning and was boredImageImageImage

On my 3rd espresso of the day decided to take out the bottomless portafilter I haven’t use in a year. Tasted fine, but the lack of practice for consistency shows in the pict. Will have to do some “interval tamping training” todayImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

goodboyr wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:59 pm
You guys need to visit New Zealand. Unreal coffee culture there, and no Charbucks!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Haha Charbucks, that says it all. Sorry I only just discovered this thread and reading front to back.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

robertbb

by robertbb

I finally took the plunge (see what I did there? :lol: ) and bought a proper Espresso machine for home.

After weeks of research and trips to different shops I pulled the trigger on a Breville Dual Boiler (BES920) and Smart Grinder Pro, both in brushed stainless (because steel is real!)

I realise Breville is the "Giant" of the coffee machine world, but I wanted to get something of high quality at an achieveable price point and the Dual Boiler ticks that box. Maybe some day I'll upgrade to something Italian, just as I went from Shimano to Campagnolo and never looked back - but for now this combination gives me all the tools to learn.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

robertbb wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:09 am
I finally took the plunge (see what I did there? :lol: ) and bought a proper Espresso machine for home.

After weeks of research and trips to different shops I pulled the trigger on a Breville Dual Boiler (BES920) and Smart Grinder Pro, both in brushed stainless (because steel is real!)

I realise Breville is the "Giant" of the coffee machine world, but I wanted to get something of high quality at an achieveable price point and the Dual Boiler ticks that box. Maybe some day I'll upgrade to something Italian, just as I went from Shimano to Campagnolo and never looked back - but for now this combination gives me all the tools to learn.
This is the internet. Pictures or it didn't happen!! :smartass:

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Maybe a little off thread but I love my coffee [like all cyclists] I have a Rocket machine from Milano and I have a Rocket cycling jersey..... when I stumbled upon it [the jersey that is] on EB i had to have it :D
BB

Coffee & carbon

robertbb

by robertbb

dgasmd wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:23 am
robertbb wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:09 am

This is the internet. Pictures or it didn't happen!! :smartass:

With my Bob Marley artwork above and my alloy Canyon Ultimate photobombing...

For some reason embedding images won't work.

http://ibb.co/mh5nxKz

and

http://ibb.co/L0bG6Cc

3Pio

by 3Pio

Since i started this thread i upgrade my Espresso setup my self.. Nothing super expensive, but enough for good espressos.

I bought a New model Gaggia Classic Espresso machine (2019-2020 version), and also Gaggia MDF Grinder...

One of the marketing trick for this new model was that is adjusted to 9 bar.. Decide to check my self, and i found that pressure was 12 bar

So while this have less plastic and proper Cappucino steap wand, they made worst pressure adjusting.. While in 2015 model adjustment is done by screws, on this new model there is spring which teoreticaly can not be adjusted..

But... I removed that spring, realized that spring make the pressure, so cut a little bit of it.. Measured again: 11.5 bar.. Ok more cutting, until i reached pressure i like 9 bar

So now almost perfect espresso.. i start the day with two cappucinos then switch to espresso to the end of the day....

Next upgrade will be botomless filter...

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I've recently treated myself to a Sage (Breville) Barista Pro, an all-in-one bean to cup machine, and I love it!

My latte art is appalling, but by god I make a good flat white now...

Now learning about beans, after a month of trying many, many types, I'm settling on a lighter bean with sweet, nutty and chocolaty tones.

It's been a great learning curve, but has escalated my coffee snobbery to new levels. Hate paying for substandard coffee now :lol:
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

kytyree

by kytyree

3Pio wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:47 am
One of the marketing trick for this new model was that is adjusted to 9 bar.. Decide to check my self, and i found that pressure was 12 bar

So while this have less plastic and proper Cappucino steap wand, they made worst pressure adjusting.. While in 2015 model adjustment is done by screws, on this new model there is spring which teoreticaly can not be adjusted..

Next upgrade will be botomless filter...
I'm curious why they changed that? Mine is not very old but old enough that I can adjust the pressure. Definite improvement after I turned it down, I think I remember reading that the higher pressures were better suited to using pods? I've never tried them.

Mine came with the old wand, Pinarello?, there's a picture of it earlier in the thread. But I've since removed that and put a wand from the Rancilio Silva on there, much better. I've got a bottomless porta filter, I do like to watch it, it just looks much cooler than the spout. I'll have to use it this afternoon.

I do want to mess with one of the fancier machines like a Rocket or Profitec 500 but my modified Gaggia Classic does realistically do everything everything I need it to do now. If entertained more then the speed of a more powerful machine would be nice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Abie28

by Abie28

Calnago wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:56 pm
Oooh... challenges have been laid down. I like it. Hey, are those actual pics from your guys machines at home, or did you steal them from coffee machine site. Cuz that wouldn't be fair ya know. But if actual pics from home, then let the games begin...
:popcorn:
Talking about coffee..... Do you drink coffee? Because I really feel the need for coffee these days so I decided to buy a coffee machine. I still don't know which one to choose: Rancilio Silvia or Gaggia Classic. I googled it a bit, there is a site that has a list of pros and cons: https://coffee-works.com/gaggia-classic ... io-silvia/ but in my opinion, is best to hear the facts from experience. Thank you