Espresso....

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

Mine are legit
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok them. I’m impressed.
@dgasmd?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Calnago wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:56 pm
Hey, are those actual pics from your guys machines at home, or did you steal them from coffee machine site.
That is all mine. I wouldn't even bother to copy paste. And the side channeling, as ever so brief as it is reflects the very beginning of the shot. It centers soon enough after than.

In other words, I win. You are welcome. Better luck next time :beerchug: :welcome: :D :lol: :D

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

Pics or it didn't happen. I can get tiger striping with side channeling, too.

TonyM

by TonyM

Guys what you post here is just insanely good looking!

I was never a coffee guy but I start to change!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Liquidcooled and @dgasmd...
Showdown! Show us your next home made coffee drink in the next 24 hours for the deciding vote. And anyone else who cares to partake in the madness.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

Here ya go--striping, no channeling, and a centered stream:

And for extra points, some more latte art:

glepore

by glepore

beautiful, shame to waste it on a milk drink :)

Still no GS3 pics...
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nice! What’s your dose in that portafilter? And I am yet to EVER have been able to produce latte art like you show there. Make a video. Teach us.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

LiquidCooled wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:49 pm
Here ya go--striping, no channeling, and a centered stream:

Ooohhhhh, that is very nice. Very very nice indeed. What coffee, temp, shot running time, and dose are you using?
Calnago wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:32 pm
Nice! What’s your dose in that portafilter? And I am yet to EVER have been able to produce latte art like you show there. Make a video. Teach us.
Latte art is like anything else: practice practice practice.........The hardest part is to learn how to froth the milk appropriately. Something I am yet to get even mediocre at. Mostly because I never make mixed drinks.

Neddysmith

by Neddysmith

Yeah another vote here for the Rancilio Silvia, great machine and with a little practice produces beautiful coffee shots time and time again.....

OH and i only ever get freshly roasted coffee from the local cafe which import and roast their own coffee.....:)

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

i only drink espresso when i go out for dinner. when i go out biking i picked up a cortado habit from my trips to girona. i do have an old fashioned stove top bialata espresso maker. its fantastic. so i laugh when people spend hundreds of dollars on electric contraptions
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

Holy crap fellas. I was going to post some of my layered drinks (my real preference is of course normal espresso and ristretto) but you've set the bar too high.

Really. Damn. Impressive.

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

Calnago wrote:
dgasmd wrote: Ooohhhhh, that is very nice. Very very nice indeed. What coffee, temp, shot running time, and dose are you using?
Thanks. The coffee is Dolce by Espresso Vivace in Seattle. I've been ordering from them for almost 15 years. Though I've tried other beans now and then, I have not found any beans that I like better than Vivace's. Temp on the machine is 95 deg C. Of course, I run a shot of just water without the portafilter in place to make sure the grouphead is at the right temp before I pull a shot for real. Dose is 18 grams. Extraction takes 30-35 seconds (including a 4 second pre-infusion) for a double shot (2 oz).

Here's a little trick if you want to get that striping during the extraction: after dosing your grounds into the portafilter, stir the grounds gently with a toothpick. This will help prevent clumping and non-uniformity (which causes channeling). After stirring, tamp and extract as usual. Assuming that everything else is fine, I'll get those nice tiger stripes 95% of the time. Without the stirring, it's more like 40-50% of the time. I usually don't do the stirring because the marginal gains in taste are usually not worth the effort (for me).
dgasmd wrote: Latte art is like anything else: practice practice practice.........The hardest part is to learn how to froth the milk appropriately. Something I am yet to get even mediocre at. Mostly because I never make mixed drinks.
Agreed. There are a ton of videos and written guides on the web to teach you how to do latte art. I doubt I could do better than what's already out there. Latte art is 90% steaming the milk and 10% pouring the milk. I've been learning how to do it for 15 years. Because I only have one or two lattes per day, it took a long time to get the hang of it. It's probably only in the last 5 years that I can consistently pull off nice latte art. Before that, it was hit or miss. So yeah, practice, practice, practice.

I will say one thing, though. The machine makes a big difference. I had (and still have) a Rancilio Silvia. It's a great machine, but its single-boiler design is really not optimized for steaming milk (especially for multiple, back-to-back lattes). A true double-boiler machine with a powerful, dedicated boiler for steaming (like the Vivaldi) can really push out some hot, dry steam. That definitely helps when steaming milk, and making consistently good latte art.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

LiquidCooled wrote:
Calnago wrote:
dgasmd wrote: Ooohhhhh, that is very nice. Very very nice indeed. What coffee, temp, shot running time, and dose are you using?
Thanks. The coffee is Dolce by Espresso Vivace in Seattle. I've been ordering from them for almost 15 years. Though I've tried other beans now and then, I have not found any beans that I like better than Vivace's. Temp on the machine is 95 deg C. Of course, I run a shot of just water without the portafilter in place to make sure the grouphead is at the right temp before I pull a shot for real. Dose is 18 grams. Extraction takes 30-35 seconds (including a 4 second pre-infusion) for a double shot (2 oz).

Here's a little trick if you want to get that striping during the extraction: after dosing your grounds into the portafilter, stir the grounds gently with a toothpick. This will help prevent clumping and non-uniformity (which causes channeling). After stirring, tamp and extract as usual. Assuming that everything else is fine, I'll get those nice tiger stripes 95% of the time. Without the stirring, it's more like 40-50% of the time. I usually don't do the stirring because the marginal gains in taste are usually not worth the effort (for me).

Stirring does help quite a bit, and like yourself, I’ve never been able to taste the difference. I hardly ever use a bottomless portafilter, so I forget about it 99% of the time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com