Espresso....

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

3Pio

by 3Pio

As somehow Espresso is part of cycling and there is no topic about this for now, im opening this topic:)

For now i have this questions (and my answers) but feel free to continue with everything related to this topic...

1. How many esspresso cups u drink per day?

Im drinking about 4-5 espresso cups per day

2. What kind?

Until now i was using Illy IperEspresso pods, but as i found too expensive per cup, and also too restricted to Illy as brand, i bought Saeco Poemia 8425. It can use Ground coffee and ESE Pods.

Still experimenting which one is my favourite espresso for now.. Seem more caffeine per cup vs my Illy machine, so feel a bit dizzy after 4 espresso's :)

3. What kind of Espresso Machine u use and how u prepare it?

Saeco Poemia 8425. 11 gm of coffee per cup (probably i need to use a bit smaller amount, maybe 8 gms)

4. Do u drink more cups when u are cycling vs non cycling days?

Absolutely more when im cycling:)

So feel free to share ur coffee experiences...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dgasmd

by dgasmd

ImageImage

That should answer a couple of questions. Regardless of cycling, I have between 3-8 double espresso/semi longo (21grm each) per day. Have been using a custom blend from a toaster in NC (USA) for a while now.

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

I usually have 2-3 per day. At home I have a groovy manual machine. At the office, I use a super-automatic, Gaggia Accademia. It's simply cleaner and more efficient during the workday -- and honestly makes a darn fine espresso, considering it grinds, doses, tamps, shoots, and discards all at the touch of a button.

glepore

by glepore

@dgasmd-I'll trade my 108 in screen for your Vivaldi, straight up...

Actually, I'm happy with my Breville Dual Boiler. Looks like an appliance, and some midgrade parts, but the basic temp and pressure control are stunning, on a GS3 level. Pump pressure can do Slayer style stepped infusion. Love my 2 shots/day.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

AJS914

by AJS914

I've had a Rancilio Silvia going on 17 years now. It's a fantastic old school manual machine.

It needs a 500K mile tuneup after all this time. The boiler has developed a small leak but all it should need is a gasket.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

3Pio wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:22 pm
Still experimenting which one is my favourite espresso for now.. Seem more caffeine per cup vs my Illy machine, so feel a bit dizzy after 4 espresso's :)
Maybe you should avoid having them all at once :lol:

I don't have espressos. I have maybe two regular cups a day. One in the morning and one after lunch. Doesn't matter riding or not, in fact if I'm short of time before a longer ride in the morning I'd pay more attention to finishing a big bowl of oatmeal than a cup of coffee.

I have to confess that I'm using a mocha pot rated for 4 cups and I fill it with 80% every time. Dangerous? Perhaps, but keeps me going...
AJS914 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:04 am
It needs a 500K mile tuneup after all this time. The boiler has developed a small leak but all it should need is a gasket.
500k mile tuneup? That is one well traveled coffee machine. :lol:

/a
Last edited by alcatraz on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

AJS914

by AJS914

It's like dog years for an espresso machine. :-)

3Pio

by 3Pio

alcatraz wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:13 am
3Pio wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:22 pm
Maybe you should avoid having them all at once :lol:

I don't have espressos. I have maybe two regular cups a day. One in the morning and one after lunch. Doesn't matter riding or not, in fact if I'm short of time before a longer ride in the morning I'd pay more attention to finishing a big bowl of oatmeal than a cup of coffee.

I have to confess that I'm using a mocha pot rated for 4 cups and I fill it with 80% every time. Dangerous? Perhaps, but keeps me going...
AJS914 wrote:

500k mile tuneup? That is one well traveled coffee machine. :lol:

/a

I switched to this machine yesterday, so could not resist experimenting and testing :)

Ussually this is my pattern:

First espresso in the morning, still in the bed while reading book, news or browsing Weightweenies :)

Breakfast , then another shot of espresso

If im going for a ride, im drinking one more just before the ride..

And until the end of the day one or two more :)

This new machine is cheap one, and not like other members post it :), but seem that is good enough for few espressos per day..

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpin ... =HD8425/11 (about 150-200 USD)

Will see how long will last it :)

Main reason for buying was to be able to experiment with different coffee types, and also after i realized how expensive are Illy Pods and now worth the huge price difference (3 or 4 times more expensive then using ground coffee with new machine per cup) (feel like Donkey about this :) )

Also if there is some other who is stucked with propriety pods, there is interesting hack :) (on propriety machines to be able to use ground coffee and not be stucked just with pods from manufacturer)

Sending the link for Illy IperEspresso, but if u browse u'll find for other types as well (DolgeGusto, Nespresso...)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Capsulo ... autifyAB=4

Conza

by Conza

Don't have any :shock: . No coffee :lol: .
It's all about the adventure :o .

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

At what point does "casual coffee drinking" become a "coffee habit" become a "drug addiction"?
Some of the responses in here seem extreme and can't be healthy. I rarely touch the stuff. Only when it's put in front of me or I'm getting tired during a long drive.

Conza

by Conza

I can see myself getting addicted. So easier to not start the habit, than try breaking it :lol: .

The savings all go to the bike anyway :oops: .
It's all about the adventure :o .

853guy

by 853guy

AJS914 wrote:
I've had a Rancilio Silvia going on 17 years now. It's a fantastic old school manual machine.

+1.

For those that don't want to go for a Rocket or a plumbed-in option like the La Marzocco GS/3 for space/price reasons, the Rancilio is great at less than half the price of the Rocket (if you can live without the heat exchanger, and don't need to do multiple consecutive shots).

I often have a single espresso pre-ride, and then a Bulletproof-style coffee or two post ride, but always before 2pm or I am screwed.

Best,

853guy

dgasmd

by dgasmd

AJS914 wrote:I've had a Rancilio Silvia going on 17 years now. It's a fantastic old school manual machine.

Those are as bullet-proof as it gets and last decades with little care and decent maintenance.

Caffeine addiction is a real addiction as any. About a year ago my machine was down for repairs for about 2 months and I was closed to stabbing someone at random many times. Between the headaches, short fused anger moments, and easily triggered by everything I might as well have been on steroids or coming off crack!!

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

I take a pre workout before riding or lifting . I used to drink a lot of Diet “caffeine” Coke. I now drink the caffeine free pepsi and not as much as well. You keep drinking caffeine daily and the effect becomes zero . When I stopped drinking the caffeine coke and had a cup of coffee it really wired me up where as before it had no effect whatsoever.
I sleep much better and feel more relaxed and training is just as good because the pre workout really has an effect .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

1 - 5-6 cups a day, and I have no other source of caffeine.

2 - I buy 1 kg bags of Italian coffee beans online and grind them myself with a secondhand Cimbali grinder that I refurbished.

3 - I have a ten year old Isomac Ziffaro, which is a great machine with a proper E-61 grouphead. Last year I serviced the grouphead and it's working as new. I've had an old Philips espresso machine that was £3 in a boot fair back in the 1980s, then a Gaggia Classic, followed by aRancilio Silivia, I sold the latter when I bought the Isomac.

4 - I don't increase my espresso intake when cycling.